Engine Help Needed Please Help!

projectstangz

Oct 12, 2011
Hello all,
So as I was driving to work the other day my car completely shut down on me. I rolled to the side walk as my speed was decreasing and tried cranking.....cranking......cranking.... But nothing. This had happened to me a few times before but after I would let my car sit for a while and after wiggling around with wires around the engine it will fire back up and will drive and start fine for about two days until it did it again and I had to do the same steps to get it to start.

This time my luck was gone, I started looking for what was causing my car not turn on since my car will crank but will not ignite the two main things came to my mind, gas or spark looked at gas pressure with key switch open and while cranking and good gas pressure, so then I moved to looking for spark issues and Badammmmmm when I took cap off dizzy I noticed that rotor leg that drops in dizzy gear was broken of rotor. So then first thing that came to my mind was hmmm defective rotor. I bought new rotor threw it on and crossed my finger but nothing .

I took cap off and had someone crank car for me, I then saw that my rotor was not moving, I took of bolt plus hold down clamp that hold dizzy down and tried removing dizzy, but dizzy gear will will not move the housing of the dizzy spins freely but when I try to pull up dizzy it wont come out because its like if the distributors gear is stuck with my cam gear or something is keeping them from turning. Can someone please give me some suggestions to try to get my problem fixed I need my car to work again a sap. Someone please help me.

Only weird thing I noticed before this happened other then car shutting down on me on other occasions, is that i've noticed that my car was leaking oil from idle air control valve, valve cover filler neck.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting a headache trying to read the longest run on sentence I have ever seen.

PLEASE edit your post and use punctuation: it is very difficult to understand. That's why you haven't gotten a bunch of replies with suggestions on what to do.

If you're rotor was broken & now you are unable to remove the distributor from the block, I'd start by getting to the bottom of that matter before worrying about the wiring or an oil leak.

All I am asking for is for a little bit of help not for people to start making fun of me. Can someone please help??

My distributor is stuck and I cannot remove it. The housing spins freely, but the shaft will not turn either way. No matter what I do the the shaft of the distributor will not budge, its like if the gear of the distributor shaft is stuck with the cam gear and something forcinf them together keeping them from
turning.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this distributor out of my car??

Uh. your distributor shaft should not turn freely with the distributor in the car. The distributor gear engages the camshaft and is turned when the engine cranks. Your distributor housing is supposed to turn independent of the shaft to adjust timing. If the distributor shaft was broken, the rotor would freewheel.

To remove the distributor, put a rubber strap wrench on the distributor shaft. Spray some PB blaster into the area where the distributor meets the intake. SLOWLY try and work the distributor back and forth and up and out. Do NOT try and force the distributor by pushing on the TFI module.

Ok I will defenetly give it a shot this weekend, keeping my fingers crossed that it will come out and that there is no damage in my cams gers.

When you say that the shaft of the distributor should turn when cranking the car, why do do you think mine isnt turning if the car cranks fine? What is holding my cars distributor shaft gear with cams gear together? Not letting them spin?

I would try the strap method with PB blaster first. My bet is the distributor although it will rotate, is stuck to the intake and will not lift up due to either electrolysis or crud built up causing it to stick in the engine.

If you are 100% certain the housing is not stuck to the intake, then I would say the shaft seized. If the shaft is locked up, the gear on the end of the shaft is locked into the gear on the cam, so you can't turn the distributor shaft to disengage the gear from the cam gear. You will need another set of hands to try this.....

Put a breaker bar and a socket on the crank pulley and slowly turn it over. Take the rotor off the distributor shaft. When you turn the crank you should see your shaft turn as long as the distributor gear is ok. put a wrench on the distributor shaft where the rotor cane off. At the same time you try and turn the wrench to disengage the gear and lift up the distributor. That may be enough to free up the shaft and get the distributor out.

If the shaft is sized, the distributor is FUBAR and you will need a replacement.

