Gears thread..Did yu realize a quarter turn makes a difference?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
I will be going from 3.27's to 3.55's... The difference in 4th top speed is 10 MPH! Meaning, I would shift into 5th at 140mph with 3.27's and 130mph with 3.55's :eek:

In third, I will be shifting at 100mph where the 3.27's won't shift til 108. :eek:

I didn't realise it was THAT much..

Second gear shifts at 64mph vs 70mph. What all this tells me is that the 3.55's will pull away from the 3.27's and should feel dramatic. I have enough low end that I don't need anything higher for street.

How high should my car pull? I have a .64 5th gear. @170mph I would be just about 5000rpm. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The SOP feel is well worth it driving around town. But the 3.73's put my car in the dreaded exhaust drone rpm range on the highway, so I just end-up driving 10mph faster so my head doesn't explode :p I'm going back down to 3.27's when the new torque-monster goes in..... eventually.

The SOP feel is well worth it driving around town. But the 3.73's put my car in the dreaded exhaust drone rpm range on the highway, so I just end-up driving 10mph faster so my head doesn't explode :p I'm going back down to 3.27's when the new torque-monster goes in..... eventually.

You may want to re-think that. I don't know what engine your putting putting in but there is hardly any drone with my 414. But yea man I know what you mean about drone, lol.

If I don't get enough traction with the 3.55's I will take that as a sign to beef up my suspension more. It's pretty well beefed already minus the tires ..we will see. Oh, also , I have a .64 5th gear ratio instead of a .68 which helps. I also have a 2.95 1st gear which helps with traction. Thats why 3.55's will prob be perfect.

You may want to re-think that. I don't know what engine your putting putting in but there is hardly any drone with my 414. But yea man I know what you mean about drone, lol.

You're right, I just have the wrong exhaust setup (x-pipe + chambered mufflers = :nono: ), I plan to address that issue this year. As for the gears, the choice between 3.27's and 3.55's will ultimately depend on the tranny gear ratios. I'd rather the car pull hard through the gears rather than break traction and redline at anything over 1/4-throttle.

I just pulled my 3.73s out and put some 3.55s in. I was out of gear in the 1/4 on the 75 shot with my shorter drag radials. I may wish I had them back in on the ET Streets as they are 26+ inches taller, but I don't run them all the time.

i decided to go back to stock gearing because i don't think i need any more help getting off the line.

i'd rather have the gas mileage on the highway and the speedo that is actually accurate.

You als ohave a different trans than me. Not sure what your first gear ratio is. I als oadded the victor intake which allows me to wind out more. I don't feel any loss of low end going from typhoon though. :shrug: