I have 4.10s but....

JTGrant

Aug 2, 2005
GA
I currently have FRPP 4.10s, but I was thinking of 4.30s. I looked at the RPM vs. Gears chart and there really isn't much of an RPM increase in overdrive. I wasn't sure if I should stay with the 4.10 or go with the 4.30s. Would the 4.30 be a better gear for quater mile times/speeds?

• Sponsors (?)

I just had 4.10's installed and I feel that I should have gone with 4.30's. The rpm difference between my 3.55's and 4.10's was about 500rpm in each gear. It's really not noticable and it actually makes 4th gear a usable gear. 4.30's baby:flag:

i thought you were selling? if thats the case, i would leave the 4.10s in the rear. 4.30s might scare off more potential buyers that dont understand how it actually affects the car. mods in general will affect the resale by limiting the number of potential buyers,but for some reason, people seem to fear the gear.

many with 4.10s wish they upgraded to 4.30s instead, but i dont hear many that installed 4.30s think 4.30 is too much gear.i think you would be happy with the 4.30s, but is it worth the extra cost? i know you would install yourself, so no labor charge.

The other thing to consider is if you decide to install some sort of power adder like a supercharger or nitrous. I have 4.10 gears and am having my stock 3.55 gears put back in this week actually. The reasoning for that is because after adding my supercharger, the RPMs jump up WAY too fast with 4.10. Plus, I'm now making as much power at lower RPMs as I did at the peak power band before the SC. Just something to keep in mind.. ;)

i thought you were selling? if thats the case, i would leave the 4.10s in the rear. 4.30s might scare off more potential buyers that dont understand how it actually affects the car. mods in general will affect the resale by limiting the number of potential buyers,but for some reason, people seem to fear the gear.

many with 4.10s wish they upgraded to 4.30s instead, but i dont hear many that installed 4.30s think 4.30 is too much gear.i think you would be happy with the 4.30s, but is it worth the extra cost? i know you would install yourself, so no labor charge.

No bigcat, I decided to keep the car. I'm still no sure about a supercharger. I plain on staying N/A, so I think that more gear would be great.

I ran 4.30's in my 03 Mach 1 MT and chose 4.10's for my 07 GT AT. 4.30's worked great in the Mach 1 as it redlined at 6,800 rpm's and had a .62 overdrive. The 07 GT redlines at 6,000 rpm's and only has a .71 overdrive, so I had to go with 4.10's to satisfy a couple basic requirements I put on my cars (80 mph cruising below 3,000 rpm's and a 4th gear that can go 120 mph through the traps in the 1/4 mile). For those with a 2005-8 GT and a manual trans, there is a better .68 overdrive, and you can always retune your redline to something higher to get more top end out of a steeper gear like 4.30's or 4.56's.

What is the difference between the Motive 4.30 and the FRPP 4.30s? I thought that the FRPP 4.30 were made by Motive. Are the FRPP made to a higher standard than the Motive gears?

not sure, but i have also heard the motive makes the 4.30s. seems as if nobody has problem with the FRPP 4.30s even if they are made by motive. i have heard stories of unsatsfied customers that bought the motive packaged brand though. also heard of a few good results as well.

Well looks like it is FRPP gears, just though it was weird that the Motive gears are more expensive at Summit. I wonder if it is a different type of motive gear? The set that Brenspeed sales is around 170.00. I was going to check out motive's website to see if they list more than one 4.30 at there brand name gear.

Well looks like it is FRPP gears, just though it was weird that the Motive gears are more expensive at Summit. I wonder if it is a different type of motive gear? The set that Brenspeed sales is around 170.00. I was going to check out motive's website to see if they list more than one 4.30 at there brand name gear.

distributes do often sell two different classes of motive gears. Americanmuscle does

I did notice that the FRPP 4.30 (Made by motive) has 39 ring gear teeth and 9 pinon teeth,the Motive High Performance Series has 43 Ring gear teeth and 10 pinoin teeth. I just wonder if all these cases of whining gears being blamed on Motive are from the installer and not from the Motive gears? There isn't any 4.30s that are made by Ford?

Coming from someone who HAD 4.30s and went back to 4.10s, there isn't that much difference. I didn't swap because of the gear ratio, although Im glad I did now since I will soon have a power adder. Rather, I swapped because the gears had a whine from the get go and the last month they were in it progressively got worse. At first I didn't mind since I had high flow cats and no mufflers, but once I added the resonators, it started getting annoying. Come to find out, 4 of the ring gear bolts that came with the 4.30s had sheared their heads off and the ring gear was loose!!! I put my 4.10As in and have be whine free since. On a different note, it took me 5 hours to get the carrier shimmed right with the 4.30s, with the 4.10s I used the factory shims that came on the car and voiala.

I would say unless you are staying NA AND are getting cams, stick with the 4.10s. OR you could get 4.56s (FORD Gears) and get a taller tire.

Well it looks like I will stay with the 4.10s. Thanks

Edit that:

I am still not sure on the 4.30s, are there any 4.30s that are good? Installation won't be a problem, I did however setup a set of 4.30s in an S197 Saleen from Motive. They were quite, but the car does have BBR heads and Cams so it is louder than my car.