Ford Tech Question

• Sponsors (?)

the reason I ask is I had previously had a new shim kit installed 20k miles ago when I last changed my gears. Also I dont see why they wouldnt use new shims since its just somthing extra to charge me for.

bigcat said:
and i seem to find all the hacks for warranty work. i see alot of hacks in bodyshops too, so its always a good idea to find someone you can personally trust. :nice:

I can fill a 1000 posts with horror stories I have seen just in the shops I have worked in. Put it this way. the guy working next to me can not even tell you what cylinder is number 1. He can not tell bank 1 from bank 2 and he is suppoesdly a ford tech. :nonono:

Every shop gets hacks now and then. I have been at the same dealership for getting close to 5 years now and you know a hack when you see one. It blows me away what these people don't even know, from simple electronics to even using a scan tool. They don't last long and then its on to the next dealership for them. I don't even know why my dealership would even higher them in the first place :nonono:

5.0's 4 ever said:
Every shop gets hacks now and then. I have been at the same dealership for getting close to 5 years now and you know a hack when you see one. It blows me away what these people don't even know, from simple electronics to even using a scan tool. They don't last long and then its on to the next dealership for them. I don't even know why my dealership would even higher them in the first place :nonono:
just to fill the position. a body there is better than an empty stall in the dealers eyes.

5.0's 4 ever said:

Well they come in and claim they know how to do everything. The mangement gets fooled by them and it takes awile to weed them out.

Sad thing is in my shop as long as they upsell and make lots of hours they will stay employed no matter how many comebacks they have.

svttech76 said:
Well they come in and claim they know how to do everything. The mangement gets fooled by them and it takes awile to weed them out.

Sad thing is in my shop as long as they upsell and make lots of hours they will stay employed no matter how many comebacks they have.

yup had that in one of the shops i worked at. But it all changed after this guy supposedly did a tranny job that payed like 16-19Hrs. waranty, i got the car for a leak and the previous tech had messed up the tranny housing where the output shaft goes and it was just gushing tranny fluid from the seal. Took it apart and he only replaced half of the stuff he got fired on the spot. cause they called all teh customers that he had done a tranny on and guess what same thing...:nonono:

svttech76 said:

Yup. I have seen it at every place. Been at Toyota for 14 months and see it often. Seen it at Ford and when I worked for smaller repair shops.

03ghoststang said:
yup had that in one of the shops i worked at. But it all changed after this guy supposedly did a tranny job that payed like 16-19Hrs. waranty, i got the car for a leak and the previous tech had messed up the tranny housing where the output shaft goes and it was just gushing tranny fluid from the seal. Took it apart and he only replaced half of the stuff he got fired on the spot. cause they called all teh customers that he had done a tranny on and guess what same thing...:nonono:

Yeah, we got one guy still employed that told a customer he needed ball joints, wheel bearings and axle seals on a taurus it came out to around 1,000 customer pay and he never put the stuff in the car. He was suspended a couple of days, still works with me.

Will it get used Prolly not. Will you get charged for it prolly so.
BTW it's not just dealers that do things like that. I HATE working on diff's. So I took my car to a local shop that was highly reccommended on a local stang site. I told him I wanted all new bearings, seals everything. ( foolish me didn't think I'd be back in there anytime soon :bang: ) So he quotes me a price on parts I pay it wait for him to ge tthe parts. Get the car back. a couple of weeks later have it on a lift find over half my diff cover bolts loose "oh well" I just tightened them back up. Then when I pulled the diff and axles to change over to my 31 spline stuff. Guess what I found. STOCK axle seals, stock bearings, he replaced NONE of it. Been arguing with him for months to get my money or parts back. Really don't care which. :mad:

bigcat said:
WTF? they didnt fire that guy???? thats FRAUD straight up, no way around it.

yes it is and i also know of service writers adding work under a customer pay car on stuff that is o.k and dont need repair :nonono: and he will feed the customer B.S and tell them that if its not fixed the car can suffer extensive damage and blah blah blah........

Yup. I just present to my customers what my techs find. It's there choice to buy, but working previous as a tech, I can make the upsell as I can explain it better. Sometimes you win, some you lose.

If they chose not to get the service, I just note it for later on if there are any issues.

blackfang said:
Yup. I just present to my customers what my techs find. It's there choice to buy, but working previous as a tech, I can make the upsell as I can explain it better. Sometimes you win, some you lose.

If they chose not to get the service, I just note it for later on if there are any issues.

that is just like the tech would say "you are covering your a$$" incase something does happen and it was written on the R.O as a customer declined service