Fox vs. SN95

STREETRACEMY50

Founding Member
May 30, 2000
columbia s.c.
Im not starting this thread to get into a "which is better" battle.
Actually id like the people who sold their fox and bought a SN95 to chime in on the subject.
Id like to know:
why you sold the fox body?
Do you miss the fox? (would you consider going back)
Do you prefer the SN? (why or why not)
pro's and cons of each from your experience driving/owning both.

The reason i ask is because ive owned 7 Fox stangs in the past and i really enjoyed them. i have never owned an SN95 but i really liked driving them whenever i had a chance, now i am going to be getting another mustang and im considering both, although im kinda leaning towards the SN just because ive never had one yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Get an SN95 and keep a Fox - best of both worlds.

FWIW, I'd rather have an SN95 for a DD, and the Fox for a weekend toy/track beast. I just don't have the funds (or driveway space) for a 3rd vehicle, nor could I afford an SN95 on my ghetto-poor shoestring-less budget.

I have had both and really miss my old fox. I probably would still have the fox had it not been for the Drunk driver. I think the SN-95 handles better and has better brakes(Even though I have a Cobra, the GT brakes are better as well) however it weighs more. I like the 5 lug wheels and the almost retro styling. But the foxbody cars are just way to cool. There are alot of parts for them and Having a 5.0 SN-95 some people did not make parts for them. I wish Accufab made a throttle body for these like the fox cars.

I miss the Fox every now and then. I didnt like my last one because I was always working on it and the frame had a couple cracks. I put the car up for sale for $8000 before I knew about the cracks. Guy offered $7500 after I told him so I sold it. I will get another one eventualy. The 96 Cobra I replaced it with is my most favorite Mustang I have ever had :nice: Much faster than the Fox, handles better, brakes are killer and the interior is so much more friendly. Car is rock solid and gets 24 mpg. I highly reccomend one!

i know this isn't the kind of response you're looking for, but imho the sn95's aren't cool. i've seen a couple i like, but in general they are a big :notnice: for me. I'd rather have a 240hp fox than a 300hp sn95 for sure. it'd have to be a pretty nasty setup for me to be able to justify the girly physique of the sn95...
if i had to choose between an sn95 and a newer nissan maxima or something, i'd probably go with the family car.

i know a lot of people will :flame: & :stupid: me for saying this, but thats really how i feel. the looks alone would keep me from ever owning one. ever.

I haven't owned an SN95 but i've got two friends who made the switch. The first friend had his SN95 for about a month before it was gone, he's looking for another fox right now. The second friend sold a low 11 second Procharged coupe for his SN95....he's got a primered hatch back in his garage right now....

The SN95s are better in a lot of ways but that doesn't necessarily make them better...if that makes sense.

As a previous owner of several SN95 cars, I personally feel as a DD, they have it all over the Fox. The feel is totally different. The engine is a different animal indeed. There is little low end TQ, it's power band is in the upper R's.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are plenty of bolt-ons out there, but be prepared to pay more for them. The nice thing about the 4.6 block, it is damn near indestructible once you get those powdered parts out of there. If you go with a 99 or better, the heads can be ported to flow very well, and the thing will respond to FI very nicely.

The best world out there right now is the S197s. They have it all over the SN95.

I am not talking about looks here, because it is a personal opinion.

I have to tell you, I don not own a SN95 any longer, I am more into the nostalgia of the fox.

Its not so much better as it is different. I will always keep my Cobra, prolly as a DD. I still want to build an obnoxious notch for a weekend toy :nice: But with the technology advancements the SN95 IMO make far better DD's. A/C works better, Heaters work better, they are quieter and ride a little better and the mileage is way better. The Fox is just down right fun and look like a muscle car. Some people on here say the SN95 is femenen, and if you look down the side it does have an hourglass figure, but to me I think its a sexy looking style. The New Edges are more buisiness.
Just my .02

i dont own an sn95 myself but my friend bought a 95 gt a while back and have worked/rode/drove the car so i can give you my opinion.

the SN car is a much better DD, alot more comfy IMO, ride alot better, less rattles and flex the foxes tend to get.

the SN car is stille easy to work on ( 5.0 cars), some things were moved around a bit but its still just as easy to tinker with.

i cant remember right off the top of my head but there were some small things that were redone to make some simple procedures easier.

