Longtube Headers?

The sound won't be huge, don't change from shorty's to LT's for sound. I found LT's to be an easy header to install over shorties (have the option to come from the bottom), I've put 2 LT's exhaust systems on my car both by MAC (like mentioned above, love raspy sound of the Prochamber), also installed MAC LT's on my neighbors car in about 2-3 hours.

Ceramic Coated 1-3/4" by MAC for the win, I would never buy anything but ceramic after these, they never discolored.
headers.jpg

3" Prochamber by MAC. The sound is amazing.
3inchprochamber.jpg

3" Cat Back by MAC. With the Prochamber and this cat back, nothing but compliments.
3catback.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

For just a little more money, you can get an x-pipe that'll flow better than your h-pipe could. Personally, that's what I plan on doing.
No it wont, and his stock cam/head auto will not be able to take advantage of any flow gains and COULD be hurt by it SLIGHLTY.
yeah i was thinking about getting the x pipe but i didn't care for the raspy note that the x pipe has. i do realize that the x pipe flows and gives like an extra 3 or 4hp.
not it does NOT.

Not on a stock headed mustang which is only revving top 5400

I read a great article (I'll try to find it and post the link) about short vs. long tube, and X vs. H pipes, and other great scientific stuff about exhaust systems and myths, all tested and supported via a multitude of dyno tests and comparisons. I think it was called "The long and shorty of it" or something.
Anyway, I am thinking about sort of the same thing you are, so maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other. I have some JBA big-tube shorties, 2.5" off-road X, and Flowmasters, then all the way out the back. Everybody has Flowmaster or Magnaflow, so I want to be a little different and go with some Borlas. My research shows that the Borlas will out flow the Flowmasters and the Magnaflows by about 5 HP or so, and I love the sound! But, it's just not deep and menacing enough for me.
I'm thinking of switching my Track Heat intake for an R-Series (runner style, not box) and then switching exhaust system to something like this:
-1 5/8" ceramic LTs, 3" collectors
-3" X-pipe
-Borla Turbo XLs (3" single inlets, 2.5" dual outlets)
-1 outlet per side goes over the axle and out the back w/Borla tips
-1 outlet per side turns out and dumps before the rear tire
-Side outlets would be slightly restricted (70% out the back, 30% side)???

The reasons for the quad exit are that 3" pipes will not fit over the rear axle with my lowered car and 315 tires, and it's different! I really wonder how this would sound?
And, I am debating on whether or not to run some hi-flow cats just to smooth out the sound and eliminate the raspiness and refine it a little. Shouldn't hurt flow much, and should still perform well enough given that the car has a retarded 610 flywheel HP.
What do the experts think?

You should read a few articles before changing. 1 3/4 shorties actually will beat out entry level 1 5/8 LTS for overall power numbers in most Centri blown applications.

Stick with what you have, or go with the Hooker 1 3/4
their advantage is the Collector and its true 3' flange. Other companies 3 inch collector has a ball and socket flange and bottlenecks down close to a 2.5.

For exhaust on your application and clearance on a lowered car, you might consider a dr gas oval 3 inch X system and maybe even oval spintech pros.

You CAN fit 3 inch with 315s. You just need to make adjustments to the shape over the axle.

For the OP,

It doesnt really matter what you do. you really need to add up the cost. because there is more to it than just buying LTS. I would look around for a used set of MAC LTs personally.

I picked up mine for free and a Mac LT prochamber in a trade for my ORH. My sound was GREAt with my spintech streets and very mellow.

dont forget with LTs you will need 02 extensions.

sidenote: I ran foxbody LTs because I had already capped off my EGR tube on my BBK EL shorties that I ran with good success.

going to an OR system will make you feel like you have LOST power for regular street driving because you HAVE lost off idle power. The mod you should really spend your money on is a good Stall converter. 3.73s I would buy whatever exhaust system you can get the best deal on and get whatever catback you like the sound of. (I am partial to bassani real street and spintechs) All the combinations in the world are going to net you +/- 3 hp of eachother. The LT will have better area under the curve which will be best for your auto in the long run.

no one is mentioning the tuning effects that the LTs will have on your twitchy 94-95 computer ;)

alright thanks everyone. i've decided just to stick with getting just the o/r h for now and then ill get the LT's later on down the road. ill save some more and then get the LT's. quick question. this is a little off topic but im going to ask it any. does MAC make a better h pipe than BBK? I know they make good LT's now but not sure about their h pipes. I might have asked this earlier in the thread but couldn't remember.

no one is mentioning the tuning effects that the LTs will have on your twitchy 94-95 computer ;)

That's because I haven't had any. I have MAC long tubes and the same "twitchy" 94-95 computer. I used BBK O2 sensor harness extenders, added a DEI starter Versashield to protect the starter from heat soak, and added Taylor plug wire insulators to prevent the plug wires from melting on the header tubes.
I'm still running the stock 19lb injectors but with the fuel pressure raised to 45psi (vacuum off). Engine has a steady 800rpm idle in Park and 650rpm idle in Drive. No surges, bogs, hesitation, or other histrionics.

I've never had any tuning issues switching to long tube headers. I have heard of others having problems, but I think it's issues elsewhere that are causing them.

Kurt

...no one is mentioning the tuning effects that the LTs will have on your twitchy 94-95 computer ;)

The SN95 I am working on does not have LTs, HOWEVER, I want to put them on it, and have asked many LT owners, including those in this thread, about them, and NEVER has any of them said LTs were incompatible with SN95s.

???
Was the smile meaning this comment was 'tongue in cheek'?
Or was it serious?

Fact is that out of all the people I have spoke with, the MAC LTs have glowing reviews for SN95 compatibility and fitment.
Do you disagree?
Details?

Thanks!
Dave

Edit:
Maybe I am misunderstanding.
Do you mean that LTs smooth out a 'twitchy' computer?