Gears improvement

• Sponsors (?)

CaliLifeStyle said:
It has always been like this.

4.10's for a NA Stang.
3.73's for a Blown Stang.
3.90's for a compromise of the two.

Unfortunately alot of people think just that. I feel sorry for those that listen. If your into performance then going with 3.73's for a typical bolt-on or typical supercharged setup is a waste of available power.... especially if its a centrifugally charged Mustang. Don't fear the gear!

^ ill run any 4.10 geared car with simular mods...and he will NOT pull me, I gaurentee you that. 4.10s are cool and all, but the 3.73s set me up PERFECTLY for the next gear. I watched the 4.10 gears vids and it puts it too high in the RPM band for the next gear IMO. Your out of your freegin torque range and it steadily falling when you hit the next gear and hardly get any pull out of each gear. I just dont like how they ran, and on top of that you run out of gear through the 1/4 with alot of boltons and THEN HAVE TO HIT 5TH or go well into the red line to cross the trapps. For a S/C car, 4.10s are not good for a 1/4 car, A. there is not as much load and on the motor and FI motors, especially turbo cars, thrive off of load to get boost up faster and make more power. B. you will AGAIN have to hit 5th before the end of the 1/4. Noone can speed shift or powershift 5th lol.

Look at the guys with 4.10s...are their ETs any better than those with 3.73s? No...there wont be much of a difference. Now look, im not saying that they wont give a better ET, just that it wouldnt be very noticable in the 1/4.

There are many misinformed people posting in this thread, bearing in mind some of you actually know what you're talking about.

First of all, as said above by stangboy017, the Mach 1 is a different "animal" in the sense it has a 32v motor, as opposed to the GT and Bullit setup, which uses a 16v motor setup. If you're wondering, will a set of 4.10 gears in a Bullit allow it to run with a Mach 1, the answer is yes IF you know how to drive the car.

4.10 and 4.30 gear ratios are great gear setups for n/a 2v GT's, especially the automatics. Have you ever stopped to look at what all the fastest n/a 2v guys are running in their setups ? They're running no less than 4.10 gears, and some are running as steep as 4.56 gears, depending on their setups.

Ask yourself another question. How many n/a bolt-on GT's are running 12's in the 1/4 mile with 3.73 gears ? None that I know of. How many are doing it with 4.10's and steeper gears ? The answer is quite a few.

I drive my car almost every day with 4.30 gears in the rear, and I have no issues, problems, or complaints with them. They're great for around town driving, and the highway rpms are manageable.

mdvaldosta said:
Unfortunately alot of people think just that. I feel sorry for those that listen. If your into performance then going with 3.73's for a typical bolt-on or typical supercharged setup is a waste of available power.... especially if its a centrifugally charged Mustang. Don't fear the gear!

Ever hear of TRACTION? :D 4.10's might be too much for a blown Mustang. You'll be spinning like a mo fo.

Just check out this Twin Turbo Mustang. It's spinnin' like a son of bitch and it's runnin' 3.73's. Think about what it would do with 4.10's.
http://www.qsrproductions.com/videos/stangttvsamgvssrt4.wmv

I have 4.10's and the iceing on the cake was the Predator :nice: been runing them for 20k miles not one problem,,
well except people with 3.73 that get left a half a car length behind when we get on the gas :spot:

really there is not a hole lot in it and I have driven both one after the other 3.73 are good but I love my 4.10's.

mdvaldosta said:

i 500 percent agree with this post ... 4.10's or even 4.30's are the way too go.. if you add a supercharger and run out of gear then run a taller tire.

Exactly, not going with 4.10's because they spin the tires more than 3.73's is like saying "hey, lets not put these headers on because it'd give me too much power" :/

Now certaily going to a taller gear won't help as much if your spinning away the extra power... but then comes the need for more traction. Also, the 4.10's will help keep you higher in the powerband for more power in every gear too - even when your not spinning tires.

