I thought our stangs had T-lock

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
So I was in a parking lot that is about 25yards long where I park my car across the street from my house. And to leave you come up to a stop sign and then turn onto the road. So I pull out of my parking space, reverse it, and rev her up to about 4-5k and dropp the clutch to do a burn out and roll me foward about 15ft up to the stop sign. Well I was on my way to do some quick errands and shortly thereafter, i return back to the parking lot to park and go into my house.

...well....I park and get out of my car and notice *1* burnout mark for about 10-15ft long up to the stop sign.

:shrug: :scratch: :confused: :nonono:

I thought our cars were "posi" or had T-lock from the factory??? From the story above, SHOULDN'T the other tire have kicked in and burnt out ALSO up to the stop sign...leaving *2* burnout marks? :scratch:

I BELIEVE I HAD TRACTION CONTROL OFF ...before you all ask =) But im not 100% sure, i just did my "routine" when i got in my car and part of that routine is turning off traction control. But i can't 100% tell you that i MADE SURE it was off before i did the burnout.

So can someone help me out here? Why isn't there 2 marks? Do the stangs NOT come with a t-lock or posi??? Or what...? :shrug:

Edit: For clarification, the burnout mark that was made was from the PASSENGER side (rear tire of course)

• Sponsors (?)

same, i leave two black marks. if traction control was on I think you would have noticed the green light of doom!! oh and the fact that your car would've sounded like ass if it kicked in lol

Yea, your car comes from the factory with a T loc. Its just warn out. As far as TC, it has nothing to do with that. All it does is pull timing and or fuel, and applys breaks to the rear wheels. Shoot, when stock I was giving my dad a ride, and went through 2nd and shifted hard into 3rd and the TC came on and you could actually feel it apply breaks as it momentarily SLAMMED us forward in our seats to stop the light wheel spin LOL. I belive that was the other silver GT that I test drove first....that dealer tried to screw us over, so i went else where and got this silver GT. Identacle, but with less miles. ANYWAYS, buy an auborn or eaton posi with some 3.73s or 4.10s while your back there. All you have to do is pull the old carrier out (the new eaton or auborn actually replaces the ENTIRE thing), put your new gears on your new carrier before hand...then slide it into the pumkin and check your clearances....you need to know what your doing for the last step.

when it was cold and with my stock gaterbacks my car would lose traction past 4k on the road :( kinda scary i guess. when i had friends with me and they wanted me to get on it i'd get in a pretty clear spot and do it, and just go around sideways :)

Your freegin crazy. :p LOL. But thats coming from a guy that dropped 3rd at 60-65 in the rain, and it jumped sideways...another time in the rain running from 2nd (kinda streatching the gear) , jammed 3rd and it came sideways at around 50ish, was about at a 30-35* angle. Let go of the wheel and let off the gas...it straightened back up...but it did slam me pretty good sideways because of how violently it corrected. THAT WAS SCARY!

well my car's warranty just expired 2 months ago, and my car has 38k miles on it. I drive my car mildly-aggressive. Meaning its my DD so i'm no road warrior. And I hardly EVER race anyone. I've been in LITEREALLY like 2 races on the highway. (no on wants to race me for some reason) :shrug: But I do drive fast on the roads and highway. But that wouldn't affect the T-lock. This is ACTUALLY the 1st burnout i've ever done in this car. I NEVER smoke the tires in my stangs...hardly ever. But this one time i felt like practicing for the track and lighten em up rolling to the line :nice:

Also, how much is an Eaton T-lock? Im thinking *IF* i were to get an Eaton T-lock, i should get a 31spline one, and up grade the rear and get some 3.73s. BUT i dont have the money for even gears, let alone all that other crap.

So i WOULD go with an eaton and 3.73, but i fear that axels might go (with my luck) and then i'd need to upgradethem anyway! So im stuck on deciding what to do then... :scratch:

How much is a 28 spline eaton and how much for a 31 spline with 31spline axels?

I'm going to do this burnout agian tomorrow both standing still and then rolling foward again. I'm a little mad that my t-lock isn't working correctly :mad: Thats def going to hurt my traction for the track this summer...

christiesledd said:
$369 for eaton posi
$245 strange 31 spline axles

Plus $180 for 3.73 FRPP gears + $200 install on the gears.

Thats what? $994 + Labor for the other parts...

:nonono: I wont drop that kind of money into the stang and have no hp upgrades. Well crap, guess im up the creek here. Maybe i'll just go with the 3.73s and an Eaton Tlock/posi. Even THAT is too much money for me, but at least it would be the cheapest route to fixing my problem...

won't give you any hp gains but sure as hell will make your et look nice!! :nice:

im going the same route.. eaton posi, 31 spline axles, and 4.10 gears. gears are going in first and the rest will go in at a later date though :(

christiesledd said:
won't give you any hp gains but sure as hell will make your et look nice!! :nice:

im going the same route.. eaton posi, 31 spline axles, and 4.10 gears. gears are going in first and the rest will go in at a later date though :(

Hey, good for you. I have installed everything myself on my car, but i dont think i want to touch the rear-end myself. So unforunatly I can't save myself money here, like i did everything else. I also have a $700 Credit Card bill that i have to pay off, and i'm in between jobs right now and makin some real low pay of like $250 a week until i go back to my main summer job roofing making like $600 a week. So I dont have this kind of money to throw around :(

i hear ya, thank god i still live at home lol. me and my dad usually do everything to my car, but he's bringing in one of his old dragging buddies to help with the rear end. its good to know people that know people!

How much would it cost to just rebuilt the stock t-lock? I know a ford tech who works for an SVT Dealer, so maybe i can get him to help me out.

What would the cost be?
Can I have him make it stronger than it originally was??

dude remember if this is your opportunity to upgrade a factory part, do it. dont let the oooo i dont have the hp line hold you back. tlock's can break on even stock stangs without any mods. (food for thought)
go for the 31axel splines those are sweet to have.

the only thing that should ever hold you back is your wallet not the lack of hp