How do you tell a GTS...

• Sponsors (?)

What about the back bumper? Does it say GT? I came across a '95 5.0 that has NO options, no fog lights, dealer installed A/C, and AODE. But the back bumper says GT and it has a spoiler. What do you think, GT or GTS? Is there no way to tell by the VIN?

This is all very helpful information. I am still on the fence on what is the dead giveaway that it is a GTS or just an optioned down GT. Can you tell by the VIN? Is it coded as a GT or a standard model? Were all the options (power windows, fog lights, etc.) standard on the GT and the only way to not get them was to order a GTS? Like I said, I've come across a possible GTS and if it is the real thing, I might be interested in it. Thanks again for all the info!

Check the FAQ's on the top. It has production numbers on the GTS. I bet the car you are looking at is a GTS.

If the car doesn't have holes where the spoiler was, its pretty much 100% a GTS.

I have a GTS, and it has GT badges.

The GTS is substantially lighter than the GT. :nice: And some people have their GTS weighing less than a fox-body. Like right at 3000 lbs....

rio95 said:
thats not all true. I have a gts with a spoiler. You could get any options you wanted on them.

That would have been a dealer installed option, NOT factory. You could not get leather, fog lights, or anything else that was not available on the V6 cars for that year.

great subject!!! I have a buddy of mine that didn't know he had a rare mustang till i pointed it out to him two years ago, when he drove me in his GT with V6 seats and no options, a Cobra wing (more than likely aftermarket ordered, he didn't know, he bought it second hand), no fog lamps. It was in crappy shape, he was beating on it before he found out....now it's back to factory shape! :nice:

rio95 said:
thats not all true. I have a gts with a spoiler. You could get any options you wanted on them.

Rio, how do you know that your car is a GTS? I hate to keep beating this subject but when we're talking about "rare" cars, production numbers, and dollar values, there has to be some way to tell if you (or I for that matter) have one of the less than 7,000 GTS's made. If any of you have ever watched the Barret-Jackson Auctions or been involved in classic muscle cars, you know that, "mine's an original '71 Hemi-Cuda convertible because it has a hemi in it..." doesn't hold much water without some sort of documentation. Of course, back then they had the VIN, fender tag, and engine/trans stampings.

Ok, ok, I'm being a little extreme but I am just trying to make a point. I don't dispute that any of you have what you think that you have. I just want a little evidence before I buy one...

Thanks again, this has been a great thread!

Sleepy McNastee said:
:OT:

Hey Hillie, do you happen to know if that STB you have clears a TFS street intake?

Also, does it fit under the stock hood?

The STB I have goes in front of the intake, not over it, so it clears the hood fine, and should clear the TFS just fine.