I think I have a short.. How does it get fixed?

impulse001

Jan 16, 2008
New Jersey
So both my low beam headlights (which were purchased 4 weeks ago) blew.. The high beams still work though. Last night I saw a spark under the steering wheel, and now the turn signals dont work either.. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Was thinking about taking it to a mechanic.

• Sponsors (?)

I told you in your other thread its the MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH. Take the covers off around the steering column and dig in to find the loose melted wires....Follow the turn signal assy to where the big plug is at. If you go to a mechanic he will screw around looking for the issue and the New MFS is like 250.00 so listen to me before you go spend the money.
All the wires plug into it and they get hot from too much amperage and melt the plug down.
The mfs looks like this,
View attachment 324868

Your switch may not be bad. Usually its the big plug and the wires need fixed.

Your switch may not be bad. Usually its the big plug and the wires need fixed.

So I took it apart, and found this:

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

The metal inside the plastic was still fine, could this be whats causing it all, or should I just go to the junk yard and replace the whole piece?

You need to fix the plug. A bad connection can cause alot of issues.

Looking at the green wires they are hanging out of the plug.

Does it look like its been shorting out?

I would go to a junkyard and find a MFS and a good plug and solder the wires and insulate them.

Also the yellow and brown with pink wires. Is that factory tape or have they been fixed before?

While your at it. You need to do the fog light rewire mod. It removes the fog lights from that circuit and puts them on a relay. The nice thing is you can turn the foglights on with out the headlights.

heres the link its real easy and it lightens the amperage load on the MFS.
http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html

You need to fix the plug. A bad connection can cause alot of issues.

Does it look like its been shorting out?

I would go to a junkyard and find a MFS and a good plug and solder the wires and insulate them.

Also the yellow and brown with pink wires. Is that factory tape or have they been fixed before?

Cool, thanks alot man..

It looks fine to me.. The tape does not look factory, im gonna go pull it and see how it was connected.. So I should get a new MFS and plug from the junk yard, where do I get the wires from? and do I replace the wires completely or just cut them at some point?

Cool, thanks alot man..

It looks fine to me.. The tape does not look factory, im gonna go pull it and see how it was connected.. So I should get a new MFS and plug from the junk yard, where do I get the wires from? and do I replace the wires completely or just cut them at some point?

If you go to a yard you may as well find a good plug and while there get the mfs if anything as a spare to use and test with. They are cheap at the yard and expensive to buy new last time I checked.

Just cut the plug and wires off the JY car long enough to work with and rewire back into your car.

So I went to the junk yard, bought a new MFC for $50 and took the clips for it too.. I replaced the broken clips, the wires were all fine so I kept those the same.. Put in the new MFC, and put in the fuse that kept blowing. The lights were fine, the fogs were fine, left turn signal turned on.. Then the fuse blew. Went to put another fuse in, right away it sparked.. Anymore ideas?