Gas Price Woes!...

You guys kill me!! You want to spend upwards of $3000 on a car to SAVE money on gas???? WTF???

Let's look at it like this:

Mustang--call it 15mpg...hwy/city. (Most get that.) Say you drive it 10000 miles a year. (A little below the national average.) That's a total of $2300 you've spent per year for gas for a car you are proud to drive. (Yup. Ouch. I don't like it either.)

How about a Honda Accord or Civic--Approx 30-35mpg (Used 32.5, for calculations.) 10000 miles will cost you $1077. You'll "break even"......in THREE years!!! (Nice! Maybe you can buy a fart can for the exhaust and pull the hubcaps off, for that "racing" look. ;) )

Now, the Geo Metro--50mpg. (Impressive! Although I'm pretty sure that's the "highway only" mpg.) That same 10000 miles will cost you $700. Or, a difference of $1600. At that, it would take you TWO YEARS of driving a little piece of crap that could get you killed in a crash that that "Stang would drive away from. Just to break even.

Keep in mind that I used 10000 miles, to make all the calculations simple. I used $3.50/gallon for the gas price. (Mustangs are designed to run on 87. You calculate extra expense for more performance. I'm not figuring that in the calculations as most of us COULD get by with 87, if we really wanted to. You could even detune your car, for a few months, to get by. It's not going to have all the power. But neither will the three cylinder monster that we call a Geo Metro.)

Another thing to consider is that you now have TWO cars to pay for insurance on. And two cars to register, each year. Plus, if it IS really a beater, maintenance will eat you alive.

Buying a "beater" to save money on gas is just plain BAD logic. So, just suck it up. Drop $45.00 in the tank and be glad you are supporting American business. ;)

Just my opinion.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys kill me!! You want to spend upwards of $3000 on a car to SAVE money on gas???? WTF???

Mustang--call it 15mpg...hwy/city. (Most get that.) Say you drive it 10000 miles a year. (A little below the national average.) That's a total of $2300 you've spent per year for gas for a car you are proud to drive. (Yup. Ouch. I don't like it either.)

How about a Honda Accord or Civic--Approx 30-35mpg (Used 32.5, for calculations.) 10000 miles will cost you $1077. You'll "break even"......in THREE years!!! (Nice! Maybe you can buy a fart can for the exhaust and pull the hubcaps off, for that "racing" look. ;) )

Now, the Geo Metro--50mpg. (Impressive! Although I'm pretty sure that's the "highway only" mpg.) That same 10000 miles will cost you $700. Or, a difference of $1600. At that, it would take you TWO YEARS of driving a little piece of crap that could get you killed in a crash that that "Stang would drive away from. Just to break even.

Keep in mind that I used 10000 miles, to make all the calculations simple. I used $3.50/gallon for the gas price. (Mustangs are designed to run on 87. You calculate extra expense for more performance. I'm not figuring that in the calculations as most of us COULD get by with 87, if we really wanted to. You could even detune your car, for a few months, to get by. It's not going to have all the power. But neither will the three cylinder monster that we call a Geo Metro.)

Another thing to consider is that you now have TWO cars to pay for insurance on. And two cars to register, each year. Plus, if it IS really a beater, maintenance will eat you alive.

Buying a "beater" to save money on gas is just plain BAD logic. So, just suck it up. Drop $45.00 in the tank and be glad you are supporting American business. ;)

Just my opinion.

I agree, when I had my motorcycle (CBR 600RR) back in 2005/2006 everyone was like wow you must be saving a lot on gas compared to what your stang used.

Factor in the monthly payment of the bike $158 and the insurance for the year usually $1,000 and ummm no I was spending more in the long run. I did not get the bike to save on gas in the first place but some people dont realize that yeah its less expensive at the pump but what are you paying on top of that as further expense on another vehicle that was meant to save you money?

Paid $3.45/gallon for 87 in my daily driver today, it was $3.33 yesterday at the same station:nonono:

not lookin forward to fillin up the stang this weekend, 93 was $3.75/gallon today, it'll probably be about $20/gallon by the weekend, lol.

Paid $3.45/gallon for 87 in my daily driver today, it was $3.33 yesterday at the same station:nonono:

not lookin forward to fillin up the stang this weekend, 93 was $3.75/gallon today, it'll probably be about $20/gallon by the weekend, lol.

haha, its $3.53 for 93 here, still sucks especially when you go to put gas in it to go to the track (usually have it at 1/4 by the time I get there and run it) only to flog the hell out if it and burn up all tha gas while there.

Remember that when you have a Mustang and a Beater, you do not want to drive the beater...

So do what you can to better the milage of the mustang...

Don't get me wrong when I only had my 13mpg truck and a 500 mile/week commute I looked at the $150/month cars like a trecel and such, but then why the heck did I buy something I actually liked to own and drive...

Just my $0.02, but if you like driving the mustang drive the mustang, if you want to go rice to save $$ go rice... But be realistic about what you are going to do once you have both cars at home... I know my Mustang would win 75+% of the time as it already does over my truck...

