How to protect polished rims?

95tealGT

Jan 5, 2003
Altoona, PA
I just got some beautiful polished rims today. Cobra R's 17x9 front and 17x10.5. I can't wait to get some rubber on them and get them on.

Now what should I do to protect the polished finish. I have some friends with polished rims that are kind of faded now because they didnt care for them. What suggestions do you guys have?

• Sponsors (?)

Well i have polished bullits and they started to fade after about 3 months. I just got some mothers aluminum wheel polish and put some elbow grease on and they were just like new, still pretty shiny after 4 months, so i might have to do it again next month its easy and worth it.

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to drive them in the snow and salt, its my only car. I know not to use any acidic cleaner on them because I work at a detail shop.

I assume I put the elbow grease over the Mothers aluminum polish? I plan on cleaning them once a month to keep them looking good.

eeehhhhh......well, if you really want them to look nice and last long, it may sounds ridiculous but just try to drive as little as possible. and if you want to be really maticulous spray them off when you get home. :shrug:

95tealGT said:
I just got some beautiful polished rims today. Cobra R's 17x9 front and 17x10.5. I can't wait to get some rubber on them and get them on.

Now what should I do to protect the polished finish. I have some friends with polished rims that are kind of faded now because they didnt care for them. What suggestions do you guys have?
Wait til the winter is over and the weather gets nicer, you dont want your money to go to waste.

Did you get the AFSwheels? If so, they are already clear coated. Just clean them often...

If you are REALLY worried about them... keep your stock wheels and tires for the winter... just use the new wheels in the summer.

gcomfx.com said:
Did you get the AFSwheels? If so, they are already clear coated. Just clean them often...

If you are REALLY worried about them... keep your stock wheels and tires for the winter... just use the new wheels in the summer.

Yes they are AFS wheels, but the are not clear coated. AFS hasn't clear coated a set of polished rims this past year they told me. How much would getting it clear coated cost, and is there any difference between clear coating and clear powder coating, or I am stupid and they're just the same thing?

Paul, I checked out that zoopseal stuff, and it looks legit. Looks like a reasonable way of protecting them.

I think a buddy of mine used it on a set of 94-95 cobra wheels that he stripped and re-polished, I'll check with him and see if he has any feed back. I'm planning on using it when I get my new wheels.

The only reason I don't like clear coat is that around here they ALWAYS get rock chips in them, and then the clear starts to lift and flake off and it looks like CRAP. When that happens, you have to strip the wheel back down, repolish it, and do it again. If zoop does what they say, its well worth the money from the time it will save.