How do I improve torque?

Jeff Goos

Dec 20, 2003
San Diego
I L-O-V-E torque!

My question to the experts here is how do I do it? Here are my goals and conditions

1) I'm a daily driver, not a racer. My desire is to increase low end torque, at say 3000 RPM and below. I can give up HP above 3000 RPM since I don't go there much. A 20% improvement at 2000 RPM would be great.

2) It's got California emissions and must continue to pass smog tests.

3) I'm interested in learning what components improve the low end torque and what parts you would recommend to achieve it.

4) I'd prefer to keep the mods as simple as possible. I might need to undo them when I sell it for a 2006 GT.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

i second the UD pullies, and some 3.73's would be ideal, or 4.10's if you don't "fear the gear" and are willing to put up with the slight rise in freeway RPM (it still stays pretty low though). might also look into an aluminum driveshaft. other than that, you're gonna have to go with a supercharger, never a small investment.

A set of the mild Comp cams would work fine... since you're not a big drag racer the bigger grinds might not be for you. I think the 102100 cams would definitely help torque and power in the bands you'll drive the car in. They're a proven power mod, and nearly undetectable at emissions (esp with the smaller grinds). Definitely cheaper and easier than an SC kit.

1990StangLX said:
a Kenne Bell supercharger might help you...

It really depends on what you want out of your car, how much your willing to spend, and what your willing to do.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking about some of this without actually doing any of it. No S/C, No stroker, Not forged.

:stupid: A KB will get you full boost @ 2000 rpm, if your willing to go that way. With the KB you probably won't want anymore then 3.73's though. It would also be benificial to forge your bottom end though, and if your going to that your could go ahead and stroke it if you want, but it can get really expensive really fast. If you goint to stay N/A then I highly suggest 4.10's. They won't give you any more power, but it will increase the multiplier so it will pull harder and seem as if you were putting down more Hp and Tq. Don't "fear the gear", I love my 4.10's and drive 50 miles a day for work 5 to 6 days a week. I would have been really dissapointed with anything lower. I'm pretty sure that if you remove your silencer that you will lose a little grunt off the line, but gain a little HP on the higher side.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have defined my goals a bit more.

I'm wanting more low end torque, but don't want to give up my high speed highway efficiency. I make almost monthly runs to Las Vegas from San Diego and love cruising at over 100 MPH :). A 4.10 rear end would take my RPMs from the current 3000 to possibly near red line. Not desirable.

The long tube headers sound interesting. More details please.

What's the "spray" thing??

What about the intake system? Anything I can do there? I heard something about increasing the speed of the flow???

The big engine mods are probably out of consideration, just not undoable at sale time.