Lookie what I gots!!!!

Poisoned Pony

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2000
Citrus Heights, CA
time to get serious!!!!

IMG_0893.jpg

I traded my entire Zex nitrous setup for this shortblock and some cash. I'm gonna pick up an engine stand from Harbor Freight this weekend and start tearing it down. I'm going with Cobra crank, MMR/Manley rods and pistons, probably a 9:1 compression ratio. I'm thinking a Vortech pullied for 12-14psi will top this :nice:

Also picked up these Romeo PI heads. I'm gonna strip them down, port and polish them up, fill them with ModMax valves, Comp springs, Ford OEM followers and lash adjusters. Cam wise, I'm leaning towards CMS Stage 2.5 blower cams
IMG_0895.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Sponsors (?)

Let me know if you have any q's. I just went through this whole process - even the blower cam selection (i think 2.5's are good for your vortech choice).
http://forums.stangnet.com/768412-new-purchases-questions-opinions-welcome.html
If you're going to only run 12-14psi I'd stick with a cast crank (plenty good for 600rwhp) and use standard main bolts, and even FRPP head bolts. Otherwise i'd say get a different head unit and turn up the boost!
Are you going to bore .20 or .30 over? Hows the block look?
I went 9:1 (well 8.9 or so with my heads ect) as well with Manley 18CC's. I know where you can get a deal on those possibly for a limited time.

Consider a real oil pump and pick-up as well.

Have fun!

Let me know if you have any q's. I just went through this whole process - even the blower cam selection (i think 2.5's are good for your vortech choice).
http://forums.stangnet.com/768412-new-purchases-questions-opinions-welcome.html
If you're going to only run 12-14psi I'd stick with a cast crank (plenty good for 600rwhp) and use standard main bolts, and even FRPP head bolts. Otherwise i'd say get a different head unit and turn up the boost!
Are you going to bore .20 or .30 over? Hows the block look?
I went 9:1 (well 8.9 or so with my heads ect) as well with Manley 18CC's. I know where you can get a deal on those possibly for a limited time.

Consider a real oil pump and pick-up as well.

Have fun!

I've been watching you thread on here like a hawk lol :D
I was going to stay with the stock crank, but it's only a 6-bolt one, meaning I'd have to change my flywheel and suck again (I just swapped in a FRPP Billet Steel). Block is in excellent shape, as far as Iknow, this shortblock only had a bad wrist pin to require it's replacement. I still think I may go .020 over just to be on the safe side.

I'm thinking either the FRPP oil pump or the MMR one, what are you going with? 7qt pan, yay or nay?

I've been watching you thread on here like a hawk lol :D
I was going to stay with the stock crank, but it's only a 6-bolt one, meaning I'd have to change my flywheel and suck again (I just swapped in a FRPP Billet Steel). Block is in excellent shape, as far as Iknow, this shortblock only had a bad wrist pin to require it's replacement. I still think I may go .020 over just to be on the safe side.

I'm thinking either the FRPP oil pump or the MMR one, what are you going with? 7qt pan, yay or nay?
Oh, so you have a 99/00 8 bolt cast crank. Well you could always find another 8 bolt cast crank or use your own. Or sell your flywheel and buy a used or aftermarket 6-bolt one for the same price. The cobra crank is usually quite a few bills and weighs more than the cast means more rotating loss. If you wont need it then it will hurt more than help unless you plan on revving past 6600 or so.
Oil pump I'm not sure yet. I hear of people with cobra pumps needing to get hardened ringsets - but not sure if i'll need that. Either a stock cobra pump and pick up or MMR's base one which is hardened already but costs more. Wont be using a 7qt pan, hopefully a stock cobra pan or my stock one.