Found A '91 Notch 4cyl, 5-speed How Bad Is A V8 Conversion?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by The_Dude, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Notches seem to be few and far between around here. Hatchbacks are a dime a dozen. It seems like I could buy a cheap v8 hatchback and swap the v8 parts. Is it worth it?

2. For what a V8 is going for these days. Forget it. There are a lot of differences.

Kurt

stykthyn likes this.
  3. keep looking

4. Agreed. By the time you are done swapping over everything and the price for two cars, you could have bought a V8 notch. You need to pretty much swap the entire drivetrain, brakes, suspension, harness and then you still have a car that is titled as a 4 banger when you go and try to sell it, which people will always question if it was a hack job or not.

5. cheaper insurance for a 4 banger but unless your giving it to a 16yr old as a car, probably not worth it.
    unless someone gave you one of those cars :spot:

6. Just about the only common parts between a 4 cylinder Mustang and a 5.0 is the body and upholstery. Almost everything else is either 5.0 or 4 cylinder specific. You end up buying two cars and stripping the 5.0 car for parts to put on the 4 cylinder car. Not worth the effort unless you get both cars in excellent shape for $500 a piece, and have a shop with all the tools needed for a complete tear down and rebuild.

7. I converted to my current 89, and I would not do it again - it's too much work. Here's a link to an article I wrote shortly after doing it. http://mr5oh.tripod.com/4to8.html

8. Thanks for saving me the headaches. Sounds like way too much work.