Just A Thought

GREG91GT

Jun 3, 2004
MISSOURI
Has anyone ever tried making somthing to pump cold ice water threw there throttle body plate were the origanal coolant line are connected, see i dont have my lines hooked up anymore and i was just trying to think of a way to cool some of the incoming air this might sound dumb but its just a thought. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You would have to run liquid nitrogen or liquid oxygen to get it cold enough to cool the air passing through it. Condensation would be a problem as well.

Tim

EDIT: Liquid oxygen and grease or oil don't mix.

icing the intake works because it actually really cools the intake itself. Those coolant lines through the EGR actually cool the intake as well! the inert gasses passing through the EGR are 500-700*F, so 200*F coolant helps to cool the surrounding metal.

I'm still not convinced of the lines w/ coolant actually "cooling" the EGR spacer, but that's another thread. Regardless -- running ice water through there could only help as I see it -- if you have the means and motivation, go for it! :nice:

302GT said:
I always wonder if you could rig up the a/c to pump that cool air into the engine.I don't know if it would work but it might.

Rumor has it the new Lightning uses this technology to store an AC charge of cool air in a storage container and inject it into the intake stream. Supposedly good for 50-75hp but Im not sure how accurate that is...but boosted cold air is diff than NA. We will see!!

Ill have to talk to my uncle he is a robotics engineer. See if he has any ideas. Liguid nitrogen maybe. On a different note i still have my smog pump under the hood but the outlet that pumps air into h pipe isnt hooked up i unhooked it. I was thinking about plumbing a hose from smog pump air outlet to air intake hose. Not sure how much air that thing pumps and i know gains will be small if any but stuffing more air in engine is always good. Its just pumping air to engine compartment figured id try to get it into engine instead of wasting it. Anyone try that yet?

speedtrip said:
Ill have to talk to my uncle he is a robotics engineer. See if he has any ideas. Liguid nitrogen maybe. On a different note i still have my smog pump under the hood but the outlet that pumps air into h pipe isnt hooked up i unhooked it. I was thinking about plumbing a hose from smog pump air outlet to air intake hose. Not sure how much air that thing pumps and i know gains will be small if any but stuffing more air in engine is always good. Its just pumping air to engine compartment figured id try to get it into engine instead of wasting it. Anyone try that yet?

I dont think it pumps enough air to make a difference but i dont think it would hurt :)