Is it worth it? :(

klx_boy

Jul 2, 2006
:( Basically i have just bought a 1970 Mach1 Mustang which has a 351 cleveland in it.
At this time it dosent run, it needs a new battery and it also needs the fuel tank and system flushing out as it was ran on nearly an empty tank and its picked up some crap.
My main problem is the car overheats ALOT, it has an auxillary fan aswell as the original and they do absolutely nothing.
When coming to a stop in the car the engine just stalls or has a bit of overun and then dies, Then you have to wait at least 10 minutes before the car will even crank. If you try and start it under the 10 minutes it does nothing.(maybe thats a battery issue? Ive checked the alternator and it IS charging)
Its starved of fuel at the minute(hense the fuel flush) but the guy i bought the car off is gutted as i didnt get 3 miles away from his house before it broke down on me lol So said he would give me my money back.
What would you lot do? ive opt to get my money back but if i could get the car as is a little cheaper do you have any suggestions to fix it?
Thanks Scott :(

• Sponsors (?)

It's a 36 year old car so it will have issues forever so be ready to deal with them. You know that the fuel system is dirty so that won't help how the car runs. First thing I would check is the timing, this may be the cause of the overheating and stalling. Does the car have headers? The starter may be heat soaking, esp. if it starts after 10 minutes

Thanks for the comments, im going to try and get the car at a cheaper price.
It dosent have headers, just uprated mufflers. It has a holley 600 carb, eddlebrock intake manifold, Cam and forged pistons also.

Could also be he installed the head gaskets backwards. Or the radiator needs a good cleaning. What'd you pay for it ? And the fuel system, yea it's probably got trash in it after all these years, but simply running it dry, doesn't make it pick up the trash in the tank. The fuel draws from a set point in the tank, it doesn't change, if there's trash to pickup, it'll pick it up with a full tank just as easily.

If it's worth it or not depends on:

1. How much you paid and the overall condition of the car (read how much rust?)
2. How handy you are with a wrench, or how willing you are to learn.

My thoughts are when buying a classic, if you get a good rust free foundation, the mechanical problems can be worked out with time and patience. Heck, I don't feel comfortable in a car until I've gone through each and every system anyhow, replacing most things along the way.

Yeah im pretty confident as im a mechanic by trade over here in the uk but im only 20 and never worked on anything like this so it is a bit daunting.
The car itself has tonnes of history and reciepts/mots.
The car itself is an absolute stunner no rust or dents and the interior is immaculate.
I paid £10700 for the car.

klx_boy said:
Yeah im pretty confident as im a mechanic by trade over here in the uk but im only 20 and never worked on anything like this so it is a bit daunting.
The car itself is an absolute stunner no rust or dents and the interior is immaculate.

It's difficult to comment on whether or not it's a good deal since I'm not familiar with the European market - perhaps some of our European brethren here on stangnet can comment on that?

I think you'll find these cars quite simple to work on and very straight forward. If you get the Shop Manual you'll find very good instructions for just about any job. Stangnet is also a fantastic resource. Good luck!

klx_boy said:
hello yes its a bargain over here in the u.k,the plus side on the mach1 is its clean and rustfree.The mechanics are easy i have been working on mustangs since was 15 and havnt stopped yet.My username on mustang forum in uk is GT350.Regards javed
gt350.jpg

Attachments

• gt350.jpg
    gt350.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 66
If I'm correct, you paid over $20,000 probably close to $25,000USD.

That's alot of money, but it looks to be a beautiful car.

About all I can say is that the engine is the easy part when it comes to a classic car. The most time, money, and effort goes into fixing the rust, doing bodywork, paint, interior, etc...

klx_boy said:

Welcome SleekBody Owner....:D

If you have the basic working knowlage of Engines it is all the same just looks alittle different.

Start with the basics, flush...fill... inspect....adjust...listen and watch.

You have an advantage, Having the records.
This gives you a starting point, lay them out by dates and follow the trail of what has been done to it.
It could lead you to your problem like Dh said flipped head gasket, or just a bad thermostat.

And for under a Franklin(100.00usd) the Manual Set will tell you everything about it or where to look, It has pretty pitcures.:D

PB