Harmonic Balancer Install---How To---

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
CA
#1.raise car,set on jack stands.

#2.remove cover.
HPIM2369-1.jpg

#3.remove ccrm bracket and overflow tank.set aside.
HPIM2370-1-1.jpg

HPIM2371.jpg

#4.remove fan,set aside.
HPIM2372-1.jpg

#5.push down,remove belt.
HPIM2373.jpg

#6.using 15/16 socket,remove crankshaft bolt.(i did this from under the car,just easier to take pic from top.if you dont have an impact wrench,with an assistant,remove starter,wedge large screwdriver against flywheel to prevent it from turning,while you loosen the crankshaft bolt with a long breaker bar.).
HPIM2374.jpg

#7.remove 4,1/2 inch crankshaft pulley bolts.(also from under car)
HPIM2375-1.jpg

#8.using puller,draw HB off crankshaft.
HPIM2376.jpg

HPIM2377.jpg

----old HB going bad----
HPIM2378-1.jpg

new HB from autozone.pioneer DA-3021.$98.
HPIM2381.jpg

#9.clean off crankshaft snout.place rtv sealant on HB keyway.(some chose to install new timing cover oil seal,i put new cover w/seal 2 years ago so i skipped that step)
HPIM2383.jpg

#10.carefully slide HB on crankshaft,lining up the crankshaft key with HB keyway.

#11.using rubber mallet or a peice of wood,lightly tap HB onto crankshaft.

#12.clean off crankshaft bolt and washer,install on crankshaft finger tight.DO NOT FORCE IT.if to tight remove it,make sure it's clean and try again.

#13.using short bursts from the impact wrench,slowly draw HB onto crankshaft until fully seated.tighten crankshaft bolt to 130 foot pounds.

#14.reinstall crankshaft pulley(i used a very small dab of locktite on the 4 bolts)
HPIM2375.jpg

-----look at the pullies from the side,make sure they all line up-----

#15.reinstall the belt.make sure everything's straight.
HPIM2373.jpg

#16.reinstall fan.
HPIM2372-1.jpg

#17.reinstall ccrm bracket w/coolant overflow tank.
HPIM2370-1-1.jpg

#18.reinstall cover.look everything over.
HPIM2369-1.jpg

#19.start car.bring to normal operating temp.shut off.

#20.remove spout connector.
HPIM2385.jpg

#21.hook up timing light.inductive pick-up on #1 plug wire.pos and neg to battery.
HPIM2384.jpg

#22.start car,check timing,adjust as needed.factory base timing is 10 degrees BTDC.shut off car.(i set mine at 13 BTDC)

#23.reinstall spout connector.
HPIM2385.jpg

#24 start car,check timing to ensure it is advancing beyond base timing.

#25.lower car.your done!grab a drink,and relax.

• Sponsors (?)

well you messed up putting the new one on... using the hammer is a bad idea, it can put the balancer slightly off center. use an installer to put it on, tighten the crank bolt as much as you can until it starts to turn, then get some one to stick a screw driver in the flywheel tooth and hold it against bellhousing so the flywheel wont move, then crank the bolt down to 130ft lb.

used a rubber mallet,not a hammer.everyone has a different way of doing things.i agree using an installer is the prefered way,but i have never had a problem with the way i installed the HB.

well you messed up putting the new one on... using the hammer is a bad idea, it can put the balancer slightly off center. use an installer to put it on, tighten the crank bolt as much as you can until it starts to turn, then get some one to stick a screw driver in the flywheel tooth and hold it against bellhousing so the flywheel wont move, then crank the bolt down to 130ft lb.

That's a fair warning, one should never pound the HB on with a hammer. Lightly tapping with a rubber mallet, as Davis3 described, won't hurt at all. The point of using the rubber mallet is to get the HB started on the crank so it won't fall off while you're getting everything else lined up.

The one problem with using the HB bolt to install the HB is, it can be really easy to strip the threads in the crankshaft. Short bursts of an impact wrench can reduce that risk, but the best way is to use the proper install tool. :nice:

That's a fair warning, one should never pound the HB on with a hammer. Lightly tapping with a rubber mallet, as Davis3 described, won't hurt at all. The point of using the rubber mallet is to get the HB started on the crank so it won't fall off while you're getting everything else lined up.

The one problem with using the HB bolt to install the HB is, it can be really easy to strip the threads in the crankshaft. Short bursts of an impact wrench can reduce that risk, but the best way is to use the proper install tool. :nice:

I concour with Chythar.....I stripped my crank threads using the HB to draw it on.

Like most things ... if we ... and I'm including myself in the ... WE part here :D

Would just think about what we are doing before doing something

We would be better off :)

Like in this case ;)

If you can fairly easily run the bolt in for a couple of turns

It is gonna be OK to pull the hb on down with the bolt

Now ... if you CAN'T catch but like half a thread OR the bolt is hard to turn

Well ... that is where you should listen to yourself when you suspect
something ain't like it needs to be :scratch:
so
Stop and don't do anything else :nono:

Until ... you find some trustworthy help you can rely on :nice:

Believe me ... Many times ... I've done hosed up :bang: