Friends car, disapointed track day

Went to track last night and drove my buddies car. its a 98 gt, it has every bolt on but cams.. Im talking, Plenum, throttle body, FULL exhaust, intake, pulleys, all the ignition junk, gears, drive shaft, flywheel, clutch and probably more. Not to mention new black bullits with awesome tires on it. Well, he had me drive it and i am good driver i feel, and so does all my friends and so on. And at the track i only pul down a 14.7 at 93. Thing is we've always made fun of his car for being slow but we just finally took it to track. Supposedly guy before him got 14.5 with exhaust and intake. that was at around 70k mile, now the car has about 95k..But car still in great condition. Kid takes GREAT car of it. forgot to mention he got new rear end with 31 spline axle and new 373's. I dont know what it is unless its tranny.. he plans on getting new motor from place in indiana. I dont know what he could do, unless maybe try a whole new tranny. My 60 foots were 2.0 -2.2's. Thats in a car i had only driven once before, most i drove it was last night at track, didnt miss or nothing just couldnt get good times. Reaction times were .117 .229 and rest were high .2"" . Do you think without going out and buying new tranny and all that first, maybe taking off a bunch of his mods and see if something is maybe on wrong or possible clogged or something weird? Cause me and him have raced my car next to him before, stock 04 gt, and even from roll i pull good so, kinda makes you wonder cause he should of always been eating me with all those mods. Any help you guys can give would be great.and yes i realize the pi swap would help him A TON but he should stil be running better than high 14s with all those mods. Thanks for any help and if i take al parts off and kinda clean what do you reccomend to do that? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

thebigtwinkie21 said:
Went to track last night and drove my buddies car. its a 98 gt, it has every bolt on but cams.. Im talking, Plenum, throttle body, FULL exhaust, intake, pulleys, all the ignition junk, gears, drive shaft, flywheel, clutch and probably more. Not to mention new black bullits with awesome tires on it. Well, he had me drive it and i am good driver i feel, and so does all my friends and so on. And at the track i only pul down a 14.7 at 93. Thing is we've always made fun of his car for being slow but we just finally took it to track. Supposedly guy before him got 14.5 with exhaust and intake. that was at around 70k mile, now the car has about 95k..But car still in great condition. Kid takes GREAT car of it. forgot to mention he got new rear end with 31 spline axle and new 373's. I dont know what it is unless its tranny.. he plans on getting new motor from place in indiana. I dont know what he could do, unless maybe try a whole new tranny. My 60 foots were 2.0 -2.2's. Thats in a car i had only driven once before, most i drove it was last night at track, didnt miss or nothing just couldnt get good times. Reaction times were .117 .229 and rest were high .2"" . Do you think without going out and buying new tranny and all that first, maybe taking off a bunch of his mods and see if something is maybe on wrong or possible clogged or something weird? Cause me and him have raced my car next to him before, stock 04 gt, and even from roll i pull good so, kinda makes you wonder cause he should of always been eating me with all those mods. Any help you guys can give would be great.and yes i realize the pi swap would help him A TON but he should stil be running better than high 14s with all those mods. Thanks for any help and if i take al parts off and kinda clean what do you reccomend to do that? Thanks
The 98's only had 225fwhp to your 260fwhp. Depends on the mods I guess, does he have the PI intake? Ignition junk won't do anything for performance, neither would the clutch or tires. So basicly just the plenum/Tb and exhaust, are the only hp improvements, which should be about 20hp or so, and if it's never had a tune he may not gain anything over stock. Even with the gears you'd walk him pretty bad.

CanadaStang said:
The 98's only had 225fwhp to your 260fwhp. Depends on the mods I guess, does he have the PI intake? Ignition junk won't do anything for performance, neither would the clutch or tires. So basicly just the plenum/Tb and exhaust, are the only hp improvements, which should be about 20hp or so, and if it's never had a tune he may not gain anything over stock. Even with the gears you'd walk him pretty bad.

:stupid:

tell your friend to get the PI swap.

i understand that he needs the pi swap. But the thing is he is not wanting to work much more on motor cause getting high in miles and hes just getting some forged built motor for like 6500 over the winter, he just wants his car to run little better now, and with all those mods he should be running ALOT better. I've seen his body style running low 14's with exhaust and intake on some of them, and he has so much and its not cheap stuff. Its all top of the line parts, hes got it over now, we're kinda tinkering with it, any suggestions?

You can always check the usual things like the air and fuel filter and have a look at the plugs to see if they're OK. Cleaning the MAF sensor wouldn't be a bad idea either.
As I've said before, he may have alot of mods, but they arn't hp mods. Stock 98's run high 14's to low 15's in stock trim.

i understand all this. Its just the guy who owned it before him pulled out a 14.5. And i understand lot his mods arent necassarly doing anything but, with all the additional stuff he has put on should still be at a 14.5. Should we go out and get any kind of engine cleaner? I know there is all that octane booster that might do minimal help for a day but we want something that will help all around ya know? Thanks guys

thebigtwinkie21 said:
i understand all this. Its just the guy who owned it before him pulled out a 14.5. And i understand lot his mods arent necassarly doing anything but, with all the additional stuff he has put on should still be at a 14.5. Should we go out and get any kind of engine cleaner? I know there is all that octane booster that might do minimal help for a day but we want something that will help all around ya know? Thanks guys
I think somethings wrong i can run at least a 14.7 on my wrost run and the best i ran was a 14.2@97 so far.

I dunno - I go to the track a lot , and it seems those numbers are fairly typical for the '98 s. The PI 99's up are a mite faster , but I look at things from the total package ( handling, creature comforts, gas mileage. So he (you) have nothing to be ashamed of...
Have fun.

thebigtwinkie21 said:
not to say you can't drive well, but the other guy may have driven better. there is also a difference in running in the summer and the spring or fall when the temps are cooler. It was stated before and I will again. the only hp mods are plenum, tb and exaust. that is really about right or average for that car with those mods.
BTW, octane booster or higher octane fuel will not help unless he has some kind of timing advance.

It could be your driving. I'm not trying to say that you are a bad driver, but I would say that your just not that experienced at track. I am saying this based on your reaction times and 60ft times. In that car a good driver should be cutting .0xx lights and 1.8-1.9s short times, since you said it had some good rubber. Your reaction time may have nothing to do with your ET on a test and tune, but it just gives a hint to what kind of driver you are. I'm not trying to flame , but I'm at the track at least once a week and I have hundreds of passes and have seen thousands more. Again not trying to flame, it's just what I see with those numbers.

Chris

Those numbers are not far off. The times at the left under my SN are in the cool weather before my PI intake and cams. The times in my sig are after those mods and all are on street tires with 2.0 sixties. In cooler weather you may see a tenth or 2 knocked off of the ET and the MPH up 1 but really it is about typical of what these cars run. I do have a friend with a 98 who ran some 14.3's with about the same mods so it is possible. But you really have to have a perfedct run to get that.

what kinda tires were they? drag radials? slicks? last night with my mods in my sig and my drag radials i couldn't launch any harder than 3k or i'd spin. i had to launch at 3k and bog it just a little but i got 1.9 60fts out of doing that.

hey man im not trying to flame either but it could be the driver i have a 98 gt 5 speed with flowmasters, catted h, intake, and drag radials and i can pull off a 14.7. if you wanna see more improvements i would have stepped to 4.10`s UCA and LCA and a drag suspension then you will see more of the times you want and your suspension will be ready when you do pi swap :nice:

well me and a few friends took the car to a different track. Fairly same results, trying different things. Both of us were pullin out consistent high 14's until the end. I was not drivin car as hard as i could cause its not mine but after still getting the high 14s i can mad and i told him i was beating it. Went back around and got 14.61 right of the bat, didnt heat the tires or nothing, 60' 2.04 trap was 93 and i slammed gears pretty good. Sucks is theres not quite enough 3rd left to keep it in 3rd, have to shift to 4th right before the line or you'll hit limiter. So i have tried different shift points going into 4th. So tonight my best run was that 14.6 If i would of took it few more times and pounded it would of came closer to 14.4 or so, not to mention it was blazing hot out. I not saying im outstanding driver but i can drive cause all friends have me drive there cars at the track. I have 04 gt and havent lost to any my body style except for one with quite few bolt ons. beat ones with exhaust and gears, from stop and roll. A few. So, i dont know. But, i dont feel that it is me or i would not be on here trying to figure this out but, i understand were you guys are coming from becasue i do get on alot of people for driving cause there is some characters out there.

well the hot summer heat and humidity kill performance, wait a month or two.

the very first time i took my 98 to the track all i had was a K&N air filter, tri-ax shifter, and Mac h-pipe.

my best time:

rt .062
60' 2.314
330' 6.226
1/8 [email protected]
1000' 12.203
1/4 [email protected]

this was with 80k miles and stock tires/clluch and 2.73 gear. This was in May so the temp was probibly around 70-80 and 50-70% range humidity.

now with 115k mi. it's mid 13's consitantly.

not too bad?

it is a lot to expect from an intake designed for low end torque. we have heavy cars with no top end power. 96-98 have smallish MAF,smallish intake,smallish compression ratio,smallish valves,smallish cams,elc... 14.5-14.7 is reasonable for heavy car with no power. adding parts to combination that is, by nature, a low rpm setup will net low rpm power. HP= (torque*rpm)/5252. non pi really don't make power at 5200. mine didn't. you need to shift the RPM's of your torque for the add on's to work for you. before Pi intake mt stuff would just run with a ram-air... GRAND-AM... DOH. after, that same combo was fantastic. only shifted max torque rpm level.

CanadaStang said:

WHAT???? ignition junk, clutch AND especially tires DONT do anything for performance????? what the hell drug are you on?

tell him to go get it tuned! simple as that, and dont waste 6500 bucks on a motor. it aint worth it, he could get his rebuilt if he really wants.

slow96mustang said:
WHAT???? ignition junk, clutch AND especially tires DONT do anything for performance????? what the hell drug are you on?

tell him to go get it tuned! simple as that, and dont waste 6500 bucks on a motor. it aint worth it, he could get his rebuilt if he really wants.

Ummm.... bullit wheels with nice looking tires won't do anything to lower your 1/4 mile times, and his 60ft times are proof of that. Dr's or slicks on the other hand would.
Also adding MSD coils and wires[or any other brand] will not gain anything. The stock ignition is more than adequate for a stock or slightly modded engine. If you don't believe me, try it.
As for exchanging the stock clutch for a heavy duty racing clutch, you also won't gain a thing. The only time replacing the stock clutch would lower your 1/4 mile times is if the old one is slipping.