Improving brakes

Your driving style and budget

Are two important considerations. Only YOU know these and you should choose accordingly.

My car (which see) is driven conservatively and the DRUM brakes suit me fine. With normal maintenace, I've never been concerned about them. For agressive driving, discs are clearly superior for the reason stated. Contrary to popular opinion here, discs gained acceptance by manufactures because they a less EXPENSIVE to produce than drums. Fewer parts, easier to assemble, less maintenance, etc. (I may get roasted for that but I can show you literature to prove the point.)

Any bake repair or replacement should be done with utmost consideration to SAFETY. Piecing together a conversion from used may be done but, if you are inexperienced, you be better off with a retro-fit conversion from one of the vendors. Too many times, there is a disconnect that enters the equation and brake work is done for "bragging rights" rather than greater safety.

You be the judge.

• Sponsors (?)

brakes

Me and my dad sell granada brakes. We sand blast and clean them up. They sell for 200 and come with the hardware to mount (pin, bolt etc.) and backing plates. We give you a complete list of parts that you need to complete it that you can buy at Advanced auto parts. Email us if you interested, we sell them on ebay all the time.

Hack said:
The drum brakes on your car will always fade. They fade due to heat build up, which will not change with a booster.

Another disadvantage of drums is that they have a tendency to lock up when applied rapidly as in for an emergency stop. Discs are much easier to modulate.

Granada front discs are a change I would highly recommend. I just added them to my car last spring. The car stops much better. You should know that it's not enough for me. I want to upgrade to a more modern caliper. Granada discs can be upgraded to the PBR caliper that is original equipment on '99 - '04 Mustang V6 and GT models. I expect this will be an even bigger improvement. If you search this forum for "PBR caliper" you will find links to instructions and drawings for the brackets for this upgrade.

There are also kits available aftermarket, but I like to recommend the cheapest way to go after projects.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I will do more research on Granada front discs brakes.

DarkBuddha said:
I didn't have time before, but just to get back to original question for a moment:

A front disc brake conversion is probably the best thing to start with to improve braking, in addition to converting to a dual resevoir master cylinder (which you'll need if you switch to discs anyway). Sure you can spend dones a bunch of cash on Wilwood, SSBC, or Baer, which is great if you've got the cash.

If you don't have a bunch, you might be tempted to try to go cheap with a used Granada swap. Notice the words in bold type... try and used... lots of folks have done the Granada swap with good success, but after hearing about many of the conversions, I don't think they're all that cheap after you buy all the used parts and rebuild the calipers, hone the rotors (or get new ones), new hoses, etc. Instead, consider a less expensive all new component kit from R&C Motorsports for $350: http://www.rcmotorsports.net/page13.html . I only know these guys by reputation, but they're supposed be good.

Anyway, beyond the front disc upgrade and a new dual well master cylinder, you'll probably want to add a power brake booster, an adjustable proportioning valve, good pads, sticky tires, and a good balanced suspension. I talked about some of this stuff in another thread recently. You might check it out: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=513418&highlight=brakes

Hope this helps... :shrug:
Thanks for the info. I will check out the kit from R&C Motorsports and also your other thread.

Hack said:
The drum brakes on your car will always fade. They fade due to heat build up, which will not change with a booster.

Another disadvantage of drums is that they have a tendency to lock up when applied rapidly as in for an emergency stop. Discs are much easier to modulate.

Granada front discs are a change I would highly recommend. I just added them to my car last spring. The car stops much better. You should know that it's not enough for me. I want to upgrade to a more modern caliper. Granada discs can be upgraded to the PBR caliper that is original equipment on '99 - '04 Mustang V6 and GT models. I expect this will be an even bigger improvement. If you search this forum for "PBR caliper" you will find links to instructions and drawings for the brackets for this upgrade.

There are also kits available aftermarket, but I like to recommend the cheapest way to go after projects.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice.

Pbum5 said:
Does that kit include a Master Cylinder? I see all the kits SSBC, MP, show the MC but the picture of the Baer Kits never show one.. Is that extra? or just not pictured?

I asked the Baer guy if I'd need a new one and he said no... :shrug: So I'm assuming that the kit does not come with one.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/

You'll find really accurate and detailed info about the Granada brake swap here. There is a list of cars for donors, also you should know that the parts are very cheap at the local auto parts store. For instance, a Granada dual master cylinder costs less than $20. The core is maybe $2, so the MC and same goes for the rotors - it's not worth trying to salvage junk yard pieces for some of this stuff. Unless you get a really cheap price and the parts are in great condition.

You will have to replace your brake lines, but it's not that difficult to do. I was surprised at how easy bending lines is. I just purchased pre-flared lines from the auto parts store and bent them to fit.

Also, you'll have to change the location where the Granada flex lines mate up to your hard lines. The flex lines won't reach the original line locations. Since you need new lines at the MC side, this isn't a big deal. Just mock it up ahead of time and figure out where the end of the hard lines should be. On my car, I left the new lines at about the same locations as the old ones, but the threaded ends face the opposite direction from the originals.

I hope this helps.

Hack said:
http://www.mustangsteve.com/

You'll find really accurate and detailed info about the Granada brake swap here. There is a list of cars for donors, also you should know that the parts are very cheap at the local auto parts store. For instance, a Granada dual master cylinder costs less than $20. The core is maybe $2, so the MC and same goes for the rotors - it's not worth trying to salvage junk yard pieces for some of this stuff. Unless you get a really cheap price and the parts are in great condition.e threaded ends face the opposite direction from the originals.

I hope this helps.

Is there a website out there that list all the part #'s needed. I am curious what it would cost to buy all NEW parts from the local parts shop to do the Granada Brake swap. Anyone do that?

a lot of people seem to go toward the granada route, but im curious about the stock disc setup? is there anything wrong with the original kelsey hayes 4-piston setup with 11" rotors? i dont hear of many people using a stock setup

ill agree that the 13"s are probably more powerful and better for racing, but im not looking for a racing setup... just a good weekend cruiser setup to stop well