How have you prepared your Mustang for a flat tire

How have you prepared your Mustang for a flat tire?

• I carry a spare tire

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I have a can of Fix-A-Flat

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I have a cell phone only

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • e of the above. I set the tire on fire and send up smoke signals

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
For all you fella's out there..
A coupe of days ago I was at my local AAA store I asked the lady that was helping with me insurence.
she said that you dont need to be a AAA member to have the plus card which gives you 3 free tows and 2gl of gas. all for like 9 bucks....

• Sponsors (?)

Cobain03 said:
my first flat happend in the high school parking lot. 2 cans of fix a flat got me to the nearest gas station wher ei pumped air into it. why do they make you pay 50 cents for air... thats stupid

You aren't paying for the air, your are renting the compressor. You are more than welcome to blow up the tire with your lips. That would be free.

:)

A67StangMaster said:
For all you fella's out there..
A coupe of days ago I was at my local AAA store I asked the lady that was helping with me insurence.
she said that you dont need to be a AAA member to have the plus card which gives you 3 free tows and 2gl of gas. all for like 9 bucks....

They told me that you didn't have to be insured through them, which I'm not, but you need to be a general member with the Plus card. (my membership costs ~$70/yr. which I gladly pay for piece of mind.)

Also, you can piggyback the tows. A friend of mine brokedown visiting me in Tahoe and got towed all the way back to the SF Bay area for free using all three of his tows :D

And if you're at the gas station just tell them that you just filled up. The air is free with a fill-up so they'll just turn it on for you unless they're smart, stingy jerks :D

As for my response... to prevent a flat in a Mustang I've taken the tried and true method of not having one :p

I have a full size spare, but all I have for a Jack is a small leaky bottle Jack. Hope I never have to use it.

Those thinking of a space saver spare and have a limited slip rear:

Make sure the spare is the same diameter of your rear tires. If you have a rear flat and you put too small of a diameter on one side it'll burn up your diff clutches.

You could swap a good front wheel on there if they are the same size but that's twice as much work at the worst time.

cell phone only, I tend not to drive too far from home. I have a jack and lug wrench at home, but no spare. Haven't had to use it yet. I once got a screw stuck in my tire so that it kept air from escaping, took it down to Les Schwab and they patched it up for free. Man was I happy!

got a spare and jack in the trunk. those looking for spares- get one out of a late model stang. if you have 13" brakes you need the spare from a cobra, which go for a lot of money usually. however i found one for $10 :)

YEah I am currently in the Cell Phone and insurance Road side assistance/towing plan of Flat repair. I have not driven it too much yet that I have been overly concerned. However As I am begining to drive it more I guess it would be a good Idea to prepare for the worst.

68keyblr said:
The donut from my Honda minivan is 5 on 4.5 just like the Mustang so I bring that along when needed.

If I don't bring the donut spare I always have my AAA card and cell phone :D

Do you have disc brakes in the front of the Mustang? Do the Honda donuts fit over the calipers?

I use a donut out of a 1990's big Ford, but it only fits over my drum brakes so If I get a flat in the front, I need to put the spare on the back & use the back wheel in the front. It would be a big PITA, but at least I have lots of room, in my miniscule trunk now.

I have a space saver spare from an early Ford Ranger pickup, same bolt pattern, jack, lug wrench and tire in a can. I have those Shelby wheels which require those barrel lug nuts, which aren't easy to start, so also have regular cone lug nuts for the spare.

I do have the AAA card, 100 mile tow and always carry a cell phone. Luckily I've only had one flat which a local tire store fixed by changing the bad valve stem and didn't charge me anything. :D

RGS0907 said:
Do you have disc brakes in the front of the Mustang? Do the Honda donuts fit over the calipers?

I use a donut out of a 1990's big Ford, but it only fits over my drum brakes so If I get a flat in the front, I need to put the spare on the back & use the back wheel in the front. It would be a big PITA, but at least I have lots of room, in my miniscule trunk now.

Yep, got 11" Granada discs in front and it fits fine :D