Idle Comes Down With Clutch Pedal Depressed???

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by erniet17, Dec 30, 2013.

1. erniet17

erniet17 Member

Is it normal for the idle to come down about 150 RPMs when depressing the clutch and the tranny in neutral?

Thanks in advance!
  2. mikestang63

mikestang63 Mustang Master

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Nope . Run the codes. Most likley your IAC, TPS or MAF
  3. Dave2000GT

Dave2000GT Active Member

That is perfectly normal when your neutral gear switch is broken.
    Try to run the codes, and I bet you can't get the engine running codes unless you hold in the clutch the entire time. You can replace it.. or just do what I did and short the wires going to it, tricks it into thinking it's always in neutral and fixes the idle issue. Haven't had any adverse effects yet...
  4. erniet17

erniet17 Member

I did replace the clutch switch with a parts store one a few months ago. I have a brand new Motorcraft TPS that I still need to install but the weather has been terrible.

I believe you have to keep the clutch down during the KOER test??? Although I have bypassed it in the past but I'm trying to get everything to work a it should.
  5. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

Run the codes. That should give you a hint as to the issue. Right now, we are just guessing.

It is possible to run the codes without holding the clutch down. However, you should hold it down to eliminate the code 67.
  6. erniet17

erniet17 Member

Ok, didn't mean to disappear but my car was without a fuel pump for a month. It's now back up and running. I replaced the TPS with a new OEM one and the idle still drops when I press the clutch.