LOL, but I know for a fact that you can fit 3 guys and a yellow lab with guns in the trunk in a 1990 Grand Am and get it stuck in the mud around a rock quary in Iowa!!! :rlaugh:

:OT: That's hysterical! I have some pretty ridiculous hunting stories. They all sound stupid though unless you are a fellow hunter.

We had a black lab with two of us in a john boat one time, two other guys in a canoe. The john boat was a small one with a 500 pound limit. The black lab was a monster, weighing 95 pounds and just jacked, no fat on him. The dog got so excited when we started firing, he jumped up on the very edge of the boat, and because it was right next to me, and where the 80 pound marine battery was, it was enough to dip the lip of the boat under the water, and THE DAMN DOG SUNK THE BOAT!!!

I was thanking a higher power I was wearing full chest waders that day as the swamp was about 6 inches under my armpits.

Of course we didn't hit anything with the boat sinking, so now the dog is pissed because he has nothing to retrieve, so while we are floating / standing in PFDs and waders, the F'ing dog swims out and retrieves a decoy from our spread, all happy with himself!!:mad:

Adam

Just my opinion.

Just so you know the GEO metro XFI hatchback gets 53 city 58 highway. That and you could pick one up for a few hundred bucks. VERY CHEAP to maintain. And I only pay $54 a bucks for insurance anyways for the mustang so a metro would be what $20-30 bucks. And It would be to go to work only anyways. So for me it works out and The car would pay for itself before the first year anyway. Plus I could work on the mustang a lot more since I could afford the downtime after that. And your saying dropping $45 in the tank would be supporting american business is wrong we are supporting the Iraq's (Spelled that wrong I think). Unless it was ethanol but thats another argument. Plus the geo is still an american car and frankly I dont care what I drive to work. I would rather drive that so I dont have to worry about someone dinging the mustang or putting more wear on it.

Just so you know the GEO metro XFI hatchback gets 53 city 58 highway. That and you could pick one up for a few hundred bucks. VERY CHEAP to maintain. And I only pay $54 a bucks for insurance anyways for the mustang so a metro would be what $20-30 bucks. And It would be to go to work only anyways. So for me it works out and The car would pay for itself before the first year anyway. Plus I could work on the mustang a lot more since I could afford the downtime after that. And your saying dropping $45 in the tank would be supporting american business is wrong we are supporting the Iraq's (Spelled that wrong I think). Unless it was ethanol but thats another argument. Plus the geo is still an american car and frankly I dont care what I drive to work. I would rather drive that so I dont have to worry about someone dinging the mustang or putting more wear on it.

To each his own. Enjoy your Metro. :nice:

I find that gas is affecting my social life more then anything. Regardless of what price gas climbs to, I'm always going to drive to and from work. But in terms of going to see friends on the weekend, trips into the city, activities, etc I do think about the cost of the trip.

The only solution I have, and this is from a guy who's been working in the energy sector for only 3 years, is to build nuclear power plants and repeal Jimmy Carter's law prohibiting the reprocessing of nuclear waste into useable fuel. (I hate Jimmy Carter, but notice that the other presidents since him have let this slide as well, Dem and Rep!!)

It makes me vomit in my mouth to preface anything with this statement, but we need to follow France's example. Over 80 percent of France is nuclear powered, the US is not quite 20 percent.

Adam

I find that gas is affecting my social life more then anything. Regardless of what price gas climbs to, I'm always going to drive to and from work. But in terms of going to see friends on the weekend, trips into the city, activities, etc I do think about the cost of the trip.

The only solution I have, and this is from a guy who's been working in the energy sector for only 3 years, is to build nuclear power plants and repeal Jimmy Carter's law prohibiting the reprocessing of nuclear waste into useable fuel. (I hate Jimmy Carter, but notice that the other presidents since him have let this slide as well, Dem and Rep!!)

It makes me vomit in my mouth to preface anything with this statement, but we need to follow France's example. Over 80 percent of France is nuclear powered, the US is not quite 20 percent.

Adam

We need a good mix of Nuclear, wind, solar, and hydro power. We also need to find a more efficient way of creating Hydrogen from water(in a small package) and then we can tell OPEC to kiss our asses. The sad fact is that we were the ones who showed the middle east how to find and drill for oil.

No kidding... gas is so much $$ even I am slowing down in the highways... this sucks...

I have been slowing down for a while buddy. lol

I definatly think twice about going out too. So now we are taking my g/f's car out more and more because it gets almost 40 mpg regular driving. Had it topped at 43mpg highway (06 civic ex) pretty nice and comfortable car too

I topped of my truck Wednesday...$29.00 for 9 gallons...Wife comes home and says she filled her Pathfinder...$55.00.......$84.00 this week for gas WTF !!!!

Makes me really wanna put the Mustang back on the road...:( that's it I'm trading it in for a Tiberon or some chit... :D
My daughter just got on 08 Lancer GTS..Pimp little ride...