Joined a gym

I workout a ton, it keeps me sane. Jiujitsu is by far my favorite form of cardio. You get to meet up with friends every week and try to strangle each other for an hour and a half. :p Any of y'all ever trained any martial arts? Boxing, muay thai, wrestling, etc, are all great forms of cardio.

I wrestled from 6-7 to 16 I just lost interest and burned out from it. Talk about a good all around exercise though. Couple of buddies got into martial arts and they were shocked at how well the fundamentals/motions of wrestling on some points would be close to fighting martial arts...at least in leverage, mental quickness, balance, form, and the idea of counter moves and the like.

I have put on like 30-40 pounds in the last few years as I have slacked on the exercise and then started having ankle issues. :(. Damn it...

• Sponsors (?)

I just started running this past Saturday for the first time in 13 years. Wow, wanna talk about out of shape? I've been starting slow, easing my way into it, but I'm on a jog for 2 minutes, walk for 5 plan right now. The first time I did it, I even made it 4 miles and was pretty impressed that I could do that, considering I quit smoking 2 years ago and haven't done anything any different physically since then. Today I only did 2 miles, but I'm feeling like I'm getting a little less winded as I'm jogging. My legs were very sore for a couple days after the first time, so I hope I can keep up with this. Just keep at it Chris. You'll be right there with the workout, in no time flat. I may attempt something similar after I get some good endurance going. No matter what, even if you do less than the workout calls for, you're helping your cardiovascular system stay in tip-top shape and helping keep coronary artery disease away. :nice:

I workout a ton, it keeps me sane. Jiujitsu is by far my favorite form of cardio. You get to meet up with friends every week and try to strangle each other for an hour and a half. :p Any of y'all ever trained any martial arts? Boxing, muay thai, wrestling, etc, are all great forms of cardio.

I used to box in college but my new gym does not have the equipment. I've been thinking about trying out MMA but most of these gyms are $100+ a month!! :notnice:

Geez, 3 months already.

I am still doing this 2-3 times a week, with some cardio thing the other days.

So here is where I am ...

I am up to 10 un-assisted pullups the first time, and only 40 lbs of assist the rest.
I do the dead lifts with 90 lbs ... I know, not much progress, but they go pretty quickly
The floor wipers are still a killer, but less than before. I do them holding up a 90 lb barbell (supposed to be 135 lbs)
I am up to 30 lbs on the clean and presses, the last 10 I do 35 lbs.

It took me an hour to do it today.

It is progress I guess .... but I have not lost any weight and my pants are not any looser than they were at the start :bang:

NB: I am not posting this to brag or anything (God knows it is nothing to brag about!) ... it is just that this is the place I hang out the most and it is a great tool to record my progress.

You've made it further than most people, just by sticking with it past the first couple weeks. If it's weight loss you're going for, you need to get some cardio in somewhere. That's why I started running, except I broke my ankle and had surgery on it (unrelated to the running), so I had no choice, but to give it a rest for now. After I quit smoking, I picked up 33 pounds. Once this ankle lets me, I'll be getting back to running.

but I have not lost any weight and my pants are not any looser than they were at the start :bang:

I weightlift twice a week myself, so I know how you feel. I've actually gained weight; I don't do enough cardio to burn much fat but I'm putting on muscle. Depending on the training program, you may not lose any weight...but the fat will start to go away.

Are you on any sort of a diet? I'm not talking about some fad, but a lifestyle change to reduce what you eat. Many folks start exercising but end up eating a bit more and don't actually lose weight. You'd be amazed how many calories you can get from a latte and a muffin. Exercise doesn't burn a ton of calories in one sitting, so a couple of cans of soda could bring your net caloric expenditure down to 0.

I'm messing with my diet a bit, like not getting a bag of chips with lunch or not drinking soda at home. Small changes like that add up as you keep making them, and you may find one day your pants are looser than they were the day before.

that's the good thing about this program ... i need to go at least 12 times per month to get the discount. and you all probably know me well enough to know that i'm a cheap bastard.

i am doing some cardio, on the off days, usually tuesday and thursdays, but it's only like 30 minutes or so, and not terribly intense. i'm sure i should be doing more.