All I am asking for is for a little bit of help not for people to start making fun of me. Can someone please help??

My distributor is stuck and I cannot remove it. The housing spins freely, but the shaft will not turn either way. No matter what I do the the shaft of the distributor will not budge, its like if the gear of the distributor shaft is stuck with the cam gear and something forcinf them together keeping them from
turning.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this distributor out of my car??

They're not making fun of you. They're trying to make sense of your post.

It looks as if you have several issues going on at the same time. First and foremost is your distributor. It looks like they're pointing you in the right direction to get that resolved.

Once that's done, I think you're going to need a PCV and probably a TFI module. The IAC will need to be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled with a new gasket.

I am 100% sure my distributoris not stuck to the intake, when I turn the crank pulley the shaft of the distributor does not move. That tells me that my distributors shaft gear isnot okay and that its seized and somehow stuck to my cams gear, i dont understand how this could happen? I had replaced my distributor 7 months ago before this happens to me. Now knowing that my distributors shaft gear is stuck with my cams gear, how would I go about removing my distributor. Any help/suggestions is much appreciated

thanks everyone

Last time I heard of the problem, the cam thrust plate behind the cam timing chain sprocket had come loose. That allowed the camshaft to slide forward and jam things up. In your case, I hope that I am wrong about that being your problem.

i bet what happened is when the dizzy was replaced the wrong gear was on it and it chewed up and hung on the cam gear or worse the oil pump is locked up and it's swisted the rods up

I am 100% sure my distributoris not stuck to the intake, when I turn the crank pulley the shaft of the distributor does not move. That tells me that my distributors shaft gear isnot okay and that its seized and somehow stuck to my cams gear, i dont understand how this could happen? I had replaced my distributor 7 months ago before this happens to me. Now knowing that my distributors shaft gear is stuck with my cams gear, how would I go about removing my distributor. Any help/suggestions is much appreciated

thanks everyone

I already answered how to try and remove the distributor. Read it again. If that doesn't work your next step is probably taking off the timing cover, as most likely the thrust plate came loose and your cam walked forward or you used the incorrect distributor gear and it chewed up the cam gear.

I'm sorry got a hard time (especially as a new member) - the people on this forum are pretty good guys, but even the best of us have bad days, so don't let that discourage you from asking questions in the future. You came to the right place!

If distributor isn't spinning with crank, pull a valve cover to see if pushrods move with crank (to make sure cam is spinning with crank & timing chain not broken).

From there, can diagnose if it is a cam gear issue, dist shaft issue, or timing chain issue.

Good luck & please keep us posted on what you find!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry got a hard time (especially as a new member) - the people on this forum are pretty good guys, but even the best of us have bad days, so don't let that discourage you from asking questions in the future. You came to the right place!

If distributor isn't spinning with crank, pull a valve cover to see if pushrods move with crank (to make sure cam is spinning with crank & timing chain not broken).

From there, can diagnose if it is a cam gear issue, dist shaft issue, or timing chain issue.

Good luck & please keep us posted on what you find!

Good advice....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

thank you very much Hawkeye for the advice, I will definitely try that I been so busy lately that I haven't had any chance to do anything with it but I am looking forward to spending some time on it this weekend coming up. I will keep you guys posted. Any additional advice is always welcome.

Hey guys I thought it would be a good idea to let you guys know that I haven't had a chance to work on my car and thats why i have not updated anything but I will defenetly try this weekend since its a long weekend I will let you guys know what happends.

So I finally found some spare time to work on my car, I was able to get the distributor out after pulling and pulling.

Distributor came out with 4 teeth gears broken. I drained oil and out new fresh oil, I put a new dizzy, after examining cam gears and making sure they were in good shape. I put car to tdc and fired up car, the car started:) But thennnn :( Really loud noise coming from around underneath upper intake and on top of heads.

Would anybody know where this noise is coming from?? Is it oossible that something else broke??