how to changew the thermo on a 94 cobra?

how to changew the thermo on a 94 cobra? any thing i should be aware of or is it just like any other thermo change? also im changing it because my car runs to hot and i think the thermo is bad. i bought a 192* should i get a 180* instead?

• Sponsors (?)

a 180 is fine but dont go lower or your car will stay in open loop all the time. Take off the upper hose, unbolt the 2 bolts on the housing and take it off and pull the old thermostat out. Peal off the old gasket make sure none is left on the housing or the intake. Place the new gasket on w/ the thermostat facing the correct direction (it will say which way is the correct way) Place the housing back on and bolt it up and re attach the upper hose and your done.

What do you consider hot? Putting in a 180* thermostat isn't going to make the car run any cooler. By the time the car is at 195*, the thermostat is going to be wide open, and flowing as much water as it can regardless of the thermo temp range. If you want to flow more water to the radiator, you have to get a Mr. Gasket high flow thermostat. Though I must warn you, once you switch to a high flow thermo, you're not going to have much for heat in the winter. The thermostat flows so much water to the radiator, hardly anything gets to the heater core.

Kurt