is it really this slow?

That fuel pressure's definitely wayyy low. Try changing the filter. If that doesn't work, I'd look into getting the pump replaced. I think low fuel pressure could be caused by FPR needing replacement too, possibly? As for swapping to a 4.6, I think you're better off getting your current motor running right. It'll run really well after this issue's worked out.

• Sponsors (?)

The transmission is having its own problems. I know swapping trans wont fix the fuel problem. The transmission has trouble downshifting when I slow down and makes a loud clunk noise when it goes into o/d. Also the trans makes the car shake when coming up to a stop. I feel like i got in over my head but the car is still more fun to drive than the ricer I traded to get it:D

The transmission is having its own problems. I know swapping trans wont fix the fuel problem. The transmission has trouble downshifting when I slow down and makes a loud clunk noise when it goes into o/d. Also the trans makes the car shake when coming up to a stop. I feel like i got in over my head but the car is still more fun to drive than the ricer I traded to get it:D

So then try a new shifter! No way I would put a new trans in if I didn't know if the shifter was working right!

If it was my car, I would change the shifter for a couple hundred bucks before I spent big money on another trans. That may just fix it! Make sure the T.V. cable is adjusted correctly also, it will make it shift/downshift funny if it's not just right. If that doesn't help, then I would end up going with another trans after that (a 5 speed if it were mine).

FIRST of all I would change the fuel filter though, as previously mentioned.

I did mean $1000...

Yes the fuel issue should be taken care of, but if there really is a transmission issue, that needs to be figured out as well. I would think something better than a stock AOD would be needed with a motor like you have. Get something built for it!

So I went and drove it again and noticed that it does feel like it is taking off in second. It barely spun the tires and slowly got up to 3k rpm's and then took off. On the way home was going maybe 20mph(not sure cause speedo is messed up) floored it and the car downshifted twice and threw me back in the seat all the way to 6k, shifted and never lost power until I let off. felt like the car had twice as much power than when at the track. Is there anyway to fix it from, starting out in second. To me the car was scary fast when it gets going. I am still grinning:D

Uh, running only 20 psi of fuel is gonna lean it out big time and make it go kaboom.

:stupid:

quit racing it around and get the issues sorted out before more stuff breaks. it takes 10 minutes to change out the fuel filter, do that and see where that gets you. if you still have low pressure, i'd swap out the pump. when you checked the fuel pressure, did you check it with the vac line on or off? either way, pressure should have built up when you gave it gas, not dropped off. after that, go to a junk yard and put a stock shifter back on. it'll hold you over until you get what you want and it'll be better than that POS wrong shifter you have in there now. it might even fix you 2nd gear launch issue.

GET TO WORK!!! :p

all this talk about fuel filters any pumps and nobodys asked if there was an adjustable regulator on the car...

either way, change the filter and make sure theres a vacuum line going from the regulator to the intake. if you dont have a regulator, GET ONE, set it to 38 psi, and see what happens.

Also like others said, stop driving the car with no fuel pressure. I also think that the tranny is probly junk, when they shake the whole car its never good, and the full throttle downshifts are gonna make it brake quick

I dont know if the car has an adjustable regulator. Where would it be at. And are they difficult to install. I am still new to all this so bare with me. As far as checking fuel pressure i just looked at the guage that is installed under the hood. Sorry I don't know ay more than that. I am doing my best to solve all of the problems

it will be on the fuel rail. if its chrome like the rest of the rail then its stock or has no provisions for adjustment. it should be at 32psi with the vac line on and 40 with it off. a quick way to tell is to pull the vac line off and smell for gas. if you do, then the baffle in the regulator is shot and that's your problem

Just take a pic of the regulator. Its behind the throttle body and just below it attached to the rear of the passenger side injector rail.
I was wondering about that before as well and was gonna ask for pics since the ones you posted dont show it but I forgot unill 90lxcoupe brought it up.

Good catch coupe. :nice:

it will be on the fuel rail. if its chrome like the rest of the rail then its stock or has no provisions for adjustment. it should be at 32psi with the vac line on and 40 with it off. a quick way to tell is to pull the vac line off and smell for gas. if you do, then the baffle in the regulator is shot and that's your problem

The regulator is black and there is one line hooked up and another hole on top next to it.

What is the tube that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body, mine doesnt have it? I will be changing the fuel filter this weekend.

The hole is eaither an allen screw or a flat head screw inside it. That is not stock and is adjustable. You need to see if you can adjust it to get 40 psi.

Car running with the vacuum line disconnected. Might want to cap off the line, but no vac to the regulator while adjusting. Set to 38-40. Generally, the computer will adjust to get the fuel ratio right but if there isn't enough pressure there will be low flow, which the computer can't fix if it's out of the limits.