Is this a detroit locker??

jasonn

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
By Rochester MN
Never really seen one before so I don't know exactly what this diff is. It is definatly not an open or a 2 or 4 pinion posi. No shafts to hold the side gears. Another strange thing is they resplined some stock 31 spline axles to 28 when they narrowed the axles. Also has 4.86 gears which I might have to change out. They seem a bit much, but whe'll try them with the big 29 inch tire. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

milner351 said:
That sure looks like a spool to me, drag race only. It's solid, both axles turn the same RPM at all times.

Not sure about the splines, I'd figure most spools would be 31, but not sure.

i agree it does look like a spool to me as well. spools are generally 31 or 35 spline depending on the application. and yes some have even more splines for very high hp applications.

with the axles pulled, can you see a cross shaft when looking thru the differential? I thinks its either a detroit or a full spool, leaning towards the detroit though because it looks like it might have insides.

302 coupe said:
with the axles pulled, can you see a cross shaft when looking thru the differential? I thinks its either a detroit or a full spool, leaning towards the detroit though because it looks like it might have insides.

This is what I THINK also? It does have insides. I don't see any cross shaft. I have heard that that is the way you can tell if it is a detroit or not by looking at the case and the one side is fully machined (instead of a full casting like a trac loc) in which in this case it is. But looking at the other side you can see the cast part of it. A full spool would I think be just one piece of billet with the splines broached in. I can only think of one other possibility which would be that it is a detroit case with a mini spool inside?