help me get around 300-350 hp

0LASERGT1 said:
if I were you, i'd start to inch the "blower" towards the top of the list. Especially having a 96-98.

its not worth the money, ive beaten quite a few 96-98 blower cars, its a worthless mod for those heads/cams/intake.

Go all motor, get some Hardcore cams, a serious port job and some kind of aftermarket intake, that and some spray and you can run low 11s.(on stickys)

• Sponsors (?)

a blower inched to the top of my list over winter and i finaly got it. I jumped 150hp and 100tq to the ground with the single mod.

If you want that power get an 01 cobra motor swap and put full exhaust on it. Dich the 96-98 motor. It's a good motor but has too low of power to go with anything but a blower.

just some guy said:
its not worth the money, ive beaten quite a few 96-98 blower cars, its a worthless mod for those heads/cams/intake.

Go all motor, get some Hardcore cams, a serious port job and some kind of aftermarket intake, that and some spray and you can run low 11s.(on stickys)
Sorry dude, but with a 13.15 at 103.37 w 1.77 60'...you beat the driver, not the car. Even a centrifugally blown non-PI car with relatively conservative boost levels should be able to muster up a better time than that. Get one with a Positive displacement blower like an AED, Kenne Bell, or FRPP that doesn't have the crappy NPI intake to deal with and they run faster still. Yeah, Nitrous will make it fast, but nitrous makes anything fast....and you're always filling the bottle. Not to mention crazy cams kind of takes away from the drivability and fuel economy end of things too.

Bottom line, is a blower on a mod motor is definitely NOT a waste of money, regardless of the year. NPI engines take a little more motivation than their PI predecessors, but they're a force to be reckoned with, either way. If a ’96-’98 guy wanted to even the score, then porting the NPI heads, swapping out to a set of PI cams and running a positive displacement blower puts them on even ground if not a little ahead of their younger siblings in any respect.

crazynorwegian said:
mph(modular powerhouse) stage 2 1/2 heads, stage 2 vt cams, pi intake, and a good tune. thats what I'm doing in a few weeks, and it should put me around 320-330rwhp according to mph. if you do all the labor yourself it will still run you close to $3,000. add a bullet intake manifold, and a bunch of bolt ons, and you'll be closer to 350rwhp

I thought you were going cobra engine? Anyways, id really like to see what you put down man, Im pretty much in the same boat as you, picked up some pi heads over the weekend and going to have friend that used to port heads for a living do mine, going with vt stage 1 cams tho. I duno about smog and stage 2s..ahah. Who are you gona have tune yours? I was kind of thinking of going to apex motorsports in santa clara, not sure yet. I can't wait myself to make my "turd" fast, and Im sure you are real excited to. Hopefully I can get started on mine soon as semester ends.

90RanGer said:
I thought you were going cobra engine? Anyways, id really like to see what you put down man, Im pretty much in the same boat as you, picked up some pi heads over the weekend and going to have friend that used to port heads for a living do mine, going with vt stage 1 cams tho. I duno about smog and stage 2s..ahah. Who are you gona have tune yours? I was kind of thinking of going to apex motorsports in santa clara, not sure yet. I can't wait myself to make my "turd" fast, and Im sure you are real excited to. Hopefully I can get started on mine soon as semester ends.

I changed my mind. 280rwhp from the cobra motor, or 320rwhp from the heads cams and pi manifold for the same price as the cobra motor. plus my motor will appear to be stock, besides the the lobbing idle from the vt cams. I'm not going to worry about smog right now. I have 1 1/2 years before I have to get it done again, and I when the time comes, I'll just set aside a weekend to swap the vt cams for some regular pi cams. then after I get it smoged I'll just swap back. will take some time, but its worth the stage 2 cams. I wont be tuning the car right away,I goto save a little bit more for the tune. theres a guy thats on the CAfords message board by the name jeff s. who I might be getting the tune done by. But, if that doesn't work out I'll be having it tuned by apex. I'll try to keep everyone up to date on the dyno numbers.

crazynorwegian said:
I changed my mind. 280rwhp from the cobra motor, or 320rwhp from the heads cams and pi manifold for the same price as the cobra motor. plus my motor will appear to be stock, besides the the lobbing idle from the vt cams. I'm not going to worry about smog right now. I have 1 1/2 years before I have to get it done again, and I when the time comes, I'll just set aside a weekend to swap the vt cams for some regular pi cams. then after I get it smoged I'll just swap back. will take some time, but its worth the stage 2 cams. I wont be tuning the car right away,I goto save a little bit more for the tune. theres a guy thats on the CAfords message board by the name jeff s. who I might be getting the tune done by. But, if that doesn't work out I'll be having it tuned by apex. I'll try to keep everyone up to date on the dyno numbers.

I'll be intrested to see the #'s. I know a guy with port and polished PI heads, PI intake, Comp cams, full bolt-ons except UDP's. Hes just barely pushing over 300 rwhp.

well to get anywhere near the 350 mark you are most likely looking at

heads (mph, vt,foxlake) $1800
cams (I would do custom) $600
intake (p51) $1200
longtubes $500
solid lash adjusters? I think the higher hp cars run these
dyno tune $400

posibly even pullies, larger maf, injectors.

I would think even with all this you would be in the 330-340 range. this setup would get you well over 300 though.

the reality though it is alot of cash but with a 98 car you will proably end up with as much if not more power than a supercharger.

hognutz said:
.....the reality though it is alot of cash but with a 98 car you will proably end up with as much if not more power than a supercharger.
I disagree. You just totaled up $4500.00 worth of parts for without the pullies, injectors and MAF for 330-340rwhp. You could easily surpass that by well over 30-50rwhp with an S-Trim/Novi 1000 kit, ported heads with PI cams and still have money left over for further mods. Not to mention retain 100% stock drivability and fuel economy. Doing it the N/A route seems like a lot of money to spend just to hear some lopey cams when you’re at idle. :nonono:

If you want to do it because you have a disposable income or like a rough idle, or want to be different with your build than most, that’s one thing. But don’t be fooled into thinking N/A is the better bang for the buck in comparison to superchargeing with a Modular engine, regardless of the year….because it’s not! Not even close. :)

Gearbanger 101 said:
I disagree. You just totaled up $4500.00 worth of parts for without the pullies, injectors and MAF for 330-340rwhp. You could easily surpass that by well over 30-50rwhp with an S-Trim/Novi 1000 kit, ported heads with PI cams and still have money left over for further mods. Not to mention retain 100% stock drivability and fuel economy. Doing it the N/A route seems like a lot of money to spend just to hear some lopey cams when you’re at idle. :nonono:

If you want to do it because you have a disposable income or like a rough idle, or want to be different with your build than most, that’s one thing. But don’t be fooled into thinking N/A is the better bang for the buck in comparison to superchargeing with a Modular engine, regardless of the year….because it’s not! Not even close. :)

I did not realize you could get that much out of a 98 car superchared. I mean the 5k kenebell kit advertises about 150rwhp and that is proably with 1k of thier ad ons as well. that is what I was basing that on.

how much hp does a stock novi pre 98 get. I don't see it being over 350hp. I road in a 98 with a vortech and the thing was not all that fast. high 13's tops.

then once you pi swap you older car you have higher compression so you can't run as much boost.

I don't see the big cash differece you are talking about.

crazynorwegian said:
later down the road after I forge the bottom end, and drop the compression down a little, a kb supercharger on 98 with p&p heads and cams can produce over 500rwhp.

yeah once you can safely crank the boost up I know you can make a tone of power no matter what year.

hognutz said:
I don't see the big cash differece you are talking about.
Alright then….lets compare.

Your set up for approx 330-340rwhp…..which is still pushing it BTW.

heads (mph, vt,foxlake) $1800
cams (I would do custom) $600
intake (p51) $1200
longtubes $500
solid lash adjusters? I think the higher hp cars run these
dyno tune $400

posibly even pullies, larger maf, injectors. (which you neglected to mention is going to tack at least another $550.00+ to the total)

I would think even with all this you would be in the 330-340 range. this setup would get you well over 300 though.

Which gives you a grand total of $5,050.00

Versus a very simple supercharged set up...

Mongoose S-Trim Kit (which already comes with larger injectors, MAF and tune) = $3,770.00
Ported NPI heads and PI cams = $800.00
PI Intake $160.00

Which gives you a grand total of $4,710.00…..and 390-400rwhp and likewise torque figures. Torque which is harder achieved and less spectacular with a N/A set up. And you’ve still got money left over for gears and a T/B and Elbow before you reach the same cost as the N/A set-up. And again, perfect drivability and no loss of fuel economy with daily driving.

Don't mistake my reasoning for me trying to be a dick. It's just not cost effective to build a N/A set up for your everyday enthusiast. Do the figures make sense to you now? :shrug:

crazynorwegian said:
mph(modular powerhouse) stage 2 1/2 heads, stage 2 vt cams, pi intake, and a good tune. thats what I'm doing in a few weeks, and it should put me around 320-330rwhp according to mph. if you do all the labor yourself it will still run you close to $3,000. add a bullet intake manifold, and a bunch of bolt ons, and you'll be closer to 350rwhp

Theres no way thatll hit 320rwhp. I'm sorry. You should be pleased if you see 300.

crazynorwegian said:

I got my cobra engine and transmission out of a wrecked cobra with 10k miles on rebuild for 2,700 shipped.

crazynorwegian said:
I'm just going to what people are getting with this setup. my setup will be lightly different from your. I'll be using mph heads, which flow slightly better then the vt heads, and I'll be using the stock short-block, so my compression will be over 10-1 with the new heads.

vt stage 2 heads
220 intake/ 195 exhaust @ .550lift

mph stage 2 1/2 heads
235 intake/ 202 exhaust @ .550lift

you are missing some of the other big bolt ons that you need though to hit 300...
new plenum, throttle body, intake, and you don't have longtubes...I was told at mph that I would make 310, no problem, and that was before my 302 block, and also before my port and polished heads...and after all that, I still only made 307....

98stangv8 said:
that is the same thing I said...very lucky to hit 300

That was I was thinking also. Like I said my friend with port and polished PI heads (dont remeber what company they were from but it wasent some just as home job), Comp cams, full bolt-ons including LT's and catless mid-pipe is just barely making over 300. Only way I see getting to possible 330 rwhp is port and polished PI heads, some aggresive cams, full bolt-ons, and an aftermarket intake, and after all that I think you would be lucky to see 330 rwhp. I think KenB is making like 358 rwhp and his car is completely decked out with all the best stuff.

98stangv8 said:
you are missing some of the other big bolt ons that you need though to hit 300...
new plenum, throttle body, intake, and you don't have longtubes...I was told at mph that I would make 310, no problem, and that was before my 302 block, and also before my port and polished heads...and after all that, I still only made 307....

well I'll see what I get when the dyno #'s come in. I'm not going to be pissed off if I only get 300rwhp, that is still enough to take 99% of the cars on the road. I didnt want to supercharge my engine because is has high milage on it, and I didnt want to risk blowing something up. also there's a lot of ls1 guys out there that are convinced that no N/A gt can beat them. I'm just on a mission to prove them wrong. btw are you still running the 19lb injectors?

If you want that kinda power, get a ls1. Mustangs are for looks, GM is for going fast.

Oh gearbanger, compare the old chevy 283 with fords 281 4.6? Sorry but the old 283 is still the better of the two. (stock form that is)