only one i can remember is the shifter, you dont have to take the center console out to take out the rubber boot for the shifter like you normally do with a fox. there were others also i just dont remember what they are its been a while since i worked on it.

the only con i see is they are heavier and are considerably slower from the factroy because of it. but they still have some pep to them i guess. i like the cars and they arent nowhere near as bad as people have made them out to be.

but if your talking about a 96-98 4.6 car, i wouldnt waste your time on the early SOHC engine, if it was a cobra its worth messing since its DOHC with but the single cams just dont seem to have as much you can do to them. my friend has a 97 gt and its pretty cool but the engine is STUFFED in there, hardly any room to work. it makes decent power and will get sideways but there isnt much to do to them without changing cams and heads etc etc which can be a hassle for a 4.6

if your going to take that plunge do with it a DOHC or later model SOHC engine to start with.

A lot of mixed feelings in here, honestly i love the fox cars but for a daily the sn is probably a better choice for me, it seems that most of the fox bodies are either affordable and ragged out/beaten to death or clean and priced way too high, it seems around here i can pick up a nice clean SN GT or Cobra cheaper than i can a fox car these days, i guess most of the foxes are being turned into race cars.

I am debating this myself, selling my 88 Coupe for an SN95. To me the biggest problem with going to an SN95 is the weight issue, they weigh more and thus need more power. But aside from that, as a streetable racer, the SN95 seems to have many advantages. Foxes also tend to have a ton more creaks and noises due to their construction. Hell, when I step on the gas I can clearly feel air rushing into the car from somewhere....but I have torn this car apart and can NOT find the source.

The most obvious being parts are readily available. When I make my bone yard trips, I see a TON of SN95s ripe for the picking....but very few foxes. And what foxes are left are usually pretty haggard.

My other problem with the fox is the fact that they were simply made with older technology, cosmetic things wear down faster. A great example of this is the tail lamp sockets. Because the tail lamps were not sealed, the lamp sockets tend to corrode. This is just one small example of things that I shouldn't have to fix, but I do because of the age of the car and the technology used to build it.

Because I built my own engine and drive train, the original drivetrain setup is not important....and 3.8 SN95s are a dime a dozen. They can be found dirt cheap in almost perfect cosmetic condition. Just about every fox on the planet has had some kind of damage to it during it's life....and those that are perfect are too expensive for a car you plan on dogging out.

I am torn, because my 88 is also my DD......if it was a garage/track/weekend car I would look at it differently. I will make my decision in a year or so when I sell my house and get a bigger place with a garage. If I can take it apart and rebuild it the way I wanted....I might keep it.

SN is th ebetter DD, but my opinion might be skewed because i went from a 15-year old fox to a brand new GT. It rode better, handled better, braked better, looked better (to contemporary society) and the interior was nicer and more cozy in addition to a badass stock stereo w. 6-disk changer, ice cold A/C and modern safety features like ABS and Traction control.

I could never DD a fox again after owning my GT for nearly 5 years. I even think the modular powerplant has a ton of potential. It may not be as cheap to modify as a 5.0 or as cheap to replace if i blow it up, but it can easily reacjh 300HP without ever pulling a head off.

But my days of having a Mustang as a DD are done. Even the Sn95 isn't cozy enough for me now. It's too loud and still too stiff despite stock suspension. I'm selling it now to buy an Infiniti G35x sedan and then using my Fox as my weekend hot rod :)

i know this isn't the kind of response you're looking for, but imho the sn95's aren't cool. i've seen a couple i like, but in general they are a big :notnice: for me. I'd rather have a 240hp fox than a 300hp sn95 for sure. it'd have to be a pretty nasty setup for me to be able to justify the girly physique of the sn95...
if i had to choose between an sn95 and a newer nissan maxima or something, i'd probably go with the family car.

i know a lot of people will :flame: & :stupid: me for saying this, but thats really how i feel. the looks alone would keep me from ever owning one. ever.

I felt the same way as you. I hated the new body style when it rolled out it looked to much like an eclipse or something. I didnt feel it had the MUSTANG look. Ford redeemed itself quite well with the retro mustang they have now. The 94-95 mustang has grown on me and I wouldnt mind having a 94 5.0 as a driver and my 93 as a toy. I had a 94 lined up I was going to buy but it didnt work out. When they are done up right they look killer!

I do like the fact that the parts are interchangeable with the fox though.