HID Projector Swap... UPDATES!!! LOTS LOTS LOTS of Pics... 56k warning...

Adams91LX

Dec 9, 2003
Plano, TX
So I finally got everything in today...
My wiring harness finally came from suvlights.com today...
Wednesday I got my projectors and ballasts...

The ballasts and projectors are E46 BMW bi xenon projectors... they are ridiculously bright.. yep.

I started creating the fiberglass shrouds yesterday... and then cut the back of the headlights out, and also cut the back of the mounting panel out...

So far all it going well... except I killed my dad's dremel... he was pissed... we got it in July... and it has a 5 year warranty... so I think we'll be alright :D

Anyway... a few teaser pics... it's been a bunch of work... and umm... fiberglass isn't as bad as I thought it would be (first time to use it)...
But I'm way excited... the lights are great...

Still way more work to do... but I wanted you kids to see it...
I still have to bondo and sand the shrouds a bunch more...
And also make the wholes in the back of the headlights bigger...
Then it'll be fitting them and and sealing the lights... then aiming... lots of aiming :/

100_0203.jpg

View attachment 425317
View attachment 425319
View attachment 425322
View attachment 425324
View attachment 425326
View attachment 425328
100_0224.jpg

The next few are just the fiberglass, before bondo work... so you can still see through the shrouds.... looks better now tho.
100_0226.jpg

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

View attachment 425338
View attachment 425340
100_0235.jpg

You can still see the foil on the inside of the shroud...
The lenses are really dirty in this one... promise, they are not scratched.
100_0237.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

well since BMW's were mentioned. Congrats on the projector decision. I have the same setup in my 03 Bmw...I love them! you said they were "Bi" have you got the shutter to work yet. Just a little FYI the shutters don't operate on 12V so use caution. they will work on 12V but will burn out easily so check into that.do you have any pics of the Ballasts and
volt. reg box? GL:nice:
bmw1600x400.jpg

Attachments

• bmw1600x400.jpg
    bmw1600x400.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 110
GSXRMIXXER said:
well since BMW's were mentioned. Congrats on the projector decision. I have the same setup in my 03 Bmw...I love them! you said they were "Bi" have you got the shutter to work yet. Just a little FYI the shutters don't operate on 12V so use caution. they will work on 12V but will burn out easily so check into that.do you have any pics of the Ballasts and
volt. reg box? GL:nice:

I haven't got the brights to work yet... what do the shutter's operate on?
:scratch:

dbdragracing said:
Sweet.........did the harness just plug in? Keep us updated!
yeah... it was cake to plug in...
here's a diagram... it's just plug and play... easy...
wireharness.jpg

grey5.0beast said:
Are you gonna have brights? Looks badass!
yes... and thanks.

caseywan said:
If don't mind sharing, post up the links to the auctions you got your stuff from off eBay. I'm just curious how much all the stuff cost you.

haha...
yeah.....
projectors, ballasts, bulbs, and ignitors... $359 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=120047864034&rd=1&rd=1
and if that link doesn't work the item number was 120047864034...

The wiring harness came from suvlights.com
$63+$12 shipping...

Then like $15 for this fiberglass auto repair kit... from autozone
$6 for bondo...
$5 can of black matte spray paint...

So far I'm up to like $460 plus I'd say 10 hours so far...

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• wireharness.jpg
    wireharness.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 100
Happen to get the idea from Raceoholic? lol Looks awesome. I just put HID's in my car but went the easy way an put them in my G2 headlights. They are bulbs an ballasts from a Infiniti G35.

Cool, keep it up man, looks good.... I too have HID's in my fox, its been about a year now since I finished my project...
The aiming was a pain in the a** but all in all I love my HID's.....

hehe... yeah RacEoHolic330 and Mustang5L5 both helped me out a bunch... THANKS GUYS btw!!!

So far actually all is great... just need to pull them back out and paint them... they are marked and aimed...

so anyway... below are a few more pics for you all... as of five minutes ago...

the lights are back out now... ready to be primed and painted then put back in and sealed... :D

100_0238.jpg

100_0240.jpg

View attachment 425089
View attachment 425092
View attachment 425094

That looks great! Your cut-off line is a little fuzzy because you are shining the lights through diffuser-style headlight lenses.

You should really look into pickup up clear aftermarket headlights...at leasy just the headlight portions alone. That will give you a more crisp cutoff line.

I don't know what voltage the high-beam shutters operate off. I always thought it was 12V but maybe not. Avoid using them until you can find a definitive answer. I'll see what i can find

Looking good man. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to make that little high beam circuit, but it's worth it.

I also second getting a set of ultra clear headlights. Makes a HUGE difference in the way the cutoff looks.