jb weld - work on smog tube from heads?

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
While I was putting the smog stuff back onto my car, I noticed that the smog tube coming from back of the heads has a crack and small pinhole. I was thinking I could use JB weld but I'm not sure if it would hold up to the temp?? Any other suggestions for fixing the tube? I'd prefer not to have to replace it unless I absolutely have to since it looks like a pain. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I think JB weld will work just fine. Air only travels into the back of the heads, not the other way around. So while it might get up to underhood temps, it won't be nearly as hot as your exhaust.

I think JB weld will work just fine. Air only travels into the back of the heads, not the other way around. So while it might get up to underhood temps, it won't be nearly as hot as your exhaust.

So the pipe touching the cylinder heads wont equal the temp of the cylinder heads?

No point in risking it and wasting money on JB weld when the ceramic patch stuff at autozone/murrays/pep boys etc works the exact same way.

That exhaust patch is crap. It blows right out. I would go with the JB Weld. That pipe doesn't get that hot. It's got constant fresh air flow through it; you can grab it with your hand when the car is all warmed up.

Kurt

That exhaust patch is crap. It blows right out. I would go with the JB Weld. That pipe doesn't get that hot. It's got constant fresh air flow through it; you can grab it with your hand when the car is all warmed up.

Kurt

Thats unfortunate. It worked for me on a turbo header collector i was trying to modify that cracked. And im sure that gets a ton hotter than the tube on the back of the heads.

Well, I've never used the exhaust patch stuff, not doubting for a second that it will work. All I was saying is that tube doesn't get very hot because of the air pumping through it from the smog pump.

Thats unfortunate. It worked for me on a turbo header collector i was trying to modify that cracked. And im sure that gets a ton hotter than the tube on the back of the heads.

I tried to mend a small crack in a muffler with that stuff one time. Waited the 36 hours or whatever for it to cure. It blew right out.

Kurt