Headlight cleaning results.

gunmetal5.0

May 10, 2006
Chico, CA
Got a headlight cleaning kit from Kragen's. Included wet sanding paper (1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit), plastic polish and a shammy. Filled the inside with really hot water and it broke loose and grime that had built up inside and scrubbed some off with a q-tip taped to a ruler (hard to do much else through the small bulb hole in the back). Then followed the kit instructions for cleaning the outside. I'm happy with the results but the bottom inside still has a slight amount of crud that if cleaned would make it ten times better yet.

Does anyone know if filling the headlight with hot water with bleach in it will fog or haze the plastic? Was hoping it would break the rest of the crud loose. Or maybe other ideas? It's just hard to put much force on it with a q-tip taped to a ruler lol.

Anyways, how do you think it turned out? :D :SNSign:

View attachment 49925

• Sponsors (?)

Like I said the Inside needs help for it to be transparent. I could do another run of polishing on the outside but it's pretty clean already. The comments are appreciated anyway. But does anyone have ideas for the inside? Will a bleach solution hurt the plastic? Thanks. :D

honestly i think you best bet would be getting a new set. yeah you can make them look better than before but for best results I would get a new set. You can beat the newness to them. :D you can try 5.0resto.com or another comany that sells new headlights. Try hot soapy water and if you have some compressed air gently blow the remaining water out when done.

Thanks nibbie. Obviously new headlights would fix the problem and I will be getting some but for the time being(money reasons) wanna try and make these look betta. Here are the results from a second cleaning. :D

View attachment 49927

Used a crafts sponge dobber type thing electrical taped (use it for everything lol) it to an engine bolt ;) for the inside and just filled it with steaming hot water and taped the two drain holes with of course electrical tape ;) . No air compressor, that would have been a good idea. Wet sanded and polished the outside again with the plastic polish. Looks better yet?

View attachment 49928

they do look better, but since they were hazed before, it will not take long for them to haze back up again, especially since you have sanded them. i don't know what the kit cost, but if it's the kit i tried, it was like $20? and for another $60 you could have gotten a whole new set of lights, with side markers and turn signals. not trying to bash, i understand about $$ being an issue. if you are happy with it, then it don't matter what we think...