how to fix "droopy" rear

Mean88

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
I have seen alot of fox's with a droopy rear end. Mine sits low in the back, and high in the front as well. It looks stupid having 3" between the front tire and fender, and having 1" between the rear tire and fender. What are some cheap solutions to this problem? Can I cut the front springs? I am doing exhaust and rear end mods now, so I dont have much to play with as far as money goes. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought some lowering springs to fix that prob. My car sat the same way w/ the stock springs. I'm very happy w/ the MAC springs I put in it. Car handles great and the ride is definetly softer than the FMS spring I have on my 83'. Since money is tight not sure about the cutting idea. I guess it works as a temporary fix if you want to go through the trouble. Might not work as good as lowering spings but probably gets the job done.

My brother's coupe was like this.. had a big difference from the front to the rear. Definetly good for weight transfer, you could peg that thing (5spd) and it would just go with very little tire spin, with old worn tires.

I would't be chopping springs, maybe a used set of lowering springs would work?

You can put in air bags in the back springs, it should be really easy/cheap to do i'd think, that's what was on the 89 before it got hit, worked really good, you could pump up the psi and make the back end sit up a little and have all sorts of fun.... that's just what i'd do, unless you like the the weight transfer benifits....

-Bart

tmoss said - "I'm not "fixin" mine - I like the traction!"

:) Course, I like traction at the front end too when I ask it to turn. :)

There's lots of reasons for car ride heights to vary. Springs do sag over time. Many new shocks are gas filled and have some 'spring' to them, which can raise one end of the car when just the front or rear get replaced. The unibody structure itself can be tweaked, twisted or sag in different places over time - especially if there's been accident damage improperly repaired. I'd get the car up on a rack and be certain that there aren't any structural issues first. Check out the points where the suspension attaches to the car - shocks, and control arms. Be sure they're all solid with no problems in those areas. Same on the front. If the structure is ok, it's probably sagging springs that are the problem. If it were mine, I'd replace all 4 - not just a pair. If your shocks/struts have a lot of wear and tear on them, they likely need it too. Nothing works over a shock quite like dealing with a spring that's too stiff, or too weak.

I definitely wouldn't cut the front springs. That changes the spring rate, and will really throw things out of whack front to rear in terms of spring rate. It might look better balanced, but it could really be scary in terms of handling. Previous poster's air bag suggestion is probably the budget approach to solving it - but I'd suggest it's a temporary solution. Ultimately, you need to get the right springs on the car.

:stupid: Your rear shocks are worn out! your gas milage is suffering and no spring swap will fix this a set of kyb gas shocks solved my same problem! In additionyou never want to cut springs, dangerous and the ride will be even worse spend 100.00 for shocks and install and do it right!

Good luck!

Mean88 said:
I have seen alot of fox's with a droopy rear end. Mine sits low in the back, and high in the front as well. It looks stupid having 3" between the front tire and fender, and having 1" between the rear tire and fender. What are some cheap solutions to this problem? Can I cut the front springs? I am doing exhaust and rear end mods now, so I dont have much to play with as far as money goes. What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Ted
Take the 75lbs worth of stereo equipment out of your trunk! ;)

Had that problem. I put all new shocks on and put new Mac lowering springs on and it was still higher in the front. I ended up cutting a half a round off the new front springs and that fixed it. I have no problems with it, the car rides and handles great.