How to hook up Mark VIII fan

• Sponsors (?)

Ok after further inspection of the wires there are actually 3 on the fan, they are a blue one, black and another black one that becomes 2 brown ones with an orange stripe. Any idea what those are for? Remember its from a 96 model year Mark VII.

What if I wanted to do a quick install without the famous DCC controler for now, what would I need to get a the parts store? Relay what size and where to find it and what size fuse with the toggle switch? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want any melted wires or burned up fan.

Thanks

I'm not sure if I missed it on that link, but do be sure to fuse the load-side wiring. Definitely do NOT skimp on the relay. Get a Bosch 75 amper so you don't have to worry about melting down a lesser relay (it does happen - the contacts can't take the load).

You can bench test the fan motor with a fused battery source. All I can offer is SN95 two speed fan motor wiring - the bottom lead is high, middle is low and the top lead is ground. That's neither here nor there but might offer an example of how the contacts are laid out.

You might be able to get some info off of Monte Smith's website (it just indicated that it's down right now, or I'd check for you). He has an excellent Mark VIII fan install guide.

Good luck.

The Bosch 75 amp relay is actually pretty expensive - about 25 bucks last time I looked, and it had to be ordered online (add on shipping).

The thing with this set-up is that once you spend money on a relay, switch, etc, you're halfway to something like a DcControl unit or the FAL soft start controller*, and those are automatic, hands-off set-ups.

*I am not sure if the FAL controller can handle the current of a Mark VIII fan. The DC Control unit definitely can.

Anyhow, before I digressed, one more option for the relay would be to try and use a Bosch 50 amp relay - they are 6 bucks. Here's a link to FFI, whom sells both:

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=15

Were it me, and you might change how you control the fan, the 50 amp relay might be tempting to try. I have NOT used that particualar relay however. If you are going to keep using a relay system for the fan indefinitely, I'd get the 75 amper so you dont have to worry as much about it failing. The 75 amper is a nice HD relay with beefy contacts.

Good luck.

ok! Finally received and installed the DCC fan control today, it is a great piece to have for your electric fan. I dont know why I just could'nt wait and not mess with relays and toggle switches.:bang: Really just invest a little more money on the DCC unit and avoid burning fuses and wires. I will just have to wait for mid July or so to really test it in the 100+ degree heat. But for now :nice:

Excellent! I have been so super happy with Brian's controller in the desert SW myself (AZ). To us,cooling fans and fan control is like quality snow tires to folks up north - It's so nice to not have to worry about things. :nice:

Enjoy!