How can they confiscate these cars?

• Sponsors (?)

dragnazz5.0 said:
they didnt get arrested and impounded for hanging out in a parking lot. they were caught street racing by an undercover cop. they were doing 165 mph on the highway.

I must have read over that part... if they were all doing anywhere near 165mph they should be thrown under the jail :)

well im sure that some of them cant go that fast....but thats what the first part of the article said and thats what they were saying on the news. ive got to find out when the police auction is and see if i can score one of those mustangs...hehe

dragnazz5.0 said:
they didnt get arrested and impounded for hanging out in a parking lot. they were caught street racing by an undercover cop. they were doing 165 mph on the highway.
im confused. so the cop clocked them earlier that night at 165? or 4 months earlier? Im guessing they got them earlier, it says they were using surveillance cameras, so they had these set up on the interstate to get their tag numbers?

1985 5.0 said:
This makes no sense why the cops impounded their cars and arrested them for hanging out in a parking lot. :shrug:

As said, they weren't just sitting there. And this may be another clue:
DMV officials claimed at least six of the 17 cars because they think some of the cars contained stolen parts.

I've got a friend that is from NYC and used to street race Mustangs when foxes were brand new. He said that some people would steal 3 or 4 brand new Mustangs and park them in alleys and lots and whenever they needed a spare part, they knew where to get them.
Also how would you feel if your car was stolen and stripped for its parts?

Honestly street racers are just stupid. I can't just drive my car to school without some ricer revving on me. If I want to race, there's a track 5 minutes from me.
Also stings and seizures are nothing new to the street racing world. Those people knew the risks so they get no sympathy from me; same with people who kill themselves being stupid.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]As said, they weren't just sitting there. And this may be another clue:

I've got a friend that is from NYC and used to street race Mustangs when foxes were brand new. He said that some people would steal 3 or 4 brand new Mustangs and park them in alleys and lots and whenever they needed a spare part, they knew where to get them.
Also how would you feel if your car was stolen and stripped for its parts?

Honestly street racers are just stupid. I can't just drive my car to school without some ricer revving on me. If I want to race, there's a track 5 minutes from me.
Also stings and seizures are nothing new to the street racing world. Those people knew the risks so they get no sympathy from me; same with people who kill themselves being stupid.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with street racing but whether you like it or not, its going to happen. After the cops busted them there, they will just start doing it other places. The problem is that tracks are not open at 1 a.m. Maybe if they came up with a place for them to race at night then this problem would not be that bad.

And about the stolen parts, they THINK they might be stolen. They do not know nothing yet.

1985 5.0 said:
The problem is that tracks are not open at 1 a.m. Maybe if they came up with a place for them to race at night then this problem would not be that bad.

This is a piss poor excuse. Does the fact that the bar closes at 2am give me a good reason to drive home drunk?
Both the town I'm from and the one I go to school at have tracks. You will always have those people that never go to the track and those that always go to the track. The difference is the ones that go to the track aren't breaking the law and endangering lives.
With most people on the street, it doesn't matter what the tracks do, they'll always be on the street. I really don't think it'll ever end; but I don't sympathize with the morons when they lose their cars. This is why I hate ricers revving on me. I know it's not worth it for me to get a ticket to prove my car is faster than a Civic. These people made similar assessments and decisions and they lost to the odds.

And about the stolen parts, they THINK they might be stolen. They do not know nothing yet.

Eh, so the paper says. Notice the DMV took certain cars; not all of them. I'm sure they know what they're looking for.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]This is a piss poor excuse. Does the fact that the bar closes at 2am give me a good reason to drive home drunk?
Both the town I'm from and the one I go to school at have tracks. You will always have those people that never go to the track and those that always go to the track. The difference is the ones that go to the track aren't breaking the law and endangering lives.
With most people on the street, it doesn't matter what the tracks do, they'll always be on the street. I really don't think it'll ever end; but I don't sympathize with the morons when they lose their cars. This is why I hate ricers revving on me. I know it's not worth it for me to get a ticket to prove my car is faster than a Civic. These people made similar assessments and decisions and they lost to the odds.

Eh, so the paper says. Notice the DMV took certain cars; not all of them. I'm sure they know what they're looking for.[/QUOTE]

It might be a piss poor excuse but this is what all of them say. They all say if they had somewhere to go to off of the street, then they would not do it on the street. And I believe that if there was somewhere to go and not take all those risks, then they would do it.

1985 5.0 said:
It might be a piss poor excuse but this is what all of them say.

Yea I know, and I believed it until I realized just how easy it is to go to the track around here, and people are STILL on the streets.
The track here is open 2 nights a week and is open late. Most of the street racing takes place on Fri., while the track is open. Plus, if you go to the track you get to know how fast your car really is (I can see how THIS would deter some people :D ).

How the hell can they auction off a car if it dosent belong to them? Thats kinda like reverse stealing or something.

You're kidding right?

Anyone else think of The Simpsons when Homer bought Snake's Firebird convertible Lil Bandit?
"That smells like regular. She needs premium, dude. Premium! Dude!!!"

Here is my favorite quote from the article

"One Mustang had a racing engine in it, police said."

I wonder how exactly they determine what a "racing engine" is.

More than likely they have had the group under survelliance for quite a while and busted them all at once as a show of force and to try to scare the people who were there into not racing. Will it work, probably not but that shouldn't stop them from arresting them and seizing cars, if they can prove that they were racing.

Most of the guys that I know that street race have no desire to go to the track even if it was open 24/7. To many rules and regulations and not enough of a "thrill" for them. I think that they are incredibly foolish and ultimately will pay a high price for their thrill, hopefully they don't injure or kill someone along the way.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Yea I know, and I believed it until I realized just how easy it is to go to the track around here, and people are STILL on the streets.
The track here is open 2 nights a week and is open late. Most of the street racing takes place on Fri., while the track is open. Plus, if you go to the track you get to know how fast your car really is (I can see how THIS would deter some people :D ).

You're kidding right?

Anyone else think of The Simpsons when Homer bought Snake's Firebird convertible Lil Bandit?
"That smells like regular. She needs premium, dude. Premium! Dude!!!"[/QUOTE]

No drag strips in NC are open late. And from what I read on other forums, Charlotte doesn't even have a drag strip to go. I will look that up in a minute.