Is my Master Cylinder bad?

SuperStang83

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Boyertown, Pa
Just recently my brakes have started to act up. I can push in the brake pedal and for about the first 2 inches it feels normal, but then it gets real stiff and it is tough to stop the car. I bled the brakes and topped off the fluid, took it for a spin and I can't even lock up the tires and it is raining! The car stops, but it takes a while longer than it should.

I have PBR calipers up front with ceramic pads and everything from the rear is from a 96' Mustang. I also have a '93 Cobra Master cylinder and a MM proportioning valve. Do you guys think it is the MC or is something else going on here?

Jacob

• Sponsors (?)

What booster do you have? Usually a hard pedal is from not having enough boost. A bad MC usually you have to pump it up to get stopping power since it goes to the floor easily, or the pedal stops, and then continues to drop as you hold your foot on the pedal. This is a result of the internal seals going bad.

It may be the booster because it feels like I am driving a car with manual brakes lately. Does that sound about right. Good suggestion 5L5, I overlooked the booster. I think I have the booster from a 93 Cobra, but will have to check with old_blue to make sure.

Jacob