How do I test my cats

Iwant5.0

Jan 9, 2003
NC
The left side of my exhaust seems to blowing alot softer than the right side and ive smelt exhaust inside the car on some days. How do i test the cats to tell if they are blocked of not?

thanks
:flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

not sure if these are 100 percent sure, but ive heard of a lot of guys who check for clogged cats, they run their car until it gets to operating tempature, and with the car running pop the hood and see if your headers are glowing from extreme heat. You can also pound the cats with a rubber mallet, and try to hear anything rattling around in there. Other than that i can think of anything. Get an o/r pipe and forget about stupid cats. Well hopefully this helps

You can go buy a vacuum guage. In the instructions that come with it there should be a test for excessive back pressure in the exhaust. Its not a tell all test, but its another tool that can lead you in the right direction. PM me if you dont find the test with your new guage.

jerry beach said:
You can go buy a vacuum guage. In the instructions that come with it there should be a test for excessive back pressure in the exhaust. Its not a tell all test, but its another tool that can lead you in the right direction. PM me if you dont find the test with your new guage.

Right on target... :nice: