If the balancer ring spins...would the engine vibrate?

crazypete

All my crevices are greased.
Oct 22, 2004
Arlington, MA
I'm trying to figure out why it seems that my car needs 24-30 degrees initial timing to run properly but backfires and barely stumbles along at 10.

Thinking I could have spun my balancer based on some searches on the subject.

Wouldnt a spun balancer shake like crazy because of the counterweight?

• Sponsors (?)

Actually....I did the timing chain back last october with a steel double roller and both gears (dont remember the brand but it looked really nicely machined) when I did the FTI cam and the afr 165's. But.....

The timing seemed ok then. 10 deg pretty much seemed like 10 deg and 24 was causing some pinging. So it seemed ok.

I have not touched the timing til this past weekend.

The only reason I suspent this at all is because of the amount of timing I need to make this run right.

It's smooth as glass when the mixture is set right.

I just did the "blow the rag out" trick to find the compression stroke, stuck a screwdriver down the plug hole and turned the engine "by hand", felt the rough position of TDC and it corresponds almost exactly with the tdc mark...

Back to the drawing board.

crazypete said:
I just did the "blow the rag out" trick to find the compression stroke, stuck a screwdriver down the plug hole and turned the engine "by hand", felt the rough position of TDC and it corresponds almost exactly with the tdc mark...

Back to the drawing board.
so, i guess that means its not your balancer. i'm having the same problem. currently running 24*. i think mine might actually be the balancer, because the balancer seems a bit wobbly. maybe your problem is the stator or the hall effect sensor in the distributer? you're checking timing with the SPOUT removed, right? depending on who you ask, the distributor being off a tooth may, or may not, effect EFI cars.:shrug: