Hernia

kristopher

Apr 18, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
Has anyone here ever had a hernia? I was just lifting a heavy box into the house now it feels like I dropped a nut or something. I knew the box was to heavy but I carried it anyways. :bang: I heard heavy lifting can cause one. Anyone know how to detect a hernia?

• Sponsors (?)

kristopher said:
Has anyone here ever had a hernia? I was just lifting a heavy box into the house now it feels like I dropped a nut or something. I knew the box was to heavy but I carried it anyways. :bang: I heard heavy lifting can cause one. Anyone know how to detect a hernia?

I have had surgery for hernias twice.
First time I had pneumonia, and while sneezing, my belly button suddenly became a very large "outie". Got that fixed. A year later, while sneezing, I split the abdominal muscles just above the belly button - it looked like a little pup tent. That was was apparently very dangerous, and I got surgery immediately. I now have a Teflon (tm) screen on my belly, just under the skin. Yes, I am a very violent sneezer - I have to pull over in the car if I feel a sneeze coming on.

A hernia will be a pronounced bulge or bubble. More than likely though, you got what is know as a "GRoin Pull". That one hurts, but is not permanent.

To find it if you did get one it could be around the belly button area and lower past the beltline. Go over your skin with moderate pressure with a flat hand,If you feel anything out of the oridinary get to the doc- hell get to the doc anyway hernias aren't something to mess with.

kristopher said:
Thanks for the info. I think I am ok though. The pain went away.

I had one in my "sac", seriously. My dad started calling me "tri-pod". :rlaugh:

There is a layer of abdominal tissue that keeps your insides from coming out. Once that layer is broken, your intestines will start to bulge out, because the epidermis is not tensile enough to keep it from bulging.

When you are a baby, your testes are inside your body, and they drop down into our sac later on, and the abdominal tissue closes the hole. But if it doesn't close it all the way, it will slowly open up more and more, especially during heavy lifting.

Once it opens enough, the intestines will start to protrude, and you will need surgery to close the hole.

If you don't have any bulging down there, or your belly button, I think it was a pulled muscle, and no biggie. Ice it for the 1st 24 hours and heat it up after that.
Scott