Fox Help!!!! I Sit Taller In My Car Now That I Replaced My Interior!!!

Newbs - LMR sells both our upholstery and our direct competitors (cheaper) upholstery. Can you confirm 100% that the upholstery you received came in box with a large red, TMI logo on both sides? Our upholstery will also have a TMI tag on the inside of all of the upholstery pieces.

Lets start there- check it out and let me know.

Thanks,
Have y'all received any complaints regarding the foam in in the past or is this new news? If it's the former has the issue been addressed with the curret foam on the market?

• Sponsors (?)

Same issue with mine, although it isn't because it's a "low grade" foam is it has been alluded to in this thread, just a firmer foam than the original ones FoMoCo used. While I do find the higher seating height a bit of an issue, I also find that the TMI foam is far more supportive than the originals ever were.

Doubly crappy for me, I bought the CJ Pony Parts seat track extenders for my drivers seat and along with the added 6" of leg room, it bumps you up another 1/2-3/4" on top of that. My head was practically sticking through the sunroof.

The only real solution is to find a way to drop your seat brackets a little. I've cut and rewelded my seat frames to help this, but It seems I still haven't gone low enough. Gotta find away to get another inch or so lower.

I haven't seen, or heard of the drop brackets @madspeed was talking about, but I'd be interested in a set if they do exist.

How high are we talking?
How tall are you?

I'm 6'3" and even without the seat track extenders, my head is touching the frame of the sunroof. One good pothole is going to give me a concussion.

I talked to an upholstery shop and the estimate was pretty close having them do it instead of buying tmi foam and covers.
*Edit* I'm thinking that having a shop do it is the better way to go. The price is nearly a wash and incase something does go awry I think you'd have a better chance of recourse dealing with a local shop vs mail order stuff. Oh and what's the deal with the rear seat foam, does it not get ripped like the fronts do when you take the old upholstery off? One would be lead to believe so due to the fact that no one sells rear replacements.

Last edited:
Same issue with mine, although it isn't because it's a "low grade" foam is it has been alluded to in this thread, just a firmer foam than the original ones FoMoCo used. While I do find the higher seating height a bit of an issue, I also find that the TMI foam is far more supportive than the originals ever were.

Doubly crappy for me, I bought the CJ Pony Parts seat track extenders for my drivers seat and along with the added 6" of leg room, it bumps you up another 1/2-3/4" on top of that. My head was practically sticking through the sunroof.

The only real solution is to find a way to drop your seat brackets a little. I've cut and rewelded my seat frames to help this, but It seems I still haven't gone low enough. Gotta find away to get another inch or so lower.

I haven't seen, or heard of the drop brackets @madspeed was talking about, but I'd be interested in a set if they do exist.

How tall are you?

I'm 6'3" and even without the seat track extenders, my head is touching the frame of the sunroof. One good pothole is going to give me a concussion.
5'8" ish. I think I read once that @revhead347 said he's 5'7" and his hair was touching the headliner in his SN.

Personally, I don't think the issue lies with the foam, but the way Ford designed the seats themselves. Fox seats have always been on the uncomfortable side....LX, GT, Sport...you name it. They've never offered enough support for anyone over 150lbs.

The TMI foams make the seats more comfortable by providing us with firmer, better quality replacement foam. This helps the comfort and the support tremendously. The problem now is that in doing so, this amplifies the already poor seat geometry. The seats should have been designed in a more upright position, that was lower to the floor boards, with better foams back in the 80's when this car was built....but like everything of that era, it was slapped together with cost cutting and high production values in mind.

I think my next step is going to be modifying the lateral support bars in the floor pan next. Thinking of taking the cut-off wheel to them, and dropping them half an inch or so?

Yeah I changed my upholstery and foam with new TMI stuff from LMR back in the Spring. I had read previously that people were complaining about sitting higher. I really didn't give it much thought, but they were right. I too sit higher in my vert.

I've learned to duck when I put the top up. That hurts!!

Time to upgrade to never model year seats with power adjustability!
I think Kurt said even when he had the seat all the way down in the Sn it was high, I could be mistaken though. At any rate I think I'm going to take a pass on the tmi. I've read many good reviews but that's too much money for me to spend to take a gamble on. I don't wanna be cutting my way out of a cluster "F" to get them to work right.

Last edited:
This months MM&FF did an '11 with tmi stuff.
image.jpg

"The taller TMI seat cushion keeps you in your seat significantly better."
image.jpg

I did not realize there would be a zipper seam on the back of the seat.

Last edited:
Confirm, I am 5'7", and my head was rubbing on the headliner with the TMI foam with the seat adjusted all the way down. I had also just rebuilt the seat adjustment mechanism, so I am positive it was in the lowest position. The solution was to trim foam out of the bottom. Fox seats are mediocre, but SN95 seats are some of the most comfortable seats ever put in a car.

Kurt

@TMIproducts This is a major concern of mine too. Foam and vinyl seat covers are on my "wish list" for this winter. I have heard about the foam height nightmare many times over on multiple sites and a few car shows and it is definitely holding me back from making a purchase. Please advise.

I re-upholstered my seats from red to black a month or so ago and also replaced the old drivers seat foam with the TMI foam. I too also sit higher in the seat with the new TMI foam.
But if I sit in the passenger seat of my car with the original stock foam in it, I sit higher in that seat than I did in the drivers seat with the old foam.
My passenger seat has never had the use my drivers seat has had in the 26 years I have owned my Mustang. But the new TMI foam certainly does make for a firmer sitting seat.

If this is a denser foam and it sits higher than the original then shaving it must work. When I do mine I am going to mount the seats in the car and keep shaving and reapplying the foam till it sits just right. No way will I put up with a ridiculous ride height.

If this is a denser foam and it sits higher than the original then shaving it must work. When I do mine I am going to mount the seats in the car and keep shaving and reapplying the foam till it sits just right. No way will I put up with a ridiculous ride height.
Not me man. I can't justify $700 and then have to mess with it to get it right when an upholstery shop gave me an estismate of $850. Even if it ends up being $1,000 in the end I figure there's not that much of a difference between 700 and 1k and I'd end up with a better product without a cheesey zipper in the back. I'm thinking I'm going with vinyl. @TMIproducts The foam was pretty much the deal breaker.