Thanks for bumping this Chris....i was getting bored with the "same o same" type of gym visit. I go at lunch at work. Helps me not eat as much as lunch....and i dont spend as much since im not out "eating with the guys". Even if i dont eat anything prior to, im never starved and can never eat a ton after i workout. So it helps me with calories there.

With your pull ups....how much do u weigh? I suck at pull ups lol.

Gonna give this a try starting Monday i think. :nice:

you are welcome nate! i weigh 210

today a friend told me about the P90X program, so i did a search for them on youtube. there was one routine where a guy was doing all these different things with a medicine ball, so i tried it. damn near killed me

I have the entire P90x routine on my computer in original .iso DVD format. If I burn it all to DVD, it's like 13 DVDs. I know a few guys who have used it, and it works, but it's tough.

Kurt

I did it. That is no joke! lol haven't worked that hard since highschool. (I'm 26)

I read the 300 workout was actually just a test for the actors and stuntmen just before training was done.... not a routine to follow.

So I stumbled upon this rippetoe routine that I did yesterday. Really like it especially with my restricted time slots for the gym.

If you are a newcomer to the weights looking to add muscular bodyweight, read this - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Gonna do this for a while while cardio on my off days....and give the 300 workout a run every month.

the good news ... i'm still going regularly :nice:

the bad news ... i'm stuck at 45 minutes for this 300 routine :bang:

but i have gotten to where i can do the first 25 pullups un-assisted, and am using the correct weights for everything but the dead lift ... i do them with 120lbs as opposed to 135lbs :cheers:

my goal is 30 minutes, but at this point, i'd be happy with 40 minutes.

i'm doing it on average 2 times a week, and jogging and doing other stuff the other days. the gym is almost exactly a mile away, so i have jogged there and done some weights and jogged back a few times ... that is a pretty good change up.

and my pants feel like they might be a little bit looser, but it might be that the denim has stretched. :shrug:

If you are trying to lose fat, the fastest way to do it (with proper diet) is LONG slow cardio. Things like 4-6 hour hikes on the weekends and/or bike rides will do the trick. The best results for me were a 2-3 hour mountain bike ride on Saturdays and a 5 hour hike on Sundays. 1hr cardio workouts are obviously good for strength, energy and muscle building, but to really get the FAT off, it has to be very long without too much intensity. It's incredibly hard to burn enough calories and trigger the right metabolic mechanisms in a <1hr period to make that happen. You HAVE to deplete muscle glycogen before fat starts to go and if the intensity is too much, you'll just lose lots of muscle with the fat and you'll look like Christian Bale in The Machinist. You will lose fat doing the short workouts, but you will plateau pretty quick unless you have genetics like that freakish Lee Hayward guy.

Keep in mind, that some people just have a healthy weight that consists of a relatively high body fat %. You will know when you get there. I know if I want to lose any more fat than I have now, I will need to go into some sort of really unhealthy diet (i.e. low-carb) or get HIV. For me to have a six pack would be extremely unhealthy.

OH and don't forget that the faster you do that workout, the less of a workout you get each time, so you need to modify it to last longer as you adapt.

unfortunately, i have only about an hour or so monday thru friday, and the weekends always end up busy with the honey do list and yardwork and working on the fairlane. sigh.

even though i haven't lost much weight, and the pants aren't noticeably looser, i do feel more fit and stronger than i have felt in years. even when i was 30 and biking to work every day and swimming a mile in under 30 minutes, i couldn't do more than 10 pullups at a time.

then again, now i'm doing well if i can swim a mile in 45 minutes. :mad:

geez, it sucks getting old. i think i'll try jogging more on the off days. :shrug:

Jui jitzu is the best cardio ever. i do judo and bjj and ive never gotten better cardio in my life. doing it 4 days a week for a month i dropped 20 lbs and my strength went up. Granted i went to the gym to hit the iron as well but i dont get sore anymore. I also do watch what i eat but dont go crazy with dieting. Green veggies help alot and fish.