How often do you....

BLKNED

Jan 27, 2008
clean you air filter? With a CAI do you need to clean it more often? My gas milage has dropped off by two to three mpg on the highway and the only changes before the drop was the springs and control arms. The car was aligned and after about 3000 miles the tires look fine, I doubt a bad alingment would make that much difference anyway but I figured I'd throw it out there. The car has had about 14,000 miles put on it after the CAI but the filter looks good. Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Poor gas mileage

How many total miles are on the car and have you changed the fuel filter yet? I think I saw on here one time that it was suggested to change the fuel filter after 15K miles. When I read the manual, I didn't see it there, but I changed mine anyway and the fuel that came out of the filter was pretty dark. Anyway, another thought is to make sure you have the proper Rev/Mile listed on your tuner for the tires/tire size that you have. If this was changed, the computer could be calculating your mileage incorrectly.

Air filters work better when they are "dirty" than when they are spotless. Generally, it's not something that can have a set amount of miles since all of our cars see different environments. I'd be comfortable in saying that about 20-30 thousand miles would be a good time to clean or replace the air filter. Of course your car could need it before or not need it than.

Mine has 42k miles and I have yet to open the stock air box for the first time :(

It's time to get a cai and a new tune !! ;)

Air filters work better when they are "dirty" than when they are spotless. Generally, it's not something that can have a set amount of miles since all of our cars see different environments. I'd be comfortable in saying that about 20-30 thousand miles would be a good time to clean or replace the air filter. Of course your car could need it before or not need it than.

It's time to get a cai and a new tune !! ;)

Yes, I have read the same thing on articles where they did actual testing in labs. Of course it can get too dirty then go the other way.

Everything looks good but I did notice today that my speedo is off about 4mph at highway speed so that could be it, just looks like the mileage is worse. No biggie, I'll break out the tuner here soon and correct the speedo.

Why not? It's the same with any type of filter, especially an oil filter. Think about it ... Containments are caught in the filter and it causes more containments to group up instead of pass through.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "work." I could see that, but a dirty air filter doesn't flow as well as a clean one. I'm not too concerned if my air filter lets in the smallest of particles, the oil will clean that up.
Dan

How would having a dirty fuel filter hurt milage? It would put more strain on your fuel pump but I fail to see how having 58 psi instead of 60 psi in your fuel line would have much effect. Its almost never, ever ever the fuel filter that causes a problem. I would look at Maf, o2 sensors, anything else before that. But if you're not throwing a code i wouldn't sweat it too much. Winter gas and driving habits is my diagnosis

Fuel filter causes bad milage allll the time, because with the drop in fuel pressure the injector pulse width is widened to accomodate.

How long has this been going on? And where do you live? All of my vehicles have always lost about 2-3 MPG when they switch to the winter gas from the summer gas.

Fuel filter causes bad milage allll the time, because with the drop in fuel pressure the injector pulse width is widened to accomodate.

How long has this been going on? And where do you live? All of my vehicles have always lost about 2-3 MPG when they switch to the winter gas from the summer gas.

Probably the winter gas, always forget about that. Anyway, it got 26 even on the highway the other day so it's not too bad.