got some parts mixed up

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
I seem to have mixed up the cam retainers , is there any way of telling which ones go on which head ?

also although I personally dont think it matters I think I mixed up the lash adjusters from one of the heads. my cat got up on my work bench and knocked everything around.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The big problem with cam caps is that they serve as the bearing surface. At the factory, the caps would have been bolted into place and then line bored/honed so each cap really does have a unique location.

Assuming you're building a Romeo with ladder-style caps you might consider trying the following: Lay a cam in place, put some Plastigage on each cam journal and bolt one of the cap caps in place. Remove the cap, measure the 'gage and jot down the numbers. Repeat with another cap and then compare the numbers. Use the cap that gives the most favorable and consistent clearances.

I seem to have had it right it terms of the cam retainers as I just found a picture that I snapped during the teardown that verifies the correct orientation going by the part numbers embossed on the retainers. Trinity_gt, exaxtly what I was thinking in regards to the retainers being bearing surfaces. so im assuming me mixing up the followers makes no difference as they are roller followers.
So to the op, it looks like my car isn't chopped up anymore, back to stock and worth more now. Lol

Reactions: 1 user