Is pop culture killing us?

True but you cant blame it on the music. I wasn't born yet but weren't hippies contreversal to? What about the drug years?? When heavy metal was on top??

I was speaking in a general sense not getting at specific causes. I don't blame it all on music. This progression is affected by many factors. It would take me a little while to put together where I feel blame should be put because of the complexity of the issue.
- Justin

• Sponsors (?)

I was speaking in a general sense not getting at specific causes. I don't blame it all on music. This progression is affected by many factors. It would take me a little while to put together where I feel blame should be put because of the complexity of the issue.
- Justin

Oh ok. I see what your saying.

My girlfriend had the radio tuned to one of the local hit/hip hop stations today I hear this "So Crispy" song and the absurdity cracked me up. But I get so pissed when I hear the utter CRAP that people are mesmerized by (such as this song), I just fear for our future. I mean, I know music has been getting pretty bad but jeesus, it's just not getting any better. If this was Weird Al or Green Jelly, I would understand it's just all in humor, but this is all I see in pop/hip-hop anymore.

Seriously read these lyrics:
http://www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/k/Kinfolk-Kia-Shine/So-Krispy-Lyrics.htm

These ones just straight piss me off
http://www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/c/chingy/Make-That-Money.htm

http://www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/b/Baby-Boy/Rich-Boy-Lyrics.htm

WHAT???>>
http://www.anysonglyrics.com/lyrics/f/Fergie/Glamorous-Lyrics.htm

It used to be, people didn't want rap/hip hop putting ideas of gangs/violence/drugs into kids' heads, but now this? But how are any of the messages in any of these songs OK by any means?? It's like the record companies are pushing products and making people and kids want to buy all this crap.

When I see 13 year old kids in the mall with hundreds of dollars worth of garbage all over them, I can't help but link it right to mtv/hip-hop/american pop culture. It drives me FREAKING nuts. I saw a story in the local paper about people waiting in line 12 hours to buy an Apple iPhone. There was a huge picture on the cover showing the people standing in line, half of which clearly under 16. The article stated that most people had a friend with them so that the one person could buy TWO @ $600/ea!!!

Even 8-10 years ago in high school when I had plenty of disposable income (lived with parents), I never would have imagined blowing such a wad on something like that. Granted that's a personal choice of priorities since I just packed it all away to buy my Stang.

There's no wonder why the credit card companies do so well. In what way is it acceptable for people to spend 50% or even more of their gross income paying minimum credit card payments and thousands upon thousands for their wheels, fake gold teeth, $200 Nike shoes, $800 hand bags or their ultra-high end shopping sprees??? Am I way out of line with this making me angry? Am I just prudish and too conservative for putting a good chunk of my pay into a retirement plan every month? And not hitting up best buy for a couple big screens and a $2000 washer/dryer combo? Maybe I'm just too utilitarian. Is it just that my priorities are different and I shouldn't worry about other people?

Sorry, I know it's a stupid point but I just had to rant after hearing that "I'M SO CRISPY!" song.:bang:

I just had to bring this thread up again because of this:

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1518072&vid=155677

If I could make a stupid video like that and make a million bucks! Count me in. In my short live I have lived. I lived in poverty as a kid. My dad was never home cuz he was working to feed us. He always liked us well dressed, doesn't mean you need 100 dollar shoes and shirts and pants. I use to love the sonic shoes from payless :lol: Clean pants and shirt. I was happy. My dad and mom would take us out every Sunday to the swap meet and buy us a toy and food. As I grew up, my dad started to get paid really good. He bought land and built his first house. After that he built 6 more with-in like 7 years. Now hes(we :lol:) balling lol! Well not really but kinda. He aint gotta work if he doesn't want to. All that time we were happy. Money dont bring hapiness but it does ****ing help alot!!!!! lol!!! Wait money does bring hapiness!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

If I could make a stupid video like that and make a million bucks! Count me in. In my short live I have lived. I lived in poverty as a kid. My dad was never home cuz he was working to feed us. He always liked us well dressed, doesn't mean you need 100 dollar shoes and shirts and pants. I use to love the sonic shoes from payless :lol: Clean pants and shirt. I was happy. My dad and mom would take us out every Sunday to the swap meet and buy us a toy and food. As I grew up, my dad started to get paid really good. He bought land and built his first house. After that he built 6 more with-in like 7 years. Now hes(we :lol:) balling lol! Well not really but kinda. He aint gotta work if he doesn't want to. All that time we were happy. Money dont bring hapiness but it does ****ing help alot!!!!! lol!!! Wait money does bring hapiness!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

That's your coolest post ever Guero. :nice: