Installed a Hurst shifter, and have a question

UrbanRedneck

Mar 27, 2008
First just let me say that I am not looking for opinion on who prefers what or what people think of the Hurst shifter, I don't want to start any arguments or get Anthony riled up. I have made my choice and this is the shifter I want.

Ok, so I put in my Hurst shifter. Install was simple and took very little time. Only thing resembling an issue is that removing the front support bolt I scratched the trans tunnel, so I rubbed some anti-seaze on it to protect the area untill I can get under there and paint the scratch to prevent rust, no big deal.

I LOVE the look. The old shifter looked like it belonged in a VW, this looks like it should be in a Mustang. And the slightly taller handle makes it a lot more comfortable, especially with a cup in the cut holder.

This thing redefines short throw shifter, a simple wrist movement is all it takes from 1-2 and 2-3. It looks like it's in neutral no matter what gear your in, I like that.

Now the question. It seems like it takes a pretty good amount of effort to actually shift. When you are stopped it rows through the gears practically on it's own, but if I am actually driving, going fromg ear to gear takes a pretty good pull or push to get the shifter to move. I'm not complaining, as I knew it would be rough and notchy due to the extra-short throw, and I like the notchyness, I jsut want to know that it is NORMAL, so that I know I did not do something wrong. I figure I just have to get used to it, before I can shift quickly with it, and once I'm used to it it should be fine, but like I said I just wanna know that it is normal, so should it be considerably harder to get from gear to gear than the stock shifter?

Other than that, I am really happy with it. I love the look, the height, and I really like the notchy, positive feel and the way it almost automattically goes from 2-3 when you push it up. The uber-short throw is pretty cool too. Once I get used to the harder movement so that I can shift as fast as before, it will be perfect. I give this shifter a thumbs up!

One more question: Does the trans in our cars have any kind of shifter movement stops to prevent bending forks? I always wonder this when I am shifting hard.

• Sponsors (?)

I wonder how exactly it breaks in, since it is basically just a giant heim joint with a lever in it. The notchyness comes from the trans itself.

Either way, so I did not do anything wrong, it is supposed to be harder to shift? That's good to know, so now I like it haha.

It's really good to know the trans has stops built in. I was concerned because of the extra force needed to shift it I don't want to bend a shift fork or anything when I have to give it a good tug. I'm sure I'll get used to the extra force, now that I know it is supposed to be like that, and all and all I am very happy with the shifter.

I really like mine. It is a lot better than the stock shifter. I also installed one for a V6 however, it seems to be a bit different since the transmission is different between the V8 and the V6.
Also, remember to put silicone grease in the fittings or else it may be tighter to shift and may squeak after a while.

First just let me say that I am not looking for opinion on who prefers what or what people think of the Hurst shifter, I don't want to start any arguments or get Anthony riled up. I have made my choice and this is the shifter I want.

Ok, so I put in my Hurst shifter. Install was simple and took very little time. Only thing resembling an issue is that removing the front support bolt I scratched the trans tunnel, so I rubbed some anti-seaze on it to protect the area untill I can get under there and paint the scratch to prevent rust, no big deal.

I LOVE the look. The old shifter looked like it belonged in a VW, this looks like it should be in a Mustang. And the slightly taller handle makes it a lot more comfortable, especially with a cup in the cut holder.

This thing redefines short throw shifter, a simple wrist movement is all it takes from 1-2 and 2-3. It looks like it's in neutral no matter what gear your in, I like that.

Now the question. It seems like it takes a pretty good amount of effort to actually shift. When you are stopped it rows through the gears practically on it's own, but if I am actually driving, going fromg ear to gear takes a pretty good pull or push to get the shifter to move. I'm not complaining, as I knew it would be rough and notchy due to the extra-short throw, and I like the notchyness, I jsut want to know that it is NORMAL, so that I know I did not do something wrong. I figure I just have to get used to it, before I can shift quickly with it, and once I'm used to it it should be fine, but like I said I just wanna know that it is normal, so should it be considerably harder to get from gear to gear than the stock shifter?

Other than that, I am really happy with it. I love the look, the height, and I really like the notchy, positive feel and the way it almost automattically goes from 2-3 when you push it up. The uber-short throw is pretty cool too. Once I get used to the harder movement so that I can shift as fast as before, it will be perfect. I give this shifter a thumbs up!

One more question: Does the trans in our cars have any kind of shifter movement stops to prevent bending forks? I always wonder this when I am shifting hard.

I lubed to heim joint as well as all the bushings before I installed mine. It shifts smooth, but still knotchy. I have no problem changing gears including down shifting.

Try lubing the heim joint, I used assembly lube.

Well it's awesome that you love the shifter :). But really any aftermarket shifter is going to be better than stock. Stock... well lets just say ford should be embarrassed of that load they put in there. Hopefully you won't have to change the shifter cause I had a Triax in my 05, once I put my procharger on the car I couldn't get the damn thing to shift into gear under hard acceleration but without the blower it was smooth sailing.

I don't think this car will ever have enough power to have problems. It's not a race car, that's what the Dodge in my sig is for lol.

I think I'm getting used to it pretty quick. On the way home from work today I had a situation where I had to shift fast, and hardly even noticed there was any extra effort needed..

Well it's awesome that you love the shifter :). But really any aftermarket shifter is going to be better than stock. Stock... well lets just say ford should be embarrassed of that load they put in there. Hopefully you won't have to change the shifter cause I had a Triax in my 05, once I put my procharger on the car I couldn't get the damn thing to shift into gear under hard acceleration but without the blower it was smooth sailing.

That's due to the remote location of the shifter. The MGW design helps, but doesn't completely alleviate the problem. The best solution is the CHE K member brace with engine torque limiters. We're running that on both cars with the Hurst and can shift at 6800 with not trouble.

I had the same problem after the addition of the MGW. I couldn't get third on hard acceleration and power shifting. I thought it was me. I realized it was the motor/transmission deflecting that much under a load. I bought the CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters for ~$100 and the problem has been long gone, feels much more solid.

Well I have 430 RWHP and I never miss a gear shifting @ 6,800-7,000 speed shifting, so I would say the MGW does a great job. When I installed that thing I couldn't believe the amazing design, And since the MGW alows movement it makes the speed shifting possible with that power. It's the perfect solution to the remote mounted shifter But I did notice if you did try to hit 3rd you wouldn't hit it, you would just have to throw it forward. And as for you having trouble throwing it in third, I believe there is a way to adjust the centering spring to make it shift into 3rd smoother.

For those of you that power shift at 6,000+ RPM, since your right foot is on the floor when you put in the clutch, how do you avoid over-revving the engine? I know there's a fuel cut-off on the stock GT (around 6,250 I believe), I've hit that once or twice.

Just wondering.

For those of you that power shift at 6,000+ RPM, since your right foot is on the floor when you put in the clutch, how do you avoid over-revving the engine? I know there's a fuel cut-off on the stock GT (around 6,250 I believe), I've hit that once or twice.

Just wondering.

Fast shifting. If you shift fast enough, the RPMs only climb a few hundred. I shift at between 6200 and 6500 and never hit the limiter. If you hit the limiter shifting at 6k, you're not shifting fast enough. Grab it and rip. That's why I love the Hurst.

I love the picture in your sig. That's a fantastic picture. But please resize it. Here's the current signature size image limits:
650 pixels wide, 125 pixels high for off-site hosted images

I love the picture in your sig. That's a fantastic picture. But please resize it. Here's the current signature size image limits:
650 pixels wide, 125 pixels high for off-site hosted images

Sorry about the size. I didn't know.

Glad you like the photo. I took this past Memorial Day weekend. It's actually at the Holly National Memorial Cemetery in Michigan. My dad resides there. I was walking around looking at a lake across the driveway when I looked back at the car. I had my camera with me, so I took the shot. If you look in the bottom right of the photo, those white blobs....are headstones. Kinda creepy, but you'd never know unless I told you. Which I just did. :rolleyes:

A few more images of my car and cars in general are on my website:

thombriggs.com