keep loosing coolant at radiator cap area.

Killa

Jul 9, 2007
it happent about a month ago, my car running hot and I pop the hood, saw alot coolant where the radiator cap area, i have a farily new radiator cap pop it in, and it ran fine until today, it happent the same thing, what cause this ? I think I need another cap !

• Sponsors (?)

Couldn't the system be over pressurising?

The cap releases pressure once it gets to a certain point. If the system is over-pressurising, the cap is doing its job.

When you say the car is running hot, you mean overheating, correct?

Not that this should be taken as what the problem is, but it is possible you have a bad head gasket which is allowing pressurized air from the engine into the cooling system. That can also explain overheating issues.

Check your oil and coolant for discoloration.

Couldn't the system be over pressurising?

The cap releases pressure once it gets to a certain point. If the system is over-pressurising, the cap is doing its job.

When you say the car is running hot, you mean overheating, correct?

Not that this should be taken as what the problem is, but it is possible you have a bad head gasket which is allowing pressurized air from the engine into the cooling system. That can also explain overheating issues.

Check your oil and coolant for discoloration.

the car about to be over heat as soon I lose coolant, I turn off the engine right away. no blow smoke or milky color on oil.

I bought a new cap from ford, it have less then 1000 miles, and now it leak again, by the way CAN ANY ONE HERE TELL ME YOUR CAP MAKE A CLICK CLICK NOISE ?

today I bought a new cap from autozone and it dont make a click click noise, it just cant tight any more. I pop it in, purp the air out off coolant system, fill it up, tight down with new cap, did couple burn out, ran hard, can ran fine, no lose of coolant. I guess cap from ford is crap ! hope that true haha

It blew out coolant at the cap again, let me as ya'll few question,

is their suck thing is over coolant pressure ?

is their suck thing is over fill coolant ?

How you do properly purge the coolant system, make sure it have no air in it ?

thanks

i went through the exact same thing. at first i thought my car would run fine then overheat randomly, but it only happened when i was sitting or going too slow for too long.

i checked my radiator fan and it only came on every once in a while when it was supposed to. i replaced my radiator fan and havent had a problem since.

i just bought an aftermarket fan and installed it myself. cost me about $50
beats the $600 the dealership wanted for a new fan motor +labor.

How you do properly purge the coolant system, make sure it have no air in it ?

thanks

check to make sure the coolant levels are at max levels. then turn the car on with the reservoir cap off. this will allow the air to escape. the car needs to come to normal operating temperature/fan to come on.

as for the radiator cap, i am not sure if you should have this open or not as well. ive only had to deal with cars that have closed coolant systems that dont have radiator caps.

My bad about radiator cap or resavior cap, i think our car dont have radiator cap, only resavior cap.

This is weir guy, when im driving on the road, If im step on it, I smell coolant, then the temperture start to move to hot, then I slow down, then the temperture is back to normal ?????? , then after that I step on it or drive it hard, it still not over heat. wtf ?? is this have anything to do with the termostat or water pump ? thanks

the fan is normal.

This all happent 2 week after I did change out the heater hose, the one that have the restricter inside the hose,
I bought the hose from oreilly and take off the restrictor from the ford hose, here the question I want to ask you guy,

do you guy think I put the wrong way when I install the restrictor ? cause my coolant is way too much pressure and it push out the cap. it did again this morning.

my car has done it a handful of times too. Doesn't get hot at all, but will spew coolant out of the cap. Usually happens after I run the car hard. Like yesterday I took two friends for a couple hot laps to show em the new power after my tune and the first one went fine, then on the way back i smelled coolant and then parked and saw that it spewed out of the cap.
I dont have the restrictor in my heater hose .. YET. I just replaced the heater core a few weeks ago but it has done this before. I dont notice any coolant in my oil or vice versa.

Any ideas?

my car has done it a handful of times too. Doesn't get hot at all, but will spew coolant out of the cap. Usually happens after I run the car hard. Like yesterday I took two friends for a couple hot laps to show em the new power after my tune and the first one went fine, then on the way back i smelled coolant and then parked and saw that it spewed out of the cap.
I dont have the restrictor in my heater hose .. YET. I just replaced the heater core a few weeks ago but it has done this before. I dont notice any coolant in my oil or vice versa.

Any ideas?

How much water did you add to coolant ? I think I ran 70% water and 30% coolant few week ago, so when my car run hot it boiler and when it boiler it had so much pressure so it been push off the cap , so I replace the termostat and drain complete drain coolant system, refill with fresh peak 50/50 coolant, and car can perfect today, BTW oreilly have 2 peak 50/50 for 11 buck, no rebate, its every good deal.