gt40p+tfs1+Edel performer

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't the GT40-GT40P heads come stock on an Explorer or something like that? How much better are they than the stock heads? You can see my combo in my sig and I am in need of a better set of heads but cannot afford a new set of performance heads right now.

Bahraini_stang, sorry for hijacking the thread man.

Yep I have a complete exploder long block in my steed, the heads have crane cams springs, all in all ai have about 300 in the heads, yeah thats it, thats what a junkyard or pick n pull will do for ya, the stock heads flow 156ish at .500 these flow 196ish at .500, im pullin them off in a couple of more months to port em and have em milled.

What year of Explorer do I look for to get them off of? I work for LKQ which is a big multi location/state auto recycle company so I should be able to get a set fairly easy, just don't know what year to get them off of.

you stole my engine!!! LOL

I have the following:
newer explorer shortblock out of an 01
98 explorer heads gt40p (96 explorers have the gt40)
crane cam springs good till .560 lift
1.72 rr
b cam
walbro 255 pump
custom intake ported to hell that looks stock
65 mm tb off of an explorer
mac longlubes
underdrive pullies
o/r pipe w flows
king cobra clutch
mac cai
mass air conversion with a3m processor
full 5 lug conversion
lincoln mk7 rear with p trac
subframes
welded torque boxes
electric fan
12 deg of timing
some other little stuff

It goes really well!!

not to hijack but, can someone explain the diff between all these ford intakes and heads.. like what's the difference between gt40, gt40p, gt40x, etc. Like some people say the intakes are better off the 97+ explorer blab bla.. i've got myself all confused.

This has been answered at least a bajillion times already, and from now on you should try searching the forums first, but....

Cast Iron Gt-40 Heads: These heads came stock on the 1993 Mustang Cobra, and the early Ford Lightning pick-up trucks, as well as some earlier Ford Explorer's. These heads are easily identifiable by 3 vertical bars that are cast into the ends of the heads, and "GT" is also cast into the heads. They retain the stock spark plug angle and also accept the Thermactor emissions crossover tube. They have 1.84/1.54 size valves, and flow significantly better than stock heads, but also weigh a small fraction more. These were sold by Ford Motorsport for a time as part # M-6049-L302 (bare) and L303 (assembled). As part of the GT-40 kit that Ford Motorsport sold for a while, these heads were issued a CARB E.O. # for street legal use in California.

Cast Iron GT-40P Heads: These heads came stock on 1997-1/2 Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers and were used until Ford stopped using the 5.0L in production vehicles. They are easily identifiable by 4 vertical bars that are cast into the ends of the heads, and "GTP" is also cast into the heads. They have no provision for, and do not accept, the Thermactor emissions crossover tube. They have a relocated spark plug angle which bring the spark plug electrode more to the center of the combustion chamber. These heads require special attention to headers, since most headers will interfere with the revised spark plug angle. They have 1.84/1.46 sized valves, and compared stock to stock will flow even better than the standard GT-40 heads. These were sold by Ford Motorsport for a time as part # M-6049-P303 (assembled). While these heads are supposed to be very efficient and burn very clean, they are not street legal for use in California. The combustion chambers of the "P" heads were smaller than the ones on the standard iron GT-40 head and stock E7TE, and were good for a slight increase in compression.

Aluminum GT-40Y Heads: Unlike the Iron GT-40 and GT-40P, aluminum GT-40 heads from Ford Motorsport were never used in production cars. These heads have a standard spark plug angle, 1.94/1.54 valve sizing, and do accept the Thermactor emissions crossover tube. 160cc intake ports. They DO NOT have a CARB E.O. #.

Aluminum GT-40X Heads: Same as GT-40Y in terms of valve sizing, spark plug angle and emissions. Offered in two combustion chamber sizes, 58cc and 64cc. 178cc intake ports. Intake Flow 240cfm @ .550, Exhaust Flow 170cfm @ .500. DOES NOT have a CARB E.O. #.

Ford Explorer 5.0L Intakes: They are essentially the same as the intake that came stock on the 1993 Cobra Mustang. Since both the 1993 Cobra intake and GT-40 Tubular intake have essentially the same lower intake, the lower intakes between the 1993 Cobra, Tubular GT-40, and Explorer's are essentially interchangable. What you need to watch out for is that some later 5.0L explorers were not drilled and tapped for the ACT (Air Charge Temperature) Sensor. The upper intake on the Explorer's also are slightly different visually from the '93 Cobra style. There have been extensive, exhaustive write-ups on the subtle differences in Explorer intake manifolds, use your search button for more detailed info.

My 93 GT vert has a trackheat intake, TFS stage 1 cam and GT40P heads(unported). For the heaviest slowest FOX evermade it runs pretty good. Turns 14.0s at 100MPH. The stock converter is holding it back right now.

I can't get it to launch above 1600rpm so it kinda bogs comin out of the hole. With a 3000 rpm stall converter it would would come out of the hole a lot harder and net some better times. With a 100 shot it turned a 12.7 at 109.

97 up has the gt40p heads, it's possible on some early 97 motors to have gt40's but it's doubtful you'll find them, my motor was an early 97 motor and it had the p heads.

Ill add something more, the p heads actually decrease the compression, to about 8.8 to 1 instead of 9, and they are excellent for forced applications, which is why I have em hint hint......

You are incorrect.

P Heads have a combustion chamber size that is approximately 60cc, and the stock heads have larger combustion chambers than that, closer to 64-65cc. Smaller combustion chamber = higher compression.

So as far as emissions go what do you do with the thermactor tubes ifyou swithch tothe Ps?

those tubes won't effect a functional smog test. they only pump air into the heads when the engine is cold, to go through the headers and past the o2's to fool the computer into a lean condit. upon startup, which in return richens it up for cold startup.

once the engine warms up, air is diverted straight into the cats.

since you don't smog your engine warm, just run a straight tube into the cats from the smog pump, and you'll pass easy. You should be able to pass visual without them unless you've got a super anal or brainy smog tech. If you're worried, run the straight tube, but leave the bypass tubing back there to make it "look" like it's all hooked up.

lol, whoooops! I meant to say since you don't smog your engine cold the bypass tubing won't effect functional as it isn't used when the engine is warm.

good catch!