Flex-A-Lite Electra fan or black magic fan, whats' better?

bgjohnson

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2002
johnston,iowa
well just like the title says, which one is better. I know the mark lllV(I think that's how it's spelled) fan is the best, but what's one of the best that is an aftermarket fan? the car will have about 300hp at the crank and it will have a 3 core brass radiator(less money). so it has to cool pretty well. thanks for the input.

chris

• Sponsors (?)

not sure if flex a lite makes more than one model but, if thats a typing error and if it should read electric...then the black magic is the same as flex a lite...flex a lite = company and black magic = the fan.............

but im prolly wrong and there are 2 types

Just search and find a junkyard with a Mk VIII fan, i ended up getting mine for 35$ and got a 130amp alt for 25$.
By the way Black331Stang...How did you change your username? I really want to change mine since i was like 113 when i made it lol.

Black331Stang said:
not sure if flex a lite makes more than one model but, if thats a typing error and if it should read electric...then the black magic is the same as flex a lite...flex a lite = company and black magic = the fan.............

but im prolly wrong and there are 2 types

Yeah I'm pretty sure their the same.....the previous owner of my car put in a black magic fan and in my glove compartment was a Flexalite sticker...

David

not that it answers your question, but with what i know, were i not to go with oem stuff (mark 8, Taurus 3.8), i would go with Spal. real nice product

leakyfaucet said:
What cars came with the MarkVIII fan, just the taurus 3.8? If so, what years?
What's this about drawing 100 amps?!?!?!
the mark VIII is a car (hope Mustang 5L5 doesnt see that. LOL) . folks take the fan out of them. definately need a 100 amp plus alt to support it. the thing is a tornado. at start up, it can draw juice like a hungry vampire.

others use the taurus fan (use one from a taurus with a 3.8). it draws less juice and has two speeds. when i do it, ill do the mark 8, as it gets sooooo hot in tucson.

MadMatt5oh said:
Holy crap! 100 amps? Jesus, one upgrade at a time! Looks like if I was deadset on it a 3g might not be good enough if thats the case! What alt does the mark 8 have?
as i recall, it runs at around 30-42 amps (depends upon system voltage), but at start up (car is real hot and fan comes on with ignition), it can take up to 100 amps to get it rolling (from rest). i think i remember that right.

got my fan off of summit, direct 5.0L replacement, comes with temp controled on/off, as well as a/c on, and also has a spot to hook up a switch to have it on when you tell it to be. I love it, went right in, cools like a mo fo and no need for a big ass alt. i like to fab things, btu when it comes to stuff liek that, throw it in, it works, no over heating, no remounting and "rigging" no worries. race, street coveres em all.

mustang90 said:
i need to mount the fan in front of the radiator behind the front bumper. is that a pusher or puller type fan?
that is a pusher. generally better for cooler climates. it pushes air through, but cuz it is in front of the rad, even when its not working, it blocks the air from getting to the rad. make sense. i would not run one in a real hot climate.
i like pullers better.

I would like to mount it in front of the radiator but I just don'e have enough room! My fluidyne radiator and supercharger take up all the space. Any brand to recomend for a pisher fan?