Got a compression test done....

• Sponsors (?)

Well... save your track money for a new shortblock because it looks like you definitely need it. Those are really low. Are you sure you did it right? They are nice and consistent which is good as it appears everything is wearing normally, but they are still very low. My shortblock is TIRED and has lead a HARD life, and I got 145-150psi when I did my test a few months ago. 160-175 seems to be more of the norm.

I'm with Paul, something had to be done wrong (i mean no disrespect to you ARed). those numbers are very lame, yet too consistant for that much wear (most of the time, not all the pots will wear evenly and so grossly).
i think of compression results like dyno runs - they are nice for tuning and relative comparison, but the absolute numbers are not all that useful.

some things to remember. motor should be warm. ignition disabled, Throttle should be cracked at WOT. all plugs out. battery charged.

if one checks compression on a colder motor, the numbers can be a good bit low.

Matt, a tester can be bought at a parts store for 20 bucks or so (i think). it should include complete instructions (though i hit some of the fine points above).

also, Ared, did you get wet numbers too? that would tell a bit more.

good luck.

ouch those are not good nubmers if they are accurate. Like Paul said if those are the true numbers Id be putting my money into a new short block. My friend did a half ass compression test on mine before we did the S/C and it came out to about 130's on a cold motor.

Stock heads? If so, those numbers look just fine. You cannot really read much into the absolute value of the number, just the consistency.

Before I did my mods, my 95 had 100-110 on all cylinders. After I put on the AFR 165's, it had 170-175 on all cylinders. No smoke, and after a good tune it puts down over 300 at the wheels.

Dave

whats so hard about it? Take out the spark plug, screw in the tester, turn your fuel pump off, disconect your coil, hold the throttle open, spin the engine over a few times and get your reading.