Fuel Blends and Carburetors

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
Is anyone else concerned about the ethanol blend of gas that is being used at many stations?

I have also been told by a few people that the ethanol will ruin the endurashine coating that is on Edelbrock carbs. They also say that it can cause the inside of the carb to gum up.

Is any of this true? If so, is there anything that can be done to combat this?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, increased alcohol content is playing hobb. The alcohol eats into the Viton rubber seals and accelerator pumps. Even the trusty 2100 2V is not safe from this crap.

Thank you very much, D.C. Millions of acres of farmland wasted, the price of grain (such as cattle feed and cornflakes through the roof), food shortages in Central America, all because fat cats in D.C. want to look "green". Now this. I have checked my daily driver with gasahol and gasoline, and it gets about 10% better mileage with real gasoline, meaning not only have they wasted the farmland, they have wasted the alcohol. Typical D.C. stupidity. Lawyers designing car fuel. Now they want to direct our medical care. God help us.

Is there any thing that can be done to help slow it down? How long does a new carb have before it will need to be rebuilt or replaced because of this junk?

I noticed that my 95 F150 5.0 2wd used to get about 17-18 mpg, but now gets about 15-16 since the mixture has changed. I believe it is due to the ethanol, but don't know for sure.

Its a real shame they have to do things the way they do. I think they should do things that make the most sense and not just to appear like they are getting things done.

Is there any thing that can be done to help slow it down? How long does a new carb have before it will need to be rebuilt or replaced because of this junk?

I noticed that my 95 F150 5.0 2wd used to get about 17-18 mpg, but now gets about 15-16 since the mixture has changed. I believe it is due to the ethanol, but don't know for sure.

Its a real shame they have to do things the way they do. I think they should do things that make the most sense and not just to appear like they are getting things done.

So far I'm not aware of any fix for this.

You can be sure. Find a station that sells real gasoline, and check your mileage on a full tank. You'll get mad at D.C. all over again.

Appearing to "do something" is how they get reelected. Apparently the aftereffects of the "something" are irrelevant.

over here in california we've been experienceing bs from 'this is better' in gasoline for ages, they've put additives that make mileage worse, emmisions worse etc multiple times under the false pretenses that it will be the oposite then of course nothing above 91 octane except for certain/special gas stations where anything above is called race fuel and double 91

Edlebrock used to see rebuild kits for ethnol but I haven't seen them in some time. I also remember seeing a rebuild kit for their victor junior fuel pump. But now you can;t even get rebuild kits for them.

my friend and i havent had any issues with E10 and carbs. the modern carb kits, and the carbs that have been built since the mid 90's when E10 fuel became widely used have been set up for the fuel to prevent warranty issues. however if you are going to use a fuel with more alcohol content, then you need to be buying a carb specifically set up for alcohol.