Bullitt0616 said:
I searched and couldn't find anything on this, but is there someone out there who has measured 0-60MPH and 1/4 improvements of gears alone?

i have a stock Bullitt with 3.27's and was thinking of going 4.10's. I heard somewhere that 4.10s on a GT pulls like a Mach 1. If so, saying a stock GT goes from 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, what would 4.10' do?

an estimaton would suffice.

Thanks,
Carlos
I don't think it will make it pull like a Mach 1. But it will certainly make the car more lively.

The thing with gears is its a trade off. You improve the response from idle to red line by literally applying less force on the engine demands. The offset is that your terminal speed in each gear will be reduced. Thus you will spend more time shifting than you did before. And remember it also take time to shift. So there is a fine balance between better accelaration and lost time due to shifting.

Having said that, it is pretty well established that 3.73 or 4.10 work and can be used.

As for 0-60 well that depends where the shift points are.

Take the new Z06 Vette, 3.7 seconds 0-60 which it does in 1st gear. However to do 0-62mph (0-100kph) it takes nearly 4 seconds becuase it requires a shift into 2nd.

PS.

Remeber the Mach 1 has 305bhp and also has a good final drive (think its 3.55). And I'm not sure without checking but I have heard that the internal ratio's of the gearbox are also slightly different, making it more ideal for drag racing.

mdvaldosta said:
Also, the 4.10's will help keep you higher in the powerband for more power in every gear too.
that doesn't seem right to me.

You are not altering the internal gear ratio's of the gearbox so the rpm drop would from gear to gear would be the same regardless of final drive ratio. Infact you wouldn't even need a prop shaft and rear axel connected to the car.

My situation is just the opposite. I'm running stock gear on my 04 GT and what I hate is the short 1st gear. Driving away from a red light, I would love to have a lot more 1st gear because I'm always getting passed.
In the eighties, my mom's 89 gt was more of a blast in 1st gear. Now I find myself shifting to keep up.

I was waiting for someone to bring up centrifugal blowers. Im bout halfway to my Novi 2000, and ive always heard 3.73 for roots type/twin screw, and 4.10's for the centrifugal blowers (to give them enough pep off the line to accomodate for the lack of boost at first)...does that make sense?)

Dark Knight GT said:
There are many misinformed people posting in this thread, bearing in mind some of you actually know what you're talking about.

First of all, as said above by stangboy017, the Mach 1 is a different "animal" in the sense it has a 32v motor, as opposed to the GT and Bullit setup, which uses a 16v motor setup. If you're wondering, will a set of 4.10 gears in a Bullit allow it to run with a Mach 1, the answer is yes IF you know how to drive the car.

4.10 and 4.30 gear ratios are great gear setups for n/a 2v GT's, especially the automatics. Have you ever stopped to look at what all the fastest n/a 2v guys are running in their setups ? They're running no less than 4.10 gears, and some are running as steep as 4.56 gears, depending on their setups.

Ask yourself another question. How many n/a bolt-on GT's are running 12's in the 1/4 mile with 3.73 gears ? None that I know of. How many are doing it with 4.10's and steeper gears ? The answer is quite a few.

I drive my car almost every day with 4.30 gears in the rear, and I have no issues, problems, or complaints with them. They're great for around town driving, and the highway rpms are manageable.

3.55s
4.10s, but has had the best ET with 3.27s!
3.90s..maybe 3.27s...hard to tell
3.73s
3.73s

That last link is a guy with 3.73s and only boltons...just what you said you have never seen.

there are a few...proof that it DOESNT take 4.10+ to get 12s lol. Granted that most run 4.10-4.30, but IMO its the whole "ill get them since everyone else has them" type thing with the 4.10+. True the 4.10s will yield a slightly better ET, but its not like adding cams lol....people try and make gears out to be the most effective mod you can do, and that 3.73s do nothing lol. There is another guy thats here that runs 12s on stock gears. Those steeper gears really help out on slicks where all that 1st gear lets the car really get out there quick from a high RPM drop....thats why most run them....and the fact that 8 out of 10 over on MD are hard core drag racers...more gear is better at the track, but these are street cars and you have to mix drivability and performance....the slight gain at the track with 4.10s over 3.73s just isnt worth it IMHO.