Finally ran the new 347 combo at the track

87Mustang351 said:
can i ask why u shift so high? 6,500 seems alot my car has a 351 with quite a few mods and my red line is 5.8 well my monster tach is thats what fuse is in it for the shift lite...i hope yas can make sence of this i also run 4:10 svo gears

I designed this combo for mid-high end power. I believe 6,700 is an ideal shift or at least for the 1-2 shift. The powerband on the camshft spec sheet is 3200-6400 and obviously you wanna shift a little past that. Right now I have the 6,400 rpm pill in my shift light so you figure by the time I shift its about 6,500.

Jason, 4.30's, 31 spline axles and a 31 spline posi unit are my next big plans. Then either an ET street or a et street drag radial.

Dave, If I remember, I shifted the first combo (tfs h/c/i package) around 5700-5800. When I upgraded to the FTI cam and longtubes, I found best shifts around 6000-6200. That combo had a ton more potential if I were to set it up right but I built a stroker instead :nice: That engine needed a ported rpm manifold, 4.10 gears and major pms tuning.

• Sponsors (?)

Mike what were your 330ft numbers? That tells me a lot.

Another area I find a lot of guys lose power is in valvetrain adjustment, might be an area to recheck. I think your car will go 120mph with a few changes... Can you get to a dyno so you can see what the curves look like?

Are you sure 4:30's with a 26" tall tire is a good idea? I would, first of all, use a 28" tire instead, and then also 4:10's max. I think that's way too much gear, not only for a street car, but I think you'll easily be at the rev limiter with that combo... no point in maxing out your top speed for a slight increase in acceleration.

Rick, 330' was 5.47. The car is slow to the 1/8 mile due to my horrible launch, then picks up a lot of steam to the 1/4. I re-did the rocker adjustment a few months ago. I set them a little looser. They're between 1/4 and 1/2 turn. I may hit up a dyno after I swap the head and manifold blts to studs. I may end up having my lower manifold milled to match better. I have to talk to the machine shop.

dead, 4.30's and a 26" tire would be ideal for the combo. I have already asked Ed Curtis about this and he said its a smart move. Its far from too much gear, I am gearing the car for the combo. I have a PMS where I can adjust the limiter, right now its set to 6,800. I am not maxing out my top speed, nor do I care about top speed. There is no where around here to do 150+ mph runs nor do I want to do that.

To Rick's comment - I assume you did a check for proper length on the pushrods with a dial, solid and adjustable. After that, put it all together and check the roller location on each and every stem at no lift and max lift - if the geometry is off it will show on the roller-to-stem at max lift.

Tom, I did check length and I used a home made solid lifter. I tried the 6.7" pushrods I had first and the geometry looked fine to me. Then I tried messing with the adj checker i have and that seemed to make the geometry look worse. Rick told me he checked p to v clearance and pushrod length on my engine before he shipped me the shortblock. I remember he said he has a 58cc TW head in his shop he used.

I am highly certain the problem is my horrible driving/launching and not enough gear.