Ignition timing advance

87'GTstang

Feb 16, 2004
I cannot find out what the problem is but what does the ECU use as input to know when to advance the timing in these cars. Reason I ask is because I have base timing at 12 degrees on the engine and 22 with the SPOUT connected, but I get NO advance with response to engine rpm (maybe +/- 2 degree at most.
If I am not mistake, I should get nearly 32-36 degress of total advance.........what gives?

*engine has stock ignition replacement components.

• Sponsors (?)

The TFI is largely responsible for helping the computer with advance. Make sure the SPOUT circuit is not disrupted first (dump codes and check the circuit with your meter).

Good luck.

I wouldn't think the SPOUT circuit could be disrupted. With it plugged back in, the timing advances to where it should be, at idle at least, it just doesn't do anything with response to RPM. Anything else responsible in the entire system for the timing advance?

MAF, TPS, RPM, ECT, & ACT all contribute data to change ignition timing.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.