I'm giving up

• Sponsors (?)

At one point in time I saw a page that had revision history of the Ford power steering pump up to about the mid 90s. I should have bookmarked it. Why not use a 5.0 pump as suguested earlier ? When I had power steering on my car thats what I used.

Besides geting it mounted, the only thing you would need to do is switch the pully to a v-belt and buy a brass adaptor for the pressure line. The return line is the same size as a stock one. The adaptor you need is a male/male adaptor, its a simple brass fiting and should be available at any hardware store. After screwing it into the female recepticle in the pump, you should be able to hook your stock power steering hose right up to the pump. You might need to bend the hard line on the power steering hose, its a bit difficult because its a thicker diameter then say brake line, I think I used a vice to un-bend the one I did.

I never had that pump leak on me after I replaced the o-ring on the fill cap.

64 - 70 POWER STEERING CONVERSION KIT! Discounts Apply !
FOR A LIMITED TIME FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $500.00 (truck shipping not included, lower 48 States only).

1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 Mustang Power Steering Conversion Kit! Finally! We have been waiting for this for years! This quick ratio steering box replaces the leaking control valves and hard to find rams! The steering box is nearly the same size as the current one and allows the use of the steering components you already have. Includes the Power steering box, pitman arm, rag joint, pressure and return hoses, hardware, center link adapter and mounting bracket.

found this at superior mustang Mustang Parts Ford: 64 - 70 POWER STEERING CONVERSION KIT!,Mustang Steering Parts,powersteeringconversion here is a link but I want to do this but way cheaper any ideas on what gear box they are useing?

FOR A LIMITED TIME FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $500.00 (truck shipping not included, lower 48 States only).

1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 Mustang Power Steering Conversion Kit! Finally! We have been waiting for this for years! This quick ratio steering box replaces the leaking control valves and hard to find rams! The steering box is nearly the same size as the current one and allows the use of the steering components you already have. Includes the Power steering box, pitman arm, rag joint, pressure and return hoses, hardware, center link adapter and mounting bracket.

found this at superior mustang Mustang Parts Ford: 64 - 70 POWER STEERING CONVERSION KIT!,Mustang Steering Parts,powersteeringconversion here is a link but I want to do this but way cheaper any ideas on what gear box they are useing?

Hmmm, that kit has everything I don't need and is missing the part I actually need... a pump.

I don't get why anyone would go with this kit. The factory gear box, and other components seem to be quite good, and not that hard to find. My only complaint is with the factory pump.

I sent my control valve, steering box, etc to a guy in Texas for rebuilt. For $250 my stuff was rebuilt so nicely that you'd swear they were new parts. Totally took all of the slop out of my steering. Way cheaper than $1300.

I think this box is an integrated power box. You get power steering but you don't have to deal with the control valve and ram. Its all in the box. One hose in, one hose out and you got power steering.

exactly. there are actually quite a few defincies in the stock mustang power steering system that this box has the potential to correct.

1: stock system is notoriously leaky and no matter how well the system is sealed right now it will eventually leak, there are just too many places for fluid to find a way out and eventually it will find one.

2: vagueness, expecially "on-center" this results from the steering input having to travel from the gear box, through the control valve and power ram before making it to the wheels.

3: lack of feedback, numbness and overboosted assist, this is mostly from the stock pump but the control valve and power ram also effect this too, this is not the same as number 2; vagueness, this is totally different.

4: weight, this is less of an issue but all those extra components do add quite a bit of extra weight that the integrated power box does not.

5: maintenance and servicing; the integrated box has less components to wear out and does not need as much maintenance, like greasing or adjustments, as the stock system. there are less parts to the integrated power box to track down, unless you happen to break the pitman arm so obtaining parts for repairing the system should easier, certainly it will not be any more difficult than getting parts for the stock system.

6: lastly is ground and header clearance, especially on a lowered car. the stock system hangs down pretty low and the integrated box will get rid of the power ram and control valve, gaining both ground clearance and header clearance and you also won't need that crappy steering drop bracket anymore to be able to run long tube or tri-y headers.

All that said, I think 1300 is a bit pricey. I think I'll give CPP a call and ask about their progress on thier box.

yeah, i would love to know when their box will be released and how much it will sell for, i can almost guarantee that it wil be less than 1200 bucks. let us (especially me) know what they say. i've noticed lately that they are starting to carry more and more mustang parts, which i think is really great since i'm sure it will give them more incentive to keep coming up with cool suff like their front suspension and an integrated steering box.

Hi everyone! I usually post at the 5.0 forums, but I saw this link and had to warn you. DO NOT buy from Superior Mustang Parts. I bought some stuff a while ago and never had a single response, and I sure sent them a lot of e-mails. Actually surfing through Yahoo! there are a bunch of people within the same situation.

Update:

I decided to go with a PS pump from a mid 80's Ford fullsize (pickup, bronco, van, etc).

Turns out that it's almost a direct bolt in. I needed to get a custom hose made at a local shop ($60). The only other mod is that the slot for the bolt that controls the pivot/belt tension is off by about 1/4". Will be easy to modiy. Otherwise, it's a perfect fit. Belt alignment, pully, bracketry, return hose, etc.

The fullsize guys are swapping these pumps out, but only because they want to run big mudder tires.

Update:

I decided to go with a PS pump from a mid 80's Ford fullsize (pickup, bronco, van, etc).

Turns out that it's almost a direct bolt in. I needed to get a custom hose made at a local shop ($60). The only other mod is that the slot for the bolt that controls the pivot/belt tension is off by about 1/4". Will be easy to modiy. Otherwise, it's a perfect fit. Belt alignment, pully, bracketry, return hose, etc.

The fullsize guys are swapping these pumps out, but only because they want to run big mudder tires.

got any pics of the final install?

Thats a Saginaw pump correct ?

No.. not sure what style it's called. The Saginaw pump would be the best choice, but a much more difficult swap because of the braketry. Also, all of the saginaw pumps I found in the junkyard used a serpantine style pully with a shaft diameter that's different from the V-belt pully. You could probably buy an adapter pully, but I'm trying to keep the